Audio Technica ATH-WS70 review
Oct 31, 2011 at 8:51 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

vinland029

Head-Fier
Hi guys: I'm actually quite new here but I've been lurking around for sometime. What brought me to head-fi was my need for a portable hi-fi set up (come on who lugs around their component systems). However due to a limited budget i'm often short of equipment. I haven't seen this headphone on Head-Fi probably due to the way it's being marketed, but I auditioned it without knowing about it's capabilities so I'm not sure what's going on here.

Sales Package
Just a box with the headphones. Supposedly these are the flagship of AT's "overwhelming bass" line. I expected more (like cases) especially since I've been into IEMs like Shures and UEs, well stocked with accessories.

Initial Impressions
Well I've got at least 100 hours under the hood, but just a word for people who probably just purchased them. I bought them because they sounded much like the Denon D1100s (which I unfortunately could not purchase as I lacked cash), and the guy at the store recommended them. Truthfully I didn't know about the overwhelming bass marketing hype until I saw the box. Initial listening will put these cans to shame: they probably sound like beats (I've only heard the Beats Tour, so I'm comparing to that). Burning is obviously essential (of course I was disappointed I did not hear them at its peak as soon as possible)

Comfort
Comfort isn't a strong point of this. The circumaural pleather pads arent' comfortable. Thin, and the clamping force is huge (especially when it's new). I haven't tried modding them: the pads don't seem to be replaceable. But it's adequate for use. Forget about comparing to the Beyerdynamic DT770s: these lose hands down.

Build Quality
Build quality is decent. The aluminium enclosure should warrant this. However the black finish may be prone to scratching so I strongly recommend a case.

Audio Quality
This aren't the most detailed cans you can find. Probably the first things that gets to me is the recessed mids. Bass sometimes overpowers it (especially in certain genres like rock/metal).

Bass has impact. However it probably has a lot of decay: it isn't as fast thumping as BA IEMs. The highs are clear, but not as crystal clear as I would've loved. It takes alot of burning in to bring them out to their best. The mids are the weakest of the lot: you don't hear texture in the vocals.

Soundstage is expansive: but coming from IEMs I'm not really sure how expansive the soundstage can be. I've heard Grados and obviously these pale in comparison.

Conclusion
I wouldn't say this was a regrettable purchase. For the price (188 SGD) it's actually quite decent. But I'd rather get the D1100 as they sound more detailed to me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back