Audio-Technica EW9 and CK7 or CK9 and ESW9?!
Jan 15, 2008 at 8:10 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

DeTinux

100+ Head-Fier
Today I've heard the EW9 (the clip-on) and I was amazed at the sound... coming from a couple of Shures I'm not exactly an audiophile, and the EW9 was clearly the best thing I've heard ever, but isolation is a big issue here so probably an IEM will be better. I am filled with doubts.

It will be used for classical music.

All the best,

DeTinux

Jan 15, 2008 at 8:23 PM Post #2 of 25
I don't know ES9 but I thorougly recommend the EW9 for classical. Driven directly from an iPod 5G they sound superb. Once you get the knack of settling them on the correct spot, the bass is fine for classical. I wear glasses for reading and they are not an issue for me. If you don't fiddle with them then after a few minutes they become 'invisible' and all you are aware of is beautiful sound.

Jan 15, 2008 at 11:39 PM Post #3 of 25
Did you mean the ESW9? If so, they're quite different in terms of sound. They're definitely a step-up from the EW9, which the sound varies very much with the fit. They can sometimes change sound depending on my glasses!

The EWS9 packs a bigger punch, and a bigger bass overall. If you have the money, and you're comfortable with the headband opposed to clip-ons, I'd say go for the ESW9. Portability shouldn't be an issue. You'd be surprised how small they are, when you look at it in person.

Jan 16, 2008 at 9:56 AM Post #4 of 25
The OP said EW9 clip-on so was not talking about ESW9 !

Jan 16, 2008 at 11:32 AM Post #7 of 25
OP - please clarify here what you mean by ES9?

Jan 17, 2008 at 8:41 PM Post #8 of 25
Oh I'm very sorry! I meant the CK9, but I always get so confused with the typenumbers of Audio-Technica. It's meant for portable use, so the ESW9 is not an option...

Jan 17, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #9 of 25
Well, in my opinion, ESW9 is a portable headphone. I do own them and they are really small, good unamped, even better with an amp... But the do press quite hard on my ears, rather painful after an hour or so.

Jan 20, 2008 at 1:40 PM Post #11 of 25
I reconsidered my wishes and thought it would be better to buy one pair just for isolation in environments were I need that, and one pair for SQ. What's the better choice (my funds are rather limited):

1. EW9 and CK9
2. ESW9 and CK7

I really, really enjoyed the signature of the EW9, the only one I've tried so I prefer an Audio-Technica. I still find portability very important.

Jan 20, 2008 at 2:01 PM Post #12 of 25
With sound quality and portability combined, the prime solution would be for me the ATH-ESW9 which I have. It is seems slightly larger than the EW9. I owned the EW9 abut not at the same time, but I remember it well. The EW9 has the AT house sound and it very good sounding to me. But the ESW9 is a much better in everything audio and it's fit is better, more secure on my head. It sets on your ears not around them. Audio-Technica seems to have been working on getting their 40 mm diameter drivers to sound excellent with a lot of success lately. I have the ANC7s and they sounding very good but they really don't have the same tonal character as the ESW9 which is very good in my opinion. The ESW9 is designed to be portable and driven my a MP3 player. But if you have the tools (amp) then it will scale well.

ATH-ESW9 gets my vote out of those.

Jan 20, 2008 at 2:27 PM Post #13 of 25
Thanks, I probably order them tomorrow from my local reseller, along with the CK7. I wonder how the CK9 and the CK7 compare, since I am not allowed to preview these (the ESW9 is not available temporarily, but can be ordered within a couple of days, so I might preview that one first).

Jan 20, 2008 at 3:01 PM Post #14 of 25

Users who are viewing this thread

Back