Audio Technica ES10 or ESW10 or W1000x without an amp?
Apr 15, 2010 at 12:27 PM Post #31 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Currawong /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I guess I'll have to see if I can borrow a pair of ESW10s again and take them with me to compare to the ES10s. Might be easier once my Pico Slim arrives.

Currawong, When you are doing your comparison give this a try; last night while listening I just decided to fluff the pads and to my amazement it made a difference to the soundstage and what I mean by that it opened things up alittle more. You'll notice a bit more detail also.

Apr 15, 2010 at 12:42 PM Post #33 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by Rideau /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Currawong, When you are doing your comparison give this a try; last night while listening I just decided to fluff the pads and to my amazement it made a difference to the soundstage and what I mean by that it opened things up alittle more. You'll notice a bit more detail also.

interesting, ill try that
what material u use to "fluff" it?
biggrin.gif

Apr 15, 2010 at 12:44 PM Post #34 of 43
Running your finger under the inner of the pads and squeezing. Also don't push the cups on your ears for a tight seal, just kinda position them into place for a good fit.

Apr 15, 2010 at 1:00 PM Post #35 of 43
I had a chance to listen to es10 a while back in the store. keep in mind that all the headphones there were hooked up to a central amp and played music i am not familiar with. as for my short impression, it was very bass heavy to the point I felt it was almost boomy rather than tight, quality bass. also, compared to esw10s I felt the soundstage was narrower and less overall clarity in the mids probably due the the lower end overwhelming the sound signature.
build wise, they did seem a bit sturdier than the esw10s, but in overall looks i prefer the urushi finish which is a subjective matter for each individual. as for the earcup size difference, didn't really pay attention but I believe they felt almost same so comfort wise there wasn't much difference, both being pretty comfortable for me as i have rather average to small ears.
as I said in the beginning, having no control of the many factors such as amp, music, noise level etc. my impression should be taken with a grain of salt and not a definite comparison. so I look forward to currowongs comparison of esw10 vs es10 when he gets a chance.

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:37 PM Post #36 of 43
Add me to the list of people SUPER interested in a detailed comparison between both, since the ESW10 seems a bit more exciting to me (because they're supposed to be one of the midrange kings), but it is double the price of the ES10 where I live.

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #37 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by MayaTlab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Add me to the list of people SUPER interested in a detailed comparison between both, since the ESW10 seems a bit more exciting to me (because they're supposed to be one of the midrange kings), but it is double the price of the ES10 where I live.

sad isn't it considering the street price of esw10s were almost the same as what es10 are today, ~$500.

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:47 PM Post #38 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by LevA /img/forum/go_quote.gif
sad isn't it considering the street price of esw10s were almost the same as what es10 are today, ~$500.

The ES10 can be had for around $380 on some import websites (excluding customs).

Apr 15, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #39 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by MayaTlab /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The ES10 can be had for around $380 on some import websites (excluding customs).

thats a very nice price!

Apr 15, 2010 at 5:59 PM Post #40 of 43
I loved the ESW10. Their sound was very full and alive to me. I have since moved on to the ATH W5000 and could not be happier.

Apr 16, 2010 at 1:41 AM Post #41 of 43
inspired by the ad2000 phatpad mod
i thought well the pleather pad on my es10 is kinda "flat" as well,
got no real comfort issues as opposed to ad2000 owners out there , but curious on the result, I tried it nonetheless

so i stuff the underside of the pads with few extra foam i could find, careful not to cover any "holes" on the driver enclosure..

result is...
great comfort increase, no kidding, as much as i love es10 after a few hours my ears kinda sore, this mod eliminates that problem altogether..

hmm great so far, so hows the sound?
i love the bass on stock, but the bass is push up a notch here, probably because there's more air to move.. if u already think the bass on es10 is already too much, u wont like the change here
it sounds fine for me, i dont mind extra bass hehe, but this will overpower the mids on SOME songs, which brings me to the next change..

vocal is recessed, omg this turned my headphones into denons! lol j/k.. dont be mad at me denons fans out ther..
so songs like Hey there Delilah where theres bass guitar (or normal acoustic guitar playing deep note? i dunno im a noob anyway) going on in the background, the vocal seems so distant and it will sit behind the bass...
live recording vocals will sound distant as well...
Not to say this change is all bad, it does makes some recordings that has a very forward vocals sound very nice.. I would say those who like relaxing tones will like this while those seeking clarity will absolutely hate this lol...
one worthy note is that listening to old metallica albums is so much better now, hmm.. do rock songs favor a V frequency response or is just my listening preference?

I would say the soundstage opens up a little, but not so much that it can compete with opens HP out there, it is still closed afterall... seperation is also a bit better, this might help it a bit on those metal songs...

highs... i dont know where or how to find the difference, it still has those sparkle before, maybe it is tamed a bit? but i dont know for sure, cymbals still has that adequate decay.. but i would say that the overall presentation of music is much more relaxed now..

i find diana krall songs to have that warm lush sound im looking for now ... before this only norah jones songs gave me this impression while i always thought diana krall sound colder... overall i quite like the change.. but if u already hate how es10 sound in the first place this will not cure it, rather it emphasize it LOL

damage:
none, found some koss extra foam i bought month before, it is rolled up to be stuffed inside but still can be use lol...
but this does makes me think about denons as my next can.. need to auditioned first to confirm but i quite like this sound signature..

pictures:
do we need this? it looks just like a normal es10 but the pads are swollen LOL

Source:
Laptop (Foobar + Wasapi) --> uDAC --> LD MKV

Apr 16, 2010 at 8:59 AM Post #43 of 43
Quote:

Originally Posted by 2rooi123 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i enjoy my stock es10's. no need to mod to avoid any scratches

uhuh.. im fine with the stock es10 also... its just a little experiment and it allows me to find out more of what this beast capable of.. and it just take 5 minute anyway huhu

but really, how can u get scratches by stuffing the underside of the pads with foam...
confused_face_2.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back