Audio Technica Headphone Recommendation
Oct 24, 2012 at 5:09 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

lbbef

100+ Head-Fier
Hi!
I'm considering to get a new headphone to replace my Audio Technica ATH-ES55 which I bought in Sept 2010.
I'm considering the:
ATH-A900X/ATH-A700X (Read that many recommend the A700X to the A900X)
ESW9
ES700 (When it releases)

If I buy used headphones I could get ES10 and maybe the W1000X.

I listen to a variety of music. I'd be using it for portable use, but I'm not worried about the size/weight, I'm ok as long as it has good isolation and sounds good in both noisy (especially subway) and quiet environment.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance
bigsmile_face.gif

Oct 26, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #3 of 8
Quote:
I love my ESW9. I recommended them highly.

Me too! My only complain is that they are a bit uncomfortable. They sit on top of my huge ears and cause me discomfort after about 45 minutes of continuous wear. I feel like the headband is clamping my ears too tight, maybe that will loosen with time? Also I wish they were built a bit better, the wood on the headphones look better in pictures than they do in person.  The headphones also feel very fragile, I have been babying them. They produce the perfect sound for the type of music I listen to (Hip-hop, electro/trance/dubstep, and alternative rock). Bass is deep but not overpowering. 

Oct 26, 2012 at 9:23 PM Post #4 of 8
Quote:
Hi!
I'm considering to get a new headphone to replace my Audio Technica ATH-ES55 which I bought in Sept 2010.
I'm considering the:
ATH-A900X/ATH-A700X (Read that many recommend the A700X to the A900X)
ESW9
ES700 (When it releases)

If I buy used headphones I could get ES10 and maybe the W1000X.

I listen to a variety of music. I'd be using it for portable use, but I'm not worried about the size/weight, I'm ok as long as it has good isolation and sounds good in both noisy (especially subway) and quiet environment.

Any suggestions? Thanks in advance
bigsmile_face.gif

Get a secondhand ES10

Oct 27, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #5 of 8
The ESW9's are really good as recommended by others here. The only problem is that the sound is a little too colored for me and slightly condensed, comfort is also a slight issue. Regarding sound isolation you should be fine in the subway, but on an airplane which I travel frequently on, the isolation is really poor. Overall a great headphone in general though... I would avoid the ES10, and try to look for the rare ESW10JPN, they are quite pricey but IMO a more refined version of the ESW9's. Best of luck.

Oct 27, 2012 at 1:47 PM Post #6 of 8
Let's see... here's my experience:

ES55: up-front and light-weight presentation. Some upper mid accentuation, so it's quite sibilant. Common problem for most headphones so that's actually "normal". These are "natural-sounding" to my ears. By "natural", I mean it presents the recording very similar to the way I hear it in real life. Good microphone required, of course.

ESW9: warm, thick, full sound. Decent bass impact, but bass blends in with low mid so it's kind of hard to distinguish. Overall still a light-weight presentation. Treble does not extend that high, but it's only slightly behind ES55 in that regard. Midrange is absolutely smooth and lush... with some upper mid accentuation. It's slightly less sibilant than ES55 and more enjoyable overall. It's a more "laid-back" sound to my ears. Not necessarily "natural", but I'd grab the ESW9 if I want to sit back and relax... with cool air breezing in.

ATH-900X: very light and airy presentation. Soundstaging is huge... almost rivaling the likes of DT880 / HD 650. Bass has nice impact, but nothing to really write home about. Midrange may sound thin and veiled... especially compared to ESW9. Overall, it's like a lighter and airy ES55. I think the 900X is good for some gaming and movies, since the light presentation allows a more effortless listening experience.

ES10: polar opposite of all of the above. First thing that jumps out to grab you is just how much bass there is in this little headphone. In fact, forget comparing it to those headphones above. I think The ES10 has enough bass (in general) to rival the likes of HD 650, D2000, and D5000 in this price range. The impact that you can "hear" in the ES10 is really headache-inducing after just a short while, and it seriously makes the need for any EQ or "bass boost" redundant. Having this much bass is not necessarily a bad thing, but sometimes you just want to have a light and relaxing experience. The ES10 won't give you that. It'll bash your ears into your skull if given the chance. Funny enough, midrange and treble are very good as presented by the ES10. It has just the right amount of accentuation for both so as to not let bass drown out all other sounds. I think the ES10 gives the most "realistic" presentation... even though it's not "natural" (there is nothing "natural" about having your ears bashed into your skull). By "realistic", I mean it sounds "as expected" most of the time, and then it always adds just a little pinch of coloration in to make the sound somewhat... different. It sounds "nothing like the other headphones".

My personal favorite is the ES10, of course. But that doesn't depreciate the other headphones. I'd likely pick up any other headphone depending on the occasion. I just pick up the ES10 more because it has this... "unique" characteristic to its sound. But to be more technical, the ES10 has better instrument and vocal separation than both the ES55 and ESW9, so things are easier to pick apart in the ES10. That's probably why I grab it most of the time even though I know it sounds "colored".

Haven't heard the W1000X or 700X to really say anything about them.

Nov 2, 2012 at 9:17 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:
Anyone have input on the W1000X? I love my esw9s but they are really uncomfortable after an hour of use... the clamp on them is way too tight for my ears..

Smooth and romantic presentation ala Audio Technica, a bit on the bright side, noticeable peak in the upper midrange - treble, good bass ( mostly midbass ), good for low level listening

I would recommend a good source and amp on it even though an iPod can drive it

Users who are viewing this thread

Back