Audio-technica ATH-RE700 advice needed!
May 4, 2014 at 5:31 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

yavormoskov

100+ Head-Fier

These retro style portable headphones look fantastic and have detachable cable as well. But I never found any reviews. One headfier shared his opinion about them, but I would like to get some more if you listened to them or own them. Thank you.

Dec 23, 2014 at 12:13 PM Post #5 of 21
Found some japanese reviews on these. You can use google translate to kind of read them. Them seem like decent headphones, but as you'd expect, the sound quality is not studio quality (particularly the bass is muddled). But if you can get them on sale, might be worth trying out given the portability, cable swap, and audio control. 

http://review.kakaku.com/review/J0000010712/#tab

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&prev=search&sl=ja&u=http://chromosphere.jp/gadget/headphone/2014/08/ath-re700/&sandbox=0&usg=ALkJrhhBp5u0elYFYOE_-m8LdYTvnn6PYw

Apr 1, 2015 at 6:00 AM Post #6 of 21
I just got these. So far, I'm not impressed. I'll post more after I do some extended listening.

Initial build quality impressions are that it's a very plasticky, very finnicky headphone; only looks the part in photos, but is not a solidly-built product in person. For example, the ear-cup adjustment mechanism makes one cringe every time it is used; very loose and plastic.

The headphone generally seems to have been a mishmash of parts-quality due to cost-adjustment decisions in R&D; some parts are solid aluminum with nice pleather, like the headband, and then you have cheap plastic used on the earcups, which is outlined by another piece of aluminum. In general, this headphone in no way exudes "premium" in the manner that photos and promotional material suggests. It, in essence, feels like a cheap, pirated knock-off of another, actually premium product.

ATH M30x has astronomically better build quality and sound, but is not a "street," classy-portable-type of design. These can be had for the same price on Amazon USA. My recommendation is the ATH M30x, provided you can live with the long cable and the lack of iDevice controls; thou shalt be repaid tenfold, however, in sound and general satisfaction.

I hope this helps for now; I will post more impressions later.

Apr 1, 2015 at 8:50 PM Post #7 of 21
Here's my Amazon review from Dec, 2014. I definitely recommend them! I saw some were selling it new starting at $60. That is a STEAL at that price.

I was initially concerned about these due to lack of reviews and feedback about these on other sites given that they've been on the market for quite some time. But after trying them out, I think they are seriously worth considering as your 2nd or 3rd pair. Though I wouldn't pay full retail for these. As of now, I'd say ~$100 would be a decent deal. In comparison to the m40x (which I purchased together with these), the re700 are not as well balanced (weak bass, very strong highs) and are less comfortable (on ear design adds pressure and heat to the ears) but excel in non-bass heavy genres (e.g. classical, pop, news, speech, etc). The stylish looks, light weight, and built-in mic / audio controls make this an excellent choice for on the go listening (e.g. bus, subway, library, coffee shop, etc). But if I could only have one pair of headphones, I would pick the m40x over these just because the overall sound, comfort, and build quality is better.

1) Build quality is great, fairly premium feel. The leather is very soft on both the ear pads and head band. Real aluminum is used for the frame (as can be seen in the picture) as well as for the circular accent trim. The brown matte plastic housing the drivers wont attract finger prints but it is a weakness. My fingernails were able to scratch the dial accent groves and having the aluminum scratching against it while adjusting the headband size is a little concerning.

2) Sound quality is great. Fairly well balanced and extremely clear (high fidelity) as advertised. IMHO, these are much better than celebrity brands focusing entirely on bass while tending to muddle everything else. But this is expected from Audio Technica. The highs come out a bit strong and the bass a bit weak, however that is by design and in the item description. If you're looking for some head rattling bass, don't get these (try the m40x, m50x, or ws series). If you're looking for headphones that bring you to the front row or center stage of a concert - these do a good job in comparison, especially for non-bass heavy genres. Sound quality of the mic is also great when tested on skype.

3) Comfort level is good. The headband and ear pads are plush enough (though not as plush/soft as the m40x). And the headphones themselves are really light weight. However, because they are on ear headphones, they apply a bit of pressure and heat on the ears. Though that may be expected for headphones of this type. The amount of tilt/rotational freedom on these headphones are quite minimal (maybe a couple degrees in/out, 10-15 degrees up/down tilt). The headphones do slide up and down quite a bit on the aluminum frame to adjust for head size though.

4) Portability is good. They are pretty small and light weight (175g vs 240g for the m40x). However, they do not fold as the circular joint in the picture might suggest (that is just for decoration/attachment). Also a case/bag is not provided.

5) Sound insulation is great. When listening to music, noise from the outside environment is all but blocked out. Sound leakage is also very low. At at medium to medium high volume, people around you will barely hear any sound unless they put their ears right next to the headphones. I found both sound blockage and leakage performance is noticeably better than the m40x.

Notes: Standard audio cables will not fit in these headphones because ATH designed it to only accept jacks with super slim casings. I got my headphones through "amazon warehouse deals" (for about 1/3 retail) but they failed to mention that the cables were missing! Fortunately, I was able to shave off some of the casing on some extra audio cables I had lying around to test these. If you get these used, double check that they include the cables! I really wanted to test out the audio controls + microphone :frowning2:

=== Update 1/11/15 ===

The original review has been updated to included comparisons to the m40x.

I have to say Audio Technica is an amazing company. I emailed their parts department regarding the missing audio cables. All I had to do was forward them my amazon warehouse receipt and they mailed me both cables free of charge! They are excellent cables with a smooth satin feel and plenty of rubbery protection on the jacks. I really appreciate that both ends use standard 3.5 mm jacks. In contrast, the m40x jack that connects to the headphone is a proprietary thinner (2.5mm?) jack that locks in. As such, you cannot swap any audio cable you like in the m40x but at least you have a chance with these re700!

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:23 AM Post #8 of 21
Here's my Amazon review from Dec, 2014. I definitely recommend them! I saw some were selling it new starting at $60. That is a STEAL at that price.

I was initially concerned about these due to lack of reviews and feedback about these on other sites given that they've been on the market for quite some time. But after trying them out, I think they are seriously worth considering as your 2nd or 3rd pair. Though I wouldn't pay full retail for these. As of now, I'd say ~$100 would be a decent deal. In comparison to the m40x (which I purchased together with these), the re700 are not as well balanced (weak bass, very strong highs) and are less comfortable (on ear design adds pressure and heat to the ears) but excel in non-bass heavy genres (e.g. classical, pop, news, speech, etc). The stylish looks, light weight, and built-in mic / audio controls make this an excellent choice for on the go listening (e.g. bus, subway, library, coffee shop, etc). But if I could only have one pair of headphones, I would pick the m40x over these just because the overall sound, comfort, and build quality is better.

1) Build quality is great, fairly premium feel. The leather is very soft on both the ear pads and head band. Real aluminum is used for the frame (as can be seen in the picture) as well as for the circular accent trim. The brown matte plastic housing the drivers wont attract finger prints but it is a weakness. My fingernails were able to scratch the dial accent groves and having the aluminum scratching against it while adjusting the headband size is a little concerning.

2) Sound quality is great. Fairly well balanced and extremely clear (high fidelity) as advertised. IMHO, these are much better than celebrity brands focusing entirely on bass while tending to muddle everything else. But this is expected from Audio Technica. The highs come out a bit strong and the bass a bit weak, however that is by design and in the item description. If you're looking for some head rattling bass, don't get these (try the m40x, m50x, or ws series). If you're looking for headphones that bring you to the front row or center stage of a concert - these do a good job in comparison, especially for non-bass heavy genres. Sound quality of the mic is also great when tested on skype.

3) Comfort level is good. The headband and ear pads are plush enough (though not as plush/soft as the m40x). And the headphones themselves are really light weight. However, because they are on ear headphones, they apply a bit of pressure and heat on the ears. Though that may be expected for headphones of this type. The amount of tilt/rotational freedom on these headphones are quite minimal (maybe a couple degrees in/out, 10-15 degrees up/down tilt). The headphones do slide up and down quite a bit on the aluminum frame to adjust for head size though.

4) Portability is good. They are pretty small and light weight (175g vs 240g for the m40x). However, they do not fold as the circular joint in the picture might suggest (that is just for decoration/attachment). Also a case/bag is not provided.

5) Sound insulation is great. When listening to music, noise from the outside environment is all but blocked out. Sound leakage is also very low. At at medium to medium high volume, people around you will barely hear any sound unless they put their ears right next to the headphones. I found both sound blockage and leakage performance is noticeably better than the m40x.

Notes: Standard audio cables will not fit in these headphones because ATH designed it to only accept jacks with super slim casings. I got my headphones through "amazon warehouse deals" (for about 1/3 retail) but they failed to mention that the cables were missing! Fortunately, I was able to shave off some of the casing on some extra audio cables I had lying around to test these. If you get these used, double check that they include the cables! I really wanted to test out the audio controls + microphone :frowning2:

=== Update 1/11/15 ===

The original review has been updated to included comparisons to the m40x.

I have to say Audio Technica is an amazing company. I emailed their parts department regarding the missing audio cables. All I had to do was forward them my amazon warehouse receipt and they mailed me both cables free of charge! They are excellent cables with a smooth satin feel and plenty of rubbery protection on the jacks. I really appreciate that both ends use standard 3.5 mm jacks. In contrast, the m40x jack that connects to the headphone is a proprietary thinner (2.5mm?) jack that locks in. As such, you cannot swap any audio cable you like in the m40x but at least you have a chance with these re700!

Hey there! Your review contributed to my initial purchase decision.

Apr 2, 2015 at 11:36 AM Post #9 of 21

Hope it works out for you!

Personally, I find the re700 much more fun to travel with given their portability, style, and iDevice controls. Compared to my m40x, the leather and aluminum of the re700 do feel more premium to me but given how light it is, it may feel "cheap" compared to the m30x or m40x (even though the m x series also uses a lot more of the same plastic in black). To be honest, I had the same feeling about the iphone 5s (super light weight - cheap feel) vs iphone 5c (heavier - premium feel). But for home or studio use, definitely would choose a m30x or m40x over these given the longer cable and better bass response. 

Hope you'll post a review on Amazon too!

Apr 2, 2015 at 2:22 PM Post #10 of 21
Can't agree with you at all; this headphone is not solidly built - plasticky ear pads, inconsistent material quality, congested sound, uneven treble... (Still not done listening though).

It has nothing to do with weight, there's many light headphones of varying sizes and prices out there that are super-premium built - many of them Audio Technicas.

For the MSRP of the RE700 at circa 140 bucks, it's a total "lose" - e.g.: one can get an AKG K545 street-price for around that cash nowadays. This headphone isn't even a steal at the current blowout sale of 64 dollars, because of concurrent models on the market. The m30x/m40x, for one, is far sturdier in build, has no concern for pretention, and is just the minimum package required to deliver the dynamic ATH sound signature at the respective price-point.

For a "looker" street-style headphone for your average consumer, who doesn't really know the headphone market at large, and who falls in love with the specific package for the A-or-B reason, the RE700 might be good.

If one knows where to look, and one does her research, one can find superior products for even less than the RE700's "blowout" price.

Case-in-point - the UE 4000 for 43 dollars on Amazon. A detailed, balanced sounding warm on-ear "street" headphone with amazing build, solid quality and a couple of nice accessories to boot: 
http://www.amazon.com/Logitech-982-000072-4000-Headphones-Discontinued/dp/B0094S360U/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1427997902&sr=8-1&keywords=ue+4000 

If I am lucky, then over time the sound of the RE700's will hopefully grow on me. As it stands however, there are truly great headphones out there worthy of my recommendation and this one definitely (and sadly, as I am a big ATH fan, and was excited for this headphone) is not one of them.

Apr 2, 2015 at 3:31 PM Post #11 of 21
Hmmm, maybe you got a knock-off or defective one? Sometimes that happens - especially when they're "bargain" priced. I'm sure amazon or ath would send you a replacement free of charge so you can be sure. 

Apr 2, 2015 at 6:14 PM Post #12 of 21
  Hmmm, maybe you got a knock-off or defective one? Sometimes that happens - especially when they're "bargain" priced. I'm sure amazon or ath would send you a replacement free of charge so you can be sure. 

They're not fake, they just suck. That's what I've been trying to, and apparently not succeeding in, making clear through my previous comments. Just trying to let the average head-fier know what's up with these head-phones from an objective perspective; for when someone searches for these on head-fi, like I did. I'm not looking for post-purchase cognitive dissonance, like some people might.

Apr 2, 2015 at 6:30 PM Post #13 of 21
http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-715875-350p-Headphone-Black/dp/B00MRUQ1UO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428013612&sr=8-1&keywords=dtx+350+p

http://www.amazon.com/Beyerdynamic-DTX-501P-Lightweight-Black/dp/B0091TA5EW/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1428013612&sr=8-3&keywords=dtx+350+p

Two other super alternatives at this price.

http://www.amazon.com/Audio-Technica-AUD-ATHWS55BK-Headphones/dp/B005BHIZU4/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1428013811&sr=8-1&keywords=ws55

And one by ATH.

Apr 2, 2015 at 6:46 PM Post #14 of 21
I considered the ath ws55 but the non removable chord was a deal breaker and I wasn't looking for headphones that emphasized bass.

Aren't you curious why your experience with the re700 is so different from the other two Amazon reviews? I think it would be unfortunate if others missed out on trying these on the off chance that you got a defective one. If you are an ath fan like you say, I'm sure ath would appreciate the opportunity to make things right by you given your poor experience with the re700. Just send them an email or give them a call. They're very responsive.

Apr 2, 2015 at 7:01 PM Post #15 of 21
I considered the ath ws55 but the non removable chord was a deal breaker and I wasn't looking for headphones that emphasized bass.

Aren't you curious why your experience with the re700 is so different from the other two Amazon reviews? I think it would be unfortunate if others missed out on trying these on the off chance that you got a defective one. If you are an ath fan like you say, I'm sure ath would appreciate the opportunity to make things right by you given your poor experience with the re700. Just send them an email or give them a call. They're very responsive.

I'm starting to think that you work for Audio Technica.

If you take the time to look at my profile inventory, you will see that I have enough headphones in my possession to be able to differentiate between fake and real; not to mention my preceding comments, which are obviously objectively regarding a real headphone, not a fake one.

In addition, I did not buy these for a bargain price on Amazon; they were purchased from a reputable German retailer in Germany.

There are all of two reviews on Amazon USA, and none on Amazon Germany.

If you are not an Audio Technica employee, perhaps, like I said, you are simply not willing to accept the product you bought was not much of a hit, but rather a miss. It happens to the average consumer very often. Most reviews on Amazon are like this; it is called "post-purchase cognitive dissonance," like I said. It's the impulse to convince ourselves that that material possession we recently acquired was truly all we dreamt it up to be, and a great improvement to our lives, perhaps, in general. Quite similar to making an automobile purchase, and then we go read reviews on websites and then eventually give our own two cents in consumer reviews and comments, to give the car a good rep - because we own it, and we want to reinforce the idea that we made a good choice.

Unless, of course, you're an Audio Technica employee.

I am not trying to give a consumer review, but a head-fier objective first-impression, and a promise of a future two cents after extended experience with the product. Whomever stumbles upon this thread, by all means buy this headphone and make your own impressions and share them here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back