Audio-Technica ATH-W1000
Mar 24, 2007 at 9:49 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

Chiliman

500+ Head-Fier
So, after many hours of being forced to listen to my headphones (which let in enough noise at it is) while my room mate watches tv, right next to me, i have realized I my living situation calls for some closed cans. These ones have caught my eye.

I have read a few reviews, and tried searching, but no past threads can give me the information i wanted.

Basically, I just want to know how these sound in comparison to SR225s and some personal experience stories would be nice too.

Thanks

Mar 24, 2007 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 8
While they do isolate, the cups themselves are pretty thin. That means that if there's a TV next you, you should be able to hear a little bit of it. Your roommate will also be able to hear a little bit of what you are listening to. Don't get me wrong, it does isolate some.

As for impressions, the SR-225's have a similar signature to the RS-2's in my opinion, just a little less refined. Anyways, in lieu of posting my impressions here, I shall refer you to mine here:
http://www.head-fi.org/forums/showthread.php?t=225011

I also would like to add that I had been to my first classical concert, Berlioz's Symphonie Fantastique. It was really moving. Coming back home, i listened to the cd over again with both the RS-2's and the W1000's and I found the W1000's to be the closest of the two to the real thing. I definitely prefer the W1000 for laid back music as well as all types of classical (including very busy works). The RS-2's still are better with rock, however.

Mar 24, 2007 at 10:34 PM Post #3 of 8
Dunno. I have the w5000s and I wear them at work. They also don't isolate as well as say.. an IEM, but they do the trick well enough and when concentrating on work/music I don't notice ambient noise all that much.

Oh, plus I like how they sound.

Mar 24, 2007 at 11:04 PM Post #4 of 8
As posters above have noted the W1000s are not totally isolated and sound does leak out to others in the room.
With the right amp the W1000 becomes a very good headphone with a large headstage and quite a detailed sound but they can still be driven quite handily from portable devices although they do sound more closed in.

I use them for all types of music and my son prefers them to my RS1s for rap although like almost all ATs(except the L3000) they're not bass heavy.

oops, missed the bit comparing to the 225s.
For me and in my systems the Grados dont seem to extend as far in the higher notes as the ATs although they probably have a fuller bass sound, maybe with a bit more in the lower mids. I think overall I'd keep the W1000 ahead of the Grado with the right amp,unamped perhaps the other way. If that sounds like fence sitting I plead guilty as I dont think either phone has a distinct advantage over the other. Pride of ownership and build quailty is a no brainer, the Grado isn't even in the race.

Mar 24, 2007 at 11:07 PM Post #5 of 8
Be careful, these expensive W1000s might disappoint you when you're used to your grados. I remember clearly that folk from the german forum who almost threw them in the bin because they sounded too thin. And he's an extreme anti-basshead for sure.

Mar 25, 2007 at 1:11 AM Post #6 of 8
Well, maybe I will go to the International meet in san jose, it isn't too far from me, i am sure someone there would have some W1000s i could try. I don't think any cans will ever really be able to do music for me like the grado's. The impact these 225s have blew my mind.

Mar 25, 2007 at 2:41 AM Post #7 of 8
I gotta agree with Nickchen. The W1000's are very analytical. Accurate, clean. that's why I love them. But the Grado house sound, from my SR-80's is more bright. If you like the bright Grado stuff these aren't for you. For sound isolation with an analytical sound I go for my ety 4S. Sound will bleed in with the 1000's unless you play them very loud. I'm listening to my W1000's right now. Quite nice.

Mar 25, 2007 at 2:46 AM Post #8 of 8
Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiliman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, maybe I will go to the International meet in san jose, it isn't too far from me, i am sure someone there would have some W1000s i could try. I don't think any cans will ever really be able to do music for me like the grado's. The impact these 225s have blew my mind.

Now that we can test - maybe not w1000, but the balance of w5k and the bass reach is not to be trifled with. (alot of things are really in the combination, and I personally don't like Grado brightness, but my current fav, w5k has been noted by another head-fier to be brighter than his rs1?)
Although w1k is known to be more sporadic in the mids so that really has to be tried, especially with your system. I am sure w1k matched with the Yamamoto is awesome, but hell thats another rig on the spot xD

Edit: also from my experience - Grado brightness happens to be great volume in upper mids / lower highs, while ath series happen to extend batter which for some may sound also brighter. Neither is definitely recessed so thats not something to worry about.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back