Audio Technica ATH-TAD500 | Review and Comparisons
Aug 28, 2012 at 7:52 AM Post #17 of 32
@chicolom

Thank you for this review. According to MLE the AD700 has the biggest soundstage of all Headphones - so if this one has "a lot less" is it still good compared to other good Headphones ?

Is it better for pure Gaming than PC360 for example?

Thanks.

Best

Thomas

Aug 28, 2012 at 8:00 AM Post #18 of 32
@chicolom

Thank you for this review. According to MLE the AD700 has the biggest soundstage of all Headphones - so if this one has "a lot less" is it still good compared to other good Headphones ?

Thanks.

Best

Thomas

Of all headphones I have personally tried, including the K701. The K701 has a really long width, but not as much depth. The AD700 is huge all around. The PC360's soundstage is smaller, but not by much. It's really big too. I prefer the PC360 due to a better balance in sound. There's no reason to go for the AD700 if you can afford the PC360.

Aug 28, 2012 at 8:25 AM Post #19 of 32
@MLE
Thank you. Because of this I wanted to know how the AT 500 compares to the PC360,because chicoloms review sounds promising except for the much (?!) smaller Soundstage than the AT 700.

AT500 is also around 50 US Dollar cheaper here in Germany.

Best

Thomas

Aug 28, 2012 at 12:14 PM Post #20 of 32
Quote:
Mostly balanced with a bit of midrange emphasis? I like the sound of that!

Unfortunately, the small soundstage kills it for me. I don't expect that out of an open-back headphone.

Exactly.  AT almost nailed it.  If only these had a larger more 3d soundstage.  I would've recommend them over the Senn HD5xx and others in the $100-200 range. 

I'm very picky about soundstage though.  If your OK with a Grado-ey soundstage, they're still an excellent choice in the under $200 range.

Quote:
@chicolom

Thanks.

Best

Thomas

PC360 is better for pure gaming.  The TAD500 have a better signature than AD700 (and as good as PC360), but not enough soundstage for me.

Aug 28, 2012 at 1:27 PM Post #21 of 32
How much less Soundstage than PC 360?  Can you specify?

Its not so heavy like the PC360 and I think for ME more comfy than PC 360.

And its 50 bucks cheaper!

And I can use an separate Mic.

Also I´m only used to the closed and wireless Sony Headset with Virtual Surround 7.1. This is absolutley stunning for me and the only thing I´m missing is more Bass.

Or do you have some other (cheaper/better) Headphone recommendation for me?
(60% Single Player 40% Online ) I often play 5-6 Hours in one session. (then SP Games)

Best

Thomas

Aug 28, 2012 at 5:45 PM Post #22 of 32
Quote:
How much less Soundstage than PC 360?  Can you specify?

Its not so heavy like the PC360 and I think for ME more comfy than PC 360.

And its 50 bucks cheaper!

And I can use an separate Mic.

Or do you have some other (cheaper/better) Headphone recommendation for me?
(60% Single Player 40% Online ) I often play 5-6 Hours in one session. (then SP Games)

Like I said, I can't really recommend them for gaming based on soundstage.  Their soundstage is similar to a Grado SR80i.  It might have more soundstage then your Sony wireless headset, but I have no reference to what the Sony headset sounds like.

The PC360 are pretty darn light IMO.  Not sure if the TAD500 are any lighter. 

If the PC360 is too expensive you can always look at the HD518/558 + a mic.  The Samson SR850 are cheap and supposedly good, although I haven't heard them.

Check out this thread > http://www.head-fi.org/t/534479/mad-lust-envys-headphone-gaming-guide-updated-8-28-2012-dt990-premium-updated

Aug 28, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #23 of 32
Quote:
Exactly.  AT almost nailed it.  If only these had a larger more 3d soundstage.  I would've recommend them over the Senn HD5xx and others in the $100-200 range. 

I'm very picky about soundstage though.  If your OK with a Grado-ey soundstage, they're still an excellent choice in the under $200 range.

I've never actually heard a Grado in action, though I met someone with an SR-60 once. However, I didn't get the opportunity to actually listen to it that time.

What I do know is that part of the reason I'm going Stax these days is that all-encompassing soundstage and imaging, so I really don't want any other headphones to fall short there wherever possible.

Oct 27, 2012 at 6:59 PM Post #24 of 32
What genres of music do these things excel at?

I actually have the TAD-300 and I really like them, but they almost sound too warm. I think because it's quite cheap, the separation isn't great, making it sound a bit congested. Treble is completely rolled off too, with the bass not very detailed.

I would assume the TAD-500's are more detailed with better soundstage, but would you say there is any kind of veil? If these are as dark sounding as certain Senn's are then I wouldn't be too interested. I can't imagine AT making a veiled open set of cans though.

EDIT: Also how do these compare in value to the AD-series and the HD-5xx series? Considering they are cheaper than both, do they perform admirably in comparison?

Oct 27, 2012 at 10:19 PM Post #25 of 32
Quote:
What genres of music do these things excel at?

I actually have the TAD-300 and I really like them, but they almost sound too warm. I think because it's quite cheap, the separation isn't great, making it sound a bit congested. Treble is completely rolled off too, with the bass not very detailed.

I would assume the TAD-500's are more detailed with better soundstage, but would you say there is any kind of veil? If these are as dark sounding as certain Senn's are then I wouldn't be too interested. I can't imagine AT making a veiled open set of cans though.

EDIT: Also how do these compare in value to the AD-series and the HD-5xx series? Considering they are cheaper than both, do they perform admirably in comparison?

Probably genres that like a slight midrange emphasis.  Not sure what that would be, maybe Pop stuff.... Whatever the mid-range lovers are listening too. 

I don't think they're that warm, but they are warmer than other ADx00 phones (but those are pretty bright, fast, and treble-ey).  Going off memory, they're sort of like HD5xx in regards to treble.  I'm assuming the TAD500s are less veiled than the TAD300, but I haven't heard the TAD300.

I think given the price they're a good value.  They're nicely balanced, and they hold up to the HD5xx in everything except soundstage.  The HD5xx has a more 3d soundstage with more separation.
They beat the ADx00 in balance (better bass, less sibilant treble, more midrange), but again they lose out in soundstage.

Dec 6, 2012 at 7:38 AM Post #26 of 32
Sorry to dig up an old thread, ha, but I found that I can get these things for $100 incl. shipping - is this a good deal?

Considering this is quite a bit cheaper than the AD- and HD- open lines, I am assuming it's a pretty good deal, but I just wanted to ask someone who has had experience with them.

Dec 6, 2012 at 7:27 PM Post #27 of 32
Quote:
Sorry to dig up an old thread, ha, but I found that I can get these things for $100 incl. shipping - is this a good deal?

Considering this is quite a bit cheaper than the AD- and HD- open lines, I am assuming it's a pretty good deal, but I just wanted to ask someone who has had experience with them.

I think that's a fair price.  The TAD and AD series are different sounding.  The TAD have a more forward midrange, better low end, and less sibilant highs than the AD700.  Overall they're are more balanced sounding and have more genre bandwidth.  The AD still beat them in soundstage.

So it comes down to what you're looking for in sound.

Dec 6, 2012 at 7:36 PM Post #28 of 32
That actually sounds like it might suit me well. From your description I have a feeling these may sound quite a bit like the WS55 but with mid emphasis instead of bass emphasis. And with me being pretty sensitive to sibilance these might be wonderful for me. Thanks so much

Jun 18, 2013 at 2:39 AM Post #30 of 32
Quote:
can you compare them to the ath m50? please! i need to decide witch ones i will buy!

I haven't heard the M50s, but from what I've read about them I would predict that the M50s are more V-shaped - more bass, less mids, more treble.  I imagine the TAD500 would be a little smoother and more balanced sounding.

But that's just going off what I've read :\

Also the TAD500s are open and the M50s are closed, so I wouldn't be surprised if the TAD500's soundstage is a little more open.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back