Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Mar 23, 2022 at 11:36 AM Post #2,791 of 2,803
The tuning has changed. balance of mids and treble has shifted with acoustic changes and driver changes. 'Better' is subjective, on their thread there are owners who strongly preferred the original, YMMV
I do have the original ath-msr7. I was going off the specs but I agree now that you put it that way. Me saying “they’re better” was subjective. It’s boils down to personal preference. Maybe I should have bought a pair before posting. Thanks 🙏✌️

Jun 12, 2022 at 11:03 PM Post #2,792 of 2,803
Hi, I am looking for a slightly used or new Yaxi pads and headband cover for MSR7, if you want to sell them feel free to send me a pm! Thanks.

Last edited:
Nov 5, 2022 at 9:07 AM Post #2,793 of 2,803
What would be an open full size alternative to the MSR7 up to 1k?

Superprecise microdynamics and macrodynamics (=rocksolid timing, lively sound)???

Great for low volume listening?

Light weight?

Neutral to bright like Grado, B&O?

Matching dac/amp with great PRAT?

Nov 5, 2022 at 10:04 AM Post #2,794 of 2,803

Superprecise microdynamics and macrodynamics (=rocksolid timing, lively sound)???

Light weight?

I was ready to suggest the Audeze LCD-X, but you lost me at light weight.

One headphone with similar characteristics to the MSR7 but, honestly, better is the Beyerdynamic DT1990. It's an excellent headphone, but tends more to neutral sound rather than bright. Not terribly light though, but also not Audeze heavy. You might also want to look at Focal's lineup. It's been a while since I've listened to any of them, but they are excellent headphones. Need to choose the right one, though, as they tend to differ quite significantly in sound characteristics. If memory serves me well, the closest sound signature to the MSR7 is on the Elex, the Drop collab model.

As for DACs and amps, I'm not that well versed and, honestly, I'm the kind of guy that thinks DACs are there for features far more than sound quality, and that you shouldn't notice a good amp in your chain, unless it's not providing enough power. For my headphones I use a Topping D70s (which I find total overkill, but I wanted a balanced DAC with, like, all the inputs) and a Drop+THX AAA 789 and it's honestly been amazing, so I won't be upgrading that unless I have to for some reason.

Nov 15, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #2,795 of 2,803

Light weight?

I have the Grado SR325is which is also has an upper mid boost and sounds a bit more punchy than MSR7. These are very open sounding, image well and very lightweight so should also be an option though you might want to look at the RS2 or higher models. Focal is also great, the Clear MG is as lively sounding, but it has a more neutral and warm character. Both of these complement the MSR7, but they sound quite different, but share a lively sound signature.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #2,797 of 2,803
I've got the same issue. Flaking vinyl on the headband and both earcups, and also two bad cables. I have the ATH-MSR7/ ATH-MSR7 LTD. The problem with these headphones is they have a proprietary cable. If you plug in a cable from another headphone, with the same 3.5 mm jack, one channel will not work. They came out with a version B that will accept any cable with 3.5 mm jacks.

So, on eBay and also Amazon there are ads for replacement cables, ear cups, and headbands but I have not taken the risk to order any of these items. As far as the new ear cups and headband, I do not know how well they will fit or what is entailed in stripping off the old to put on the new. I'm afraid of ordering cables that don't work and having the hassle of returning them.

If you order a new headband and/or earcups please let us know how it worked out.

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 10:57 AM Post #2,798 of 2,803
My MSR7’s with the SE cable takes my other generic cables. My Oppo cable works in it too.

Apr 11, 2023 at 10:58 AM Post #2,799 of 2,803
Anyone know if msr7 headband is replaceable ? Is it easy ? Mine start to crumbling real bad.
And where to buy it in Europe ?
Same for the ear pads.
I was thinking of trying this. Just not sure if it would fit. Looks like it would.

Dekoni Audio Headband Replacement for Beyerdynamic DT Series Headphones (Choice Leather) https://a.co/d/5vPyJNk

Also, I did try this one and it works, but it was a tight fit.

Geekria Protein Leather Headband Pad Compatible with Beyerdynamic DT990PRO, DT990, DT880, DT860 Headphone Replacement Headband/Headband Cushion/Replacement Pad Repair Parts (Black) https://a.co/d/3vZX8hE

Last edited:
Apr 11, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #2,800 of 2,803
My MSR7’s with the SE cable takes my other generic cables. My Oppo cable works in it too.
I had a pair of ThinkSound cans, and the cable from these doesn't work and the AT's. Too bad, they are nice cables and much better made than the Audio Technica cables. Customer Support for Audio Technica said, regarding the proprietary cables:
"We did take on this user feedback after the release of these headphones, however, and understood that customers were wishing to upgrade the cables further and this would be beneficial for the headphones, rather than detrimental, so last year we re-released the headphones as the ATH-MSR7b which now features A2DC connectors to enable our customers to change the cables at will, to ones that suit the quality of the headphones and the requirements of the user.

At this time, I cannot guarantee whether there are any headphone cables that will fit the ATH-MSR7 headphones other than those provided - some high quality manufacturers may be willing to provide a connector to their headphones that would be suitable for fitting into the headphones, but at this time I'm unaware of any alternative cables that are directly compatible with the headphones."

Apr 11, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #2,801 of 2,803
Anyone know if msr7 headband is replaceable ? Is it easy ? Mine start to crumbling real bad.
And where to buy it in Europe ?
Same for the ear pads.
I'm in the US, but maybe this info is helpful to you.

I asked AT about this and the cost was very high, around $200 IIRC. I bought one of the Geekria headband covers on Amazon and have been happy with it. https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07GDQ9QVZ

You can still buy pads directly from AT for a reasonable cost.

Last edited:
Aug 4, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #2,803 of 2,803
I had a pair of ThinkSound cans, and the cable from these doesn't work and the AT's. Too bad, they are nice cables and much better made than the Audio Technica cables. Customer Support for Audio Technica said, regarding the proprietary cables:
"We did take on this user feedback after the release of these headphones, however, and understood that customers were wishing to upgrade the cables further and this would be beneficial for the headphones, rather than detrimental, so last year we re-released the headphones as the ATH-MSR7b which now features A2DC connectors to enable our customers to change the cables at will, to ones that suit the quality of the headphones and the requirements of the user.

At this time, I cannot guarantee whether there are any headphone cables that will fit the ATH-MSR7 headphones other than those provided - some high quality manufacturers may be willing to provide a connector to their headphones that would be suitable for fitting into the headphones, but at this time I'm unaware of any alternative cables that are directly compatible with the headphones."
any cable that has thin enough plastic part below the TRS pin will fit, i am using some random cable that a friend gave me and came from some Marley headphones.
i also have another basic black cable which i shaved a mm or two of the black plastic with a knife, and it fits perfectly.

fot the headband just patienly peel all the fragmented pieces of fake leather, and youll be left with a smooth plush fabric, good enough for me :)

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back