Audio Technica ath900 vs AKG 271s
Mar 27, 2005 at 3:47 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

grandcross

New Head-Fier
The ATH900 swallows the AKG with its hugeness! D:

Aha, joke. Well, anyway. I've pretty much came down to these two headphones for my first step into my audio journey (or technically second - I got the shure e3cs before I even knew of this place). Both of these cans are within my price range ($200), have pretty much exactly what I want (decent enough - or at least suitable bass response, very detailed and decent all around), but the problem is...which one?

The 271s has a bit weaker bass, but can be fixed by an amp. Amps may be out of my price range right now, but if I made the plunge to increase the bass to the 271s, would they be able to surpass the A900? Also, a small problem that I've read with the 271s is that the pleather would make your ears sweat...when it comes time for summer where I live, I'm going to be having fans on all over, and the sweat would probably get to me rather fast. Is the a900 better suited for this? Or is there some replacement I could have for the 271s?

I hope that whatever choice I make between these two headphones is that I won't have to rush back here demanding more. But I also plan on getting the Grado SR60s (I listen to metal/rock quite frequently, and due to the overwhelming popularity and credit the Grados get, Id like to get a taste of the Grado sound). Hopefully that won't make me burn holes through my wallet. . .

so uh, a900 or 271s? >_>

Mar 27, 2005 at 3:54 AM Post #2 of 5
I've owned both the K271 and the A900 together for the past several months. My source is an Echo Indigo DJ (line out) to a PPA. I find myself listening to the K271 most because I prefer their sound signature and isolation, but I would be completely happy living with either headphone. Note that an amp does not "fix" the K271's lack of bass, unless of course you add bass boost.

Mar 27, 2005 at 5:49 AM Post #4 of 5
I own the K271, and have briefly auditioned the A900. I much prefer the sound of the 271. The A900 has more bass, but the 271's midrange is much more involving, to me.

Oh, and not to break your budget or anything, but I found that a Zu Mobius helps bring out the bass a bit
600smile.gif

Still, your best bet is going to be to audition these phones. The A900's harder to come by, but you should be able to find a pair of the 271s to try out without much of an issue.

Good luck, and I hope you find happiness in whichever headphone you decide on!

Mar 27, 2005 at 5:48 PM Post #5 of 5
Basically what plus c said... The K271S has a beautifull midrange, more tame highs and a nice detailed lower end. The A900 has a hollow midrange, shrill highs and strong lower end. With good amplification the A900 improves slightly, while the K271S really comes into its own and completely trumps the A900 at this point. Add a Zu Mobius and the sound will refine to the point where they can easily be compared to some of the high end open headphones like the Sennheiser HD600. The AKG K271S also has a very nice unique soundstage. I've always had the impression that I am sitting in a small room for a private audience with the band. It's a nice effect.
cool.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back