Audio Technica CKS70 Appreciation and Impression Thread
Feb 11, 2010 at 12:00 PM Post #166 of 176
Curiosity got the best of me so I decided to order a pair of teh CKS70. Currently have the Fischer Eterna which I am loving for the warm and impactful bass. The music just engulfs me and I get lost very easily.
smily_headphones1.gif

Should hopefully be here from AccessoryJack in a week or so.

Feb 24, 2010 at 7:53 PM Post #168 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by Dregur /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just ordered my pair, hopefully they get here by Friday...

Got me some Sony Hybrid Tips as well to go along with them!

Be sure to try some genuine regular Sony EX tips as well. I think the CKS70's are the type of phones which benefit from ear tips with the wider opening than what the hybrids have.

Feb 24, 2010 at 8:06 PM Post #169 of 176
Quote:

Originally Posted by cn11 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Be sure to try some genuine regular Sony EX tips as well. I think the CKS70's are the type of phones which benefit from ear tips with the wider opening than what the hybrids have.

Well from...someone's review I read that hybrid tips open more when the tips are in the first position compared to the 2nd. But I'll definitely take a look at the EX tips as well! Thanks!

Jun 10, 2010 at 9:16 AM Post #173 of 176
Hi people

I'm new to this forum, but I've been reading some of the threads since february or so. I decided to post a comment here because I just got my CKS70 yesterday, thanks to this thread, and I'm thinking to open a new thread about this IEM, more specifically about it's burn-in response behavior.

I've been searching the web for spectrum analyzers, which might help clarifying if the burn-in process does really play a role in the spectral response of the phone driver.

I know this is kind of geek stuff, but I never found anything like that in matter of IEM analysis... As I don't have a calibrated source for comparison nor a calibrated microphone, I think a relative comparison between the spectra of the brand new phone and the burnt one will show some result.

As I'm not experienced with sound equipment, I'd appreciate if someone could help me, suggesting the best type of test to make or what kind of sound sample to use (sweep or noise)....

Do you think this is a valid try or is this just waste of time?

sorry for the bad english, i'll try to improve it next time... :)

ah, aswering the question of Hannyjuca, the Porta Pros are on-ear phones, and as far as I know, they have less sound isolation then the in-ear ones, but their dynamic drivers are bigger, which allows for more soundstage and theoretically better sound quality over the whole range of frequencies. If the ambient noise doesn't bother you, I think you won't have a problem with the Porta Pros, but the bass response of the IEM's are usually better, as they close your in-ear channel and create an air chamber that improves the bass perception. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please :)

Jun 10, 2010 at 9:37 AM Post #174 of 176
Here is a thread I have started that is really more about burnin process and such. I can't remember the name of the software I am using but I will post it when I get home tonight. I would not recommend using the burnin file I give a link to in my thread though, but the link also has another file listed that uses more white and pink noise versus brown noise that would be more suitable for such a bassy IEM. http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/495812/a-tale-of-2-iem-s-montser-turbine-copper-1-vs-monster-turbine-copper-2-how-different-burnin-techniques-gave-me-two-unique-iem-s

Quote:
Hi people

I'm new to this forum, but I've been reading some of the threads since february or so. I decided to post a comment here because I just got my CKS70 yesterday, thanks to this thread, and I'm thinking to open a new thread about this IEM, more specifically about it's burn-in response behavior.

I've been searching the web for spectrum analyzers, which might help clarifying if the burn-in process does really play a role in the spectral response of the phone driver.

I know this is kind of geek stuff, but I never found anything like that in matter of IEM analysis... As I don't have a calibrated source for comparison nor a calibrated microphone, I think a relative comparison between the spectra of the brand new phone and the burnt one will show some result.

As I'm not experienced with sound equipment, I'd appreciate if someone could help me, suggesting the best type of test to make or what kind of sound sample to use (sweep or noise)....

Do you think this is a valid try or is this just waste of time?

sorry for the bad english, i'll try to improve it next time... :)

ah, aswering the question of Hannyjuca, the Porta Pros are on-ear phones, and as far as I know, they have less sound isolation then the in-ear ones, but their dynamic drivers are bigger, which allows for more soundstage and theoretically better sound quality over the whole range of frequencies. If the ambient noise doesn't bother you, I think you won't have a problem with the Porta Pros, but the bass response of the IEM's are usually better, as they close your in-ear channel and create an air chamber that improves the bass perception. Someone correct me if I'm wrong, please :)

Jun 10, 2010 at 2:43 PM Post #175 of 176
Thanks dweaver, I've just took a look at your thread about the burn-in and figured out that what i'm expecting to do is almost the same analysis, except that I'll use a FFT graph to see the whole spectrum, not just a few bands or a few frequencies.

I know that it maybe not work at all mostly because the shape of my mic, which is built-in the screen of my notebook, but I've noticed that the mic is really sensitive, responding to frequencies up to 30kHz, and that my soundcard allows for up to 96kHz sampling, at 24 bits, so I expect a very detailed set of data.

The idea of the rubber tubing at the end of the tip sounded promissing to me, since I wasn't able to figure out a practical way to fit the tip of the phone to the hole of the mic without letting the air scape (because this would ruin the bass response)...

Maybe the cooler fan becomes a problem... if it turns on, the noise becomes fairly audible through the mic input. Hopefully this will not mess up with the final data, as I'm expecting to make a relative measurement, subtracting the ambient noise, and at a volume level far louder than the fan sound =D

Ok, tomorrow night I'll try to start the test, since I don't have the phones right now. They are with my brother and he didn't open the box yet...

Jul 23, 2010 at 9:47 PM Post #176 of 176
I just bought them from another member.Wow! I have to say i think they have more bass impact then my Atrios(which i have sent back,still on warranty because they fell apart).Very full,deep with great extension.But yes they are unbalanced because of the laid back highs.The Atrios are more balanced without losing that great bass.But i changed the tips to Sony's EX and with my Cowon S9 they sound excellent and a lot more balanced because of the great EQ.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back