Audio Technica EP3's as everyday IEM's???
Jan 9, 2011 at 6:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

cruecu

New Head-Fier
Just joined yesterday after a long time lurking. My background in sound is a writer/producer who sometimes has to mix my own demo records when my engineer is unavailable on short notice. I recently just developed this obsession for great sounding headphones. I have pairs that range from cheap and boomy to old classics like the sony v6 handed down from my father.

I can't find anything about using these EP3's as everyday IEM's. My wife somehow was given these headphones when she didn't have her pair for a show. The guy said they came with some of his equipment. She knows nothing of headphones and figured they must be a 5 dollar pair. After months of her abusing them, I happened to walk by them and notice the Audio Technica logo. I cringed. I looked them up to find they came as part of one of their monitoring sets. $119 was the msrp for the phones. I found some tips that fit my ears well and popped them in well. The sound is clean but lacks the bottom end I'm guilty of loving with my kramer modded marshmallows. I figured this would be the perfect place to ask about using these everyday and their quality. A search here brings up nothing. A google search doesn't bring up much more. Anyone listened to these before and can compare to some of the higher rated IEM's 100 bucks and under? Thanks in advance. This site is amazing. You can lose a lot of hours here.

Feb 25, 2014 at 3:20 PM Post #2 of 4
Sorry for reviving such an old thread. I am very intrested in this old iems. Has anybody the experience of them? I have an opportunity to buy them cheap that's why asking.
Thanks in advance.
PS I tried to find more lively thread about ep3 but failed.

Feb 25, 2014 at 3:45 PM Post #3 of 4
Hard to drive and the locking plug is probably an issue to live with.

Unless they are like $20 probably best to step up to a new model like the IM50 which has many more fans for good reason.

Sep 1, 2014 at 8:53 PM Post #4 of 4
Fwiw we have the m2 in-ears at my church. The ep3's also came with these in-ears. I bought my ety er4's not long afterwards. I knew the ety's were better, but didn't realize how much until yesterday. I got to church and realized I had forgotten my ety's. I didn't have time to go get them so I grabbed a spare set of these we had. Omg. They are horrid IMO. The are super bass heavy, no clarity in the mids, and ice pick highs. We use a digital board, so I turned on the GEQ on my send and went to work. I used a deep low shelf from about 200 hz down and dialed out a bit of high end too. Which got me by. Luckily everyone but the piano player has bough different in-ears, but I am going to get the piano player something different ASAP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back