Audio Technica CK100
Mar 13, 2009 at 2:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

[J]-ohn

New Head-Fier
*Forgot my old nick's password... so this is the my new nick*

After a second listen yesterday, I got it at a very attractive price from my local headphone store. ^_^

CK100.jpg

Not only I got the Audio Technica CK100, I got myself the latest Ultimate Link Affinity-i....

CK100_UL.jpg

And the Valgrind Audio pouch for my I-Qube.

CK100_VA.jpg

Impression of the Audio Technica ATH-CK100

This CK100 like the other AT high-end IEM is made in Japan, comes with a very neat black case to hold the IEM. The CK100 is ultra light and easy to wear, it can be wore over or under the ears depending on your preference, personally over the ears provided me with a better fit and isolation.

The CK100 works very well with various amps like RSA mustang or Headamp pico, Iqube being my favourite combo. I tried the CK100 unamp with the Sony MP4 player my wife is using and they work well with EQ settings without distortion or sounding bright.

I personally have the Shure SE530, UE triplefi10Pro and had just sold off the Westone 3 recently.

Comparing to the Shure SE530, I feel the vocals beat the SE530 flat down. Before this, I always feel the UE and Shure had a different sound signature and I might just like any of the vocals depending on my mood or music preference but with the CK100, it was obvious the CK100 was wayyy better in the vocal dept.

Having own the SE530 for the longest period among all, I felt that the botton end (mid and low bass) was slightly too bloated (or muddy or loose) for my taste and gives me ear fatigue sooner than the UE. This reminds me when I was once hunting for a headphone and auditioning the Beyer DT770 (SE530) with the Senn HD600 (CK100).

UE triplefi10pro was an IEM I quite like but never could get a good seal but I guess I'm not alone. :shifty: Tried comply and sponge and black olives but non work well enough for me, CK100 seals tight and best of all, I couldn't feel a thing at all when it's in my ears.

Coming from the Etymotic ER4S, the treble and midrange qualities of the UE triplefi10pro was the better among the Shure and Westone but still it wasn't smooth enough, and I miss the ER4S. Listening to the CK100 now, I don't miss the ER4S anymore.

Bass. Yes, everyone should be curious how this IEM performs in the bass dept. Bass is tight, clean and define, so if you have a track with 3 bassists playing side by side, you should be able to tell who is playing what without stressing your ears.

The CK100 definitely do not have the bass quantity found in the Westone 3 and Shure SE530 but I very much find that the bass on CK100 is more than sufficient for my genres of music preferences.

Mar 13, 2009 at 2:47 AM Post #2 of 15
Wow, second known CK100 owner. May i know how the bass fare compared to triple.fi? I personally like triples a lot but the size not favorable. Fit not an issue for me.

I'm interested to know how triples fare overall against CK100? Mind telling why W3 was goner? Thanks!

Mar 13, 2009 at 2:49 AM Post #3 of 15
Great impressions!

That audio pouch is neat.

Where do you locate?

Mar 13, 2009 at 5:43 PM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ottoyu34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great impressions!

Where do you locate?

Might be from singapore. They just started selling these at here for around USD400.

Mar 15, 2009 at 1:17 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by toughnut /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Wow, second known CK100 owner. May i know how the bass fare compared to triple.fi? I personally like triples a lot but the size not favorable. Fit not an issue for me.

I'm interested to know how triples fare overall against CK100? Mind telling why W3 was goner? Thanks!

The W3 bass wasn't my cup of tea, a little to muffled and bloated, but that's just me.

The Triplefi10pro is not bad except the it loses to the CK100 in terms of vocal clarity and I like the tonal balance I hear on the CK100 over the UE. Of cos, fitting was an issue for me.

Mar 15, 2009 at 1:19 AM Post #8 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by ottoyu34 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Great impressions!

Where do you locate?

I'm from Singapore, got the pouch, cable and CK100 from this headphone store I usually frequent. www.stereo.com.sg But they have not updated the iqube pouch, new cable and maybe even the CK100.

Mar 15, 2009 at 1:43 AM Post #9 of 15
Interested in trying these as well.

Apr 2, 2009 at 2:46 PM Post #11 of 15
woo from singapore!! listened to them when i went to audition ie8s and westone 3s. didn't really have much time, listened only for a short while. didn't get a good seal with the small tips that were already on it, so pushed it in. very strong vocals, i must say. really loved it when listening to an acoustic song

Apr 3, 2009 at 5:02 PM Post #14 of 15
Btw, here the specs from yesasia.com for CK100.

Features:
- Higher dimension sound that triple Baransd armature driver plays.
- The triple Baransd armature driver (two way three drivers) Careers by enabling the wide cooking stove reproduction.
- The model equipped with the miniaturization and the triple Baransd armature driver achieves minimum in the world size * with the titanium housing. (*2008.9 our examination)
- A triple driver is driven by an ideal balance by the network of a special design.
- Form (foam) unpleasant peace attachment to make comfortable installation feeling united to high sound insulating properties.

Finally we can have a miniature three-ways cooking stove in our ears
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 3, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #15 of 15
But still no toaster, I'm disappointed. Shame on you, AT.

icon10.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back