Audio Technica ESW10 vs ATH-W5000
Dec 8, 2008 at 5:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

Jalo

Headphoneus Supremus
I am interested in the above two phone but have not been able to find too many comparison between the two phone in terms of SQ. If the W-5000 is better, how much better is it. Also in terms of sound leaks, how good is the ESW10 in terms of seal. Can it be used on airplane without distucbing others? Please help.

Dec 8, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #2 of 40
completely different pair of cans, mate.

W5000 is dedicated home headphones that requires good amping and has its strength in detail and is on analytical side, while ESW10s are designed for portable use and don't require as much amping and is very involving pair of cans.

as for the seal, they won't disturb anyone in the plane, but I would use IEMs or noise cancel ling headphones for that purpose.

Dec 8, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #4 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
completely different pair of cans, mate.

W5000 is dedicated home headphones that requires good amping and has its strength in detail and is on analytical side, while ESW10s are designed for portable use and don't require as much amping and is very involving pair of cans.

Yes I know they are different class of head phone with different amp requirement. But that aside, what are the SQ difference between the two? Are you saying that the W5000 is not as involving? or the ESW10 is not as detail and analytical? Cna anyone shed more light beyond the general? Thanks alot.

Dec 8, 2008 at 5:34 AM Post #5 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by moonboy403 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I find the W5000 to be very intimate and involving.

yes, but ESW10 is more so.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jalo /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes I know they are different class of head phone with different amp requirement. But that aside,

So how do you compare two headphones objectively while ignoring different amp requirements? - and not attribute the SQ difference to amp and source? I'm lost.

Quote:

But that aside, what are the SQ difference between the two? Are you saying that the W5000 is not as involving? or the ESW10 is not as detail and analytical? Cna anyone shed more light beyond the general? Thanks alot.

W5000's strength is in it neutrality, details, and soundstage imo. ESW10, on the other hand, is meant to be used as portable, so it's not as analytic and have lush, thick midrange, and thunderous bass, but less tonally accurate or as detailed as W5000.

So you're thinking of getting them both? one or the other?

EDIT: I like both, but I'm waiting until I get a decent amp for W5000s, since they are very picky about amping.

Dec 8, 2008 at 5:50 AM Post #6 of 40
Quote:

yes, but ESW10 is more so.

W5000's strength is in it neutrality, details, and soundstage imo. ESW10, on the other hand, is meant to be used as portable, so it's not as analytic and have lush, thick midrange, and thunderous bass, but less tonally accurate or as detailed as W5000.

So you're thinking of getting them both? one or the other?

Thank you so much for your input. I have both home and portable amp set up so I can use my ph in either settings. I have the sr71a, P51, and Predator. I understand that the SR71a is like a home amp replacement in a portable setup. So I think I can drive the W5000 either at home or on the road. I am just interested in getting one of these two phones. The reason is that if the both have similar house signature, I may not be interested in getting both phones. Just like HD 600 and HD 650. I just need to get the best of the two. What do you think?

Dec 8, 2008 at 5:58 AM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

Thank you so much for your input. I have both home and portable amp set up so I can use my ph in either settings. I have the sr71a, P51, and Predator. I understand that the SR71a is like a home amp replacement in a portable setup.

I wouldn't call SR71a as full-on home-amp replacement...It's not up to the task of driving W5000. It's a wonderful portable amp, but it's not a giant killer. For me, I've liked HA5000 and GS-1 with W5000.

Quote:

So I think I can drive the W5000 either at home or on the road. I am just interested in getting one of these two phones. The reason is that if the both have similar house signature, I may not be interested in getting both phones. Just like HD 600 and HD 650. I just need to get the best of the two. What do you think?

Hold off on W5000 until you have good source and amps, and go for ESW10s first, as you would be using them on the road. W5000 deserves better amping than portable amps as they thrive off of tons of power and neutrality in amps.

Dec 8, 2008 at 6:06 AM Post #8 of 40
Thanks for your input. That sounds like a good suggestion.

As a portable phone, how high would you rank the ESW10? Who are its equal and/or competitor? Cost aside, is there any other portables that are clearly better than the ESW10?

Dec 8, 2008 at 6:10 AM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

As a portable phone, how high would you rank the ESW10?

higest.

Quote:

Who are its equal and/or competitor?

Equal? None in portable cans. Main competitor would be ESW9, but ESW10 does everything better than ESW9.

Quote:

Cost aside, is there any other portables that are clearly better than the ESW10?

I believe you would have to look at full-sized cans or UE customs to get the same level of performance.
wink.gif

Dec 8, 2008 at 6:12 AM Post #10 of 40
I pre-ordered my esw10 (hopefully to arrive this Weds) about 2 months ago after trying both the 10 and 9. The esw10 costs about twice the 9s but I feel is worth it.

You should get the esw10. Chances are you'll like them, and even if you don't you can still sell them without much loss since they're still pretty much in demand.

Dec 8, 2008 at 6:17 AM Post #12 of 40
Quote:

I believe you would have to look at full-sized cans or UE customs to get the same level of performance.
wink.gif

I have two pairs of UE 10 pros. Have thought about getting the UE 11 pros but give up the idea because of how similar they are. But sometimes I do enjoy wearing a headphone instead of IEM mainly because they seem to have bigger sound image. Your description of the ESW10 as being intimate and involving do appeal to me. I love that knid of sound presentation especially with vocals. Thanks much.

Dec 8, 2008 at 6:20 AM Post #13 of 40
What is a good place to get the ESW10?

Dec 8, 2008 at 6:39 AM Post #15 of 40
Quote:

Here's a little review I did between ESW10JPN and AD2000. I hope that helps.
wink.gif

http://www.head-fi.org/forums/f103/i...ad2000-382665/

That is a very nice and quality review. Thanks for point it to me. How long do you think the burn in period ought to be with this phone and do you think a recable is needed?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back