Audio Technica CKM-55 IEM Unboxing (w/Pics)
May 2, 2010 at 10:18 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

kent1146

100+ Head-Fier
It's been a while since I've posted on these forums, mostly because my interest in the headphone hobby has declined over the past few years. But during a recent business trip, I was lucky enough to be in Taipei, Taiwan, where I wandered over to the Guang Hua electronics market (a geek's dream). A store that specialized in headphones and portable music players had caught my eye, so I decided to stop by and see what they offered.

Specifically, I was looking for something that was a little different than my standard pair of IEM's that I took with me everywhere I travelled (Etymotic ER-4P). While I love the sound of the analytical sound of the Etymotic ER-4P when I am physically stationary, I was looking for a set of canalphones that was better for running around in airports.

Since I love the sound profile of my Audio Technica ATH-A900's, I decided to pick up the Audio Technica CKM-55 IEM's. I spend $1690NT, which is approximately $55US.

So far, I am very pleased. These headphones are very
  1. Noise isolation (8/10)- on-par with headphones using similar single-flange rubber tips.
  2. Sound quality (7/10) - comparable to what I associate with the Audio Technica sound profile. Rich sound, with a slight emphasis on clean and clear low to mid frequencies.
  3. Soundstage (8/10) - soundstage and instrument separation was pretty good - much better than what I had expected out of a pair of headphones in this price range.
  4. Comfort (10/10) - This is by far my favorite part. Lightweight headphones, with a lightweight cord that doesn't "pull" on the headphones when you are wearing them. By far the most comfortable pair of IEMs I have worn while on the go, without sacrificing one bit of noise isolation.

Overall I am very pleased. These headphones certainly will not have the best sound quality out there. But at approximately $55US, these headphones totally reset my expectations that you needed to spend >$100 on a decent pair of IEM's. I would consider these to be an excellent value for those looking for comfortable IEM's while they are on-the-go.

So anyway, here's the pr0n:

20100502173027.jpg

20100502173131.jpg

20100502173200.jpg

20100502173241.jpg

20100502173326.jpg

May 2, 2010 at 12:23 PM Post #2 of 2
They look good. I was always tempted to buy the gold CKM55's.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back