Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7BK, Philips X2/27 Fidelio, and Sony MDR1A for gaming and music
Feb 10, 2017 at 4:36 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

FailedToListen

New Head-Fier
I already have a couple of Sennheiser 598's. I don't really need anymore, so I'm assuming the new HD599's aren't a worthy upgrade for what I'm looking for.

I really don't want to spend more than $250, but the Sony's get great reviews all over the internet based on what I've seen.

I'm looking for comfort, better bass than my 598's, I will be coupling the headphones with a Sound Blaster Z(so we're clear, I already own the Sound Blaster Z, so it may be a bit pointless to recommend something else to pair with the headphones)for a lot of gaming and music, and just the feeling of "ok, this is definitely a step above my 598's"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Feb 10, 2017 at 6:08 PM Post #2 of 4
  I already have a couple of Sennheiser 598's. I don't really need anymore, so I'm assuming the new HD599's aren't a worthy upgrade for what I'm looking for.

I really don't want to spend more than $250, but the Sony's get great reviews all over the internet based on what I've seen.

I'm looking for comfort, better bass than my 598's, I will be coupling the headphones with a Sound Blaster Z(so we're clear, I already own the Sound Blaster Z, so it may be a bit pointless to recommend something else to pair with the headphones)for a lot of gaming and music, and just the feeling of "ok, this is definitely a step above my 598's"

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You might consider an HE400S. I use mine without them but some people add the Foucs A pads to augment bass response. My 400S has better bass than my 598 does. More articulate and detailed, by a lot. Fairly spacious soundstage, IMO, and very detailed. Nice headphone and supremely comfortable. FWIW. YMMV, of course.

Feb 11, 2017 at 6:13 PM Post #4 of 4
Can't really recommend the MDR1r for gaming. Nice closed portable headphone, with a bit more mid-bass punch than your HD598s. 400s is a good recommendation if you can get it for that price.

MSR7 I felt did not have enough bass. Nicely detailed though. Fidelio X1/X2 would have more bass than your 598, and it may just replace them overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back