Audio-Technica ATH-SJ3 review
Feb 23, 2007 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

pennylam

New Head-Fier
orphsmile.gif
Recently, Audio-Technica launched two new DJ headphones ATH-SJ3 and ATH-SJ5. Seeing SJ3, I feel very cordial, there is a familiar feeling. It has black and white two, the overall framework for the use of engineering plastics materials. It is very light weight, only less than 150g, very easy to carry.
ATH-SJ3 is a foldable headphone. In addition, it can earmuff single ear of plus or minus 90 degrees overturned, DJ monaural facilitate wiretapping.
Although not feel the very strong bass sound. However, in the performance of the details is in place and treble seems very broad.

http://www.pcpop.com/doc/App/171549/000397167.html

Aug 17, 2007 at 3:20 PM Post #5 of 8
The SJ3 in Japan is probably below $20USD, so it's probably a budget priced sound.

Then again everyone raves about the SJ5 sound, the legendary K81 killers and they're only slightly above $20 in Japan - and personally I don't see anything that makes it comparable with a K81 with foam removal.

Aug 17, 2007 at 7:57 PM Post #7 of 8
Not with foam removal.

Out of the box, K81s have a huge bloated bass but tons of impact, a clean but weak treble and a plain average midrange. With foam removal, most if not all boom is gone, impact loss is minimal, treble gains a lot more clarity while remaining clean and not "bright" and midrange is bumped to above average.

The SJ5s I demoed had nowhere near as much bass impact, bass extension, but less boom than even foamless K81s, the midrange was the same-y stuff as the K81s (nothing hugely flawed, but nothing to write home about) and the treble I felt was too bright. Not ridiculously so, but still too bright. It might work better for rock but as a hard electronic guy I didn't feel for it.

That and any value for money in terms of SQ is negated by the fact that the K81s have much better build quality and polish. Which is why I chose the K81s over the SJ5s.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back