Audio Technica ATH-SJ5 mod
Feb 14, 2010 at 2:08 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

ddashk

New Head-Fier
i have had a pair of these for about six months and real heard a difference when they burned in. however recently i have felt that they can be a bit muddy in the bass. also the high notes don't really sing freely. so i changed a few things and they really opened up. before anyone attempts these changes i should point out that i am no expert and that i can only say that i felt a big difference. however the mods are easily reversible.

i opened up the case by pulling of the padding and undoing the three screws underneath. there is a piece of foam inside the five holes near the top of the enclosure. i pulled tis out. the metal driver chassis has about 8 holes in the back. these have been covered with a fibrous coarse type of paper. it is really well stuck down so i cut out each hole with a scalpel taking care not to pierce the diaphram below.
at this point they sound so much better but are much more open backed and not really suitable for my long bus ride each day. i used some polymorph to make little plus for the five holes and now i can change between open and closed back 'phones in seconds. even when closed they sound better than stock because the the diaphram now moves in a space the size of the whole enclosure and not not just the size of the chassis

Feb 15, 2010 at 10:39 AM Post #2 of 2
We need some pics man!
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back