Audio-Technica ATH-RE3
Mar 8, 2009 at 5:01 PM Post #3 of 7
Sorry to bump, but if anyone's interested, I'll be buying these solely for the design on Tuesday. I haven't seen any reviews online about these cans other than that written in Japanese. I have the Portapros and SR-80s for comparison.

I'll be purchasing the black model for 29,000 KRW. (18.76 USD)

Mar 9, 2009 at 11:34 AM Post #4 of 7
I don't want to be one who's influencing your decision in headphones (although that is, I guess, the point of this board), but I just went to kakaku.com to read some quick reviews on these and....it doesn't look good. According to reviewers, there is nothing but highs - mids and lows are virtually non-existent - and they "sound like a $1 earphone."

That is, however, a good price (even for Japan), and if you have the cash to burn I would say go for it just so there's a review up on head-fi.

Mar 10, 2009 at 12:37 PM Post #5 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by avocado /img/forum/go_quote.gif
there is nothing but highs - mids and lows are virtually non-existent - and they "sound like a $1 earphone."

That review is very accurate. I just listened to them for an hour and I'm nothing but disappointed. They are smaller in hand than they looked on the internet, well.... at least smaller than what I expected. They sound like something you could win at a carnival (the cheep prize). The yellow/orange ear cushion is more orange in person as well.

Basically I spent my money on a set of small ear cushions that are a funky orange color.

The headphones themselves are best for decoration as they look cool and are not tight around your neck when not listening with them. Seriously, if you have them, you'll have them around your neck, not atop your head.

Again, the review you mentioned was very accurate, absolutely 0 lows, barely any mids and the highs just plum suck when all alone.

Mar 10, 2009 at 1:48 PM Post #6 of 7
If there's any chance for you to take them back I suggest you do it...

And I'm kind of surprised that they're that bad, considering that Audio Technica is a reputable brand.

Mar 10, 2009 at 6:40 PM Post #7 of 7
I too am surprised that such a product would hit the shelves, but I'm going to keep them around as reference. I'll let my friends listen to them, and then let them listen to my other nicer headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back