Audio Technica ATHW1000 - Should I amp?
Jan 9, 2007 at 1:47 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

cide

New Head-Fier
have the W1000 myself, Running on a SB-XFI Fatal1ty unamped, Through the drive bay panel connector.

Been great, Have had them a year now. The only dmg is slight scratches and a couple tiny tiny nicks in the wood, that you cant see unless you examine closely. I have brought these to work 35% of the time, Out in public, To friends houses, Everywhere. They have fallen many times too, Man these are awesome.

Just a little curious if buying a ray samuels hornet would improve them at all for my use.

I listen to tons of metal, Black metal, etc. Forgotten Tomb, Melechesh, Runemagick, Opeth, Vintersorg, etc.

I also listen to stuff like the Shins. These headphones sound pretty good on everything, They are honest though. You put a good recording or at least a good source into them, and they will rock your **** off.

I mean that too, playing bass through my comptuer into the headphones sounds kinda bland.

When I plug these directly into my bass amp which is a Fender Rumble 100 omg you can hear such amazing things, Its just... Orgasmic.

Heh. The bass just growls and ****ing moans coming through my bassamp output! Its almost as if the headphone amp on that thing is worlds and worlds and worlds better than whatever is in the X-fi fatality, or the fatality doesnt handle proper input of the bass guitar - Either or.

So yeah,

Should I buy a Hornet or something? Pretty much all my music is Lossless CD (Flac, etc) I have about 300gb of high quality MP3 files though as well, 400gb lossless... I only wanna blow 400$ cash if its going to make a difference, Otherwise I'm going to continue saving for the new dell 30" LCD which will replace my 17'er

Jan 9, 2007 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 5
You might want to do these simple mods and see if you really want (or need) an amp: http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=216676

I find that just about any amp is good with these mods....even $100 amps. For a change...."happy for your wallet"
icon10.gif

May 12, 2008 at 11:10 PM Post #5 of 5
Yep, the Yamamoto HA-02 is a great amp especially with the right headphone and the W1000 is considered to be one of those. The Yamamoto is designed for approx. 50 ohm impedance.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back