Audio Technica CKM90 for $106?
Apr 28, 2010 at 1:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

aspenx

100+ Head-Fier
Hello head-fi seniors.

I'll be heading to Japan next month and thought it'd be a great chance to get myself some Audio Technica equipment (seeing that the products are marked up so much outside of their domestic market).

I haven't been using IEMs for some time after some of my Sennheisser MX series earphones (I think) crumbled to pieces accidentally. I worry about the build quality of IEMs as I'm not that careful with my possessions and have managed to spoil some other earphones up till a few years back...

However, the CKM90 looks great with it's titanium finish and all. AND, it sounds remotely affordable to me. I've managed to track down the street prices, found where I can get the CKM90 for the lowest price and read some reviews (in Japanese) on it. Strangely, there doesn't seem to be any reviews of it here on head-fi.org. Is it because it's not worth mentioning or are they that inaccessible?

If you could spend USD 106 on this, will you?
Need some more opinions to help me out. The reviews for the CKM90 also seem to somewhat pale in comparison to the CKM70 which is a dynamic design unlike the CKM90's armature design. I've only listened to dynamic ones so far. In what aspects will it sound different from the m50 I'm used to listening to? Also, the impedance of the CKM90 seems much higher at 51 Ohms. All the audio gear I own are listed in my signature and it doesn't include a portable amp that I might need to use with my mobile phone which is the only "audio-capable" device that I shall be bringing along on my trip...

I will really appreciate it if owners of the CKM90 or other similarly-priced AT IEM owners can give me some input on this. I have also considered the CKS90LTD but am afraid that it might not be as neutral as I'd like (although I lament that my m50 doesn't give me enough bass...). I listen to female vocals mainly. I like a variety of genre from bossa nova to r&b.

Again, please give me some input! I don't know when I'd get to visit Japan again so I'd like to make a good informed decision. Willing to consider anything around this range barring the CK9Pro which is too expensive for me atm.
frown.gif

I know I can just audition them when I get there, but am afraid there might be too many "unforeseen constraints" and I might not be able to do it objectively.

May 2, 2010 at 5:55 AM Post #3 of 24
There is less information on CKM90. I did a quick search and someone said that CKM90 is similar to CK10, but with more bass, if this means anything to you.

Yes just spend some time to audiotion in shop. I suggest trying Ortofon e-Q7, Victor FX500 and FX700, and Radius TWF11R. These are some IEMs which you can get for the lowest price in Japan. They are however more expensive than CKM90, but as you have said, you don't know when your next visit to Japan would be, if I were you, I'd stretched my budget.

May 3, 2010 at 4:04 PM Post #4 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by KLS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
There is less information on CKM90. I did a quick search and someone said that CKM90 is similar to CK10, but with more bass, if this means anything to you.

Yes just spend some time to audiotion in shop. I suggest trying Ortofon e-Q7, Victor FX500 and FX700, and Radius TWF11R. These are some IEMs which you can get for the lowest price in Japan. They are however more expensive than CKM90, but as you have said, you don't know when your next visit to Japan would be, if I were you, I'd stretched my budget.

Thank you!

Yes, CKM90 being comparable to CK10 does speak a lot because the CK10 is about double the price! It sounds counter-intuitive though that the CKM90 will be better (more bass = better to me) seeing that it is only a single BA whereas the CK10 has 2 armatures.

I'll try to audition the other IEMs you have listed too. My budget is limited though because I have a load of photography (the bigger evil) stuff to buy too.

Alas, I wish I could afford more time and $$$...

In the meantime, I'll be trying out the SoundMagic PL50 which I got for a decent price locally to have a taste of what armature IEMs are like first.
beyersmile.png

Thanks again for your opinion.
beerchug.gif

May 3, 2010 at 4:15 PM Post #5 of 24
I have to admit that photography stuff dries your wallet faster...Currently eyeing a Leica X1...Which could buy me 2 sets of JH13...

If you search there are plenty of reviews on SoundMagic PL50. Considering the price it is worth trying in my opinion, even if they turn out to be not for your music preference
regular_smile .gif

Went to a electronics shop today and I saw some CKM70. The finishing of these are very good. But no CKM90 there.

By the way, where usually you buy photography/audio stuff in Japan?

May 4, 2010 at 12:33 AM Post #6 of 24
Ouch. The X1... That is some serious damage.

I've read the reviews for the PL50 and know that I might not like them, but the postman should be delivering it within the next two days anyways.

The CKM70 is common here in Singapore too. They look great already but the CKM90 seems more alluring. haha.

I don't have any specific places where I "usually" buy gear in Japan because this will be my first time there since getting more involved in photography. I only had a Lumix point-and-shoot then but this time, I'm lugging my D700, with a DC lens, flash, and some other legacy lenses. I'll be heading to the second hand stores in Nakano for Nikon stuff and Omori for medium-format gear. As for audio stuff, the big stores like Yodabashi and anywhere along Akihabara may not be the cheapest but certainly does provide a chance for auditioning a wide selection. However, you can get the stuff at slightly better prices in the suburbs like Murauchi in Hachiouji so I'll be checking that out. But strangely, Amazon.co.jp seems to be able to offer an even lower price than the brick and mortar shops quite often. Just not very sure how I can get them to send the stuff to me without a permanent address in Japan. I could get them to send/forward back home but that defeats the purpose of going there in the first place...

Are you by any chance residing in Japan at the moment?

May 4, 2010 at 5:59 AM Post #7 of 24
So you know where to get your stuff. Great
beerchug.gif

This is a very useful site to compare price, but sometimes they miss the lowest price available...
kakaku.com

Fujiya Avic in Nakano? There are plenty of second hand audio stuff there too.

You are from Singapore? I know less about Singapore, but I know there is always Jaben in Singapore
tongue.gif

I am living in Japan
regular_smile .gif

May 4, 2010 at 8:19 AM Post #8 of 24
I upgraded from CK7's to the CKM90's. If you can get it for 106$ I think its definitely worth it. For your genre of music choices, CKM90 should fit you well :)

May 4, 2010 at 8:41 AM Post #9 of 24
@ OP, there are so many top end IEM made in Japan, if I were you, I'd definitely grab the chance to audition them. Meanwhile, I am having eargasm with my FX-700 into the morning...
Since I came from Malaysia, from my understanding, certain imported earphones are very very expensive in our place...I hope you find what you want.

May 4, 2010 at 12:13 PM Post #11 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by KLS /img/forum/go_quote.gif
So you know where to get your stuff. Great
beerchug.gif

This is a very useful site to compare price, but sometimes they miss the lowest price available...
kakaku.com

Fujiya Avic in Nakano? There are plenty of second hand audio stuff there too.

You are from Singapore? I know less about Singapore, but I know there is always Jaben in Singapore
tongue.gif

I am living in Japan
regular_smile .gif

YES! I love the site. I use it all the time, even if I don't have anything specifically that I want to buy. The reviews there are really great. Does kakaku tend to miss out on the best deals? I don't think I know any other reliable sources for information on bargains.
frown.gif

Yes, I'm from Singapore and looking forward to some relief in Japan from the terribly hot and humid freak weather we're having these few days. I don't go out these days unless I really have to. Not much chance of me auditioning anything here. And I don't know why, but I feel awkward walking into Jaben, so...
confused_face_2.gif

Anyways, I know I'm missing out on a lot of stuff, but it keeps my wallet safe. haha.

Really envious that you're living in Japan... It's home to so many things that I like. I thought of making it my home too, but it'd be too tough (financially) for me to survive there alone with a entry level job because I'm still a fresh grad.
frown.gif
I guess I'll just have to live with visiting the country whenever I can (while saving more money here instead).

May 4, 2010 at 12:16 PM Post #12 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by wenhui /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I upgraded from CK7's to the CKM90's. If you can get it for 106$ I think its definitely worth it. For your genre of music choices, CKM90 should fit you well :)

Thank you for voicing your view!

I see that you have the M50 too. I find the bass to be very dark and muddy on a lot of bass-heavy music. In your opinion, how much does the CKM90 perform better in the bass region?

May 4, 2010 at 12:19 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by koonhua90 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
@ OP, there are so many top end IEM made in Japan, if I were you, I'd definitely grab the chance to audition them. Meanwhile, I am having eargasm with my FX-700 into the morning...
Since I came from Malaysia, from my understanding, certain imported earphones are very very expensive in our place...I hope you find what you want.

Yes... Sadly, a lot of Japanese goods cost so much more in SEA.
(The higher end) ATs are very expensive here too.

I'd be sure to allot some time to auditioning the FX-700 too. It's out of my budget but at least I'd get to know what "high-end" means I guess. I only hope I won't act against reason and end up spending beyond my limits...

May 4, 2010 at 12:22 PM Post #14 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by DigDub /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i have a pair of the ckm90. definitely not worth the time and money.

Is it really not worth it even for USD106?
AFAIK, and as far as I've read on this forum, AT seems to be quite reasonable with your price positioning strategy (i.e. price being positively related to quality).

Were you able to get a good fit with the phones? Did you try other tips?
Do you want to sell it to me for cheap since you think they're not worth it?

Please let me know.

EDIT: I just read your brief review of the CKM90. I noticed that it was back in 2008 when you reviewed it. Did it get better for you after burning in? "The mids sound nasal" is quite worrying for me.

May 4, 2010 at 1:51 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by aspenx /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Thank you for voicing your view!

I see that you have the M50 too. I find the bass to be very dark and muddy on a lot of bass-heavy music. In your opinion, how much does the CKM90 perform better in the bass region?

The M50 is fairly neutral in bass for me actually. Maybe it could sound "tighter" for an improvement, but I mainly use the M50 for composing/tracking as compared to actually purely listening to music. However the M50 hasn't really proved me wrong yet for being a "neutral" headphone, thus my opinion of bass on the M50.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back