Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Sep 20, 2021 at 2:45 PM Post #2,777 of 2,803
I have just bought a used pair of these, with aftermarket generic earpads which are a bit deeper than the stock ones.
Had to add 14db of low shelf boost for these not to sound like a small radio. Removing the felt from the driver's back didn't help much.
Besides EQing, are there any tips for these to sound more balanced? I'm no basshead, by the way.

Sep 20, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #2,778 of 2,803
I have just bought a used pair of these, with aftermarket generic earpads which are a bit deeper than the stock ones.
Had to add 14db of low shelf boost for these not to sound like a small radio. Removing the felt from the driver's back didn't help much.
Besides EQing, are there any tips for these to sound more balanced? I'm no basshead, by the way.

The thing about the MSR7, is that it was carefully tuned, for use with the stock pads. Many people have tried different pads, (such as HM5), yet they sounded bad. I have not tried anything different than stock. You should try to find an oem replacement, or something as close to it as possible, imho.

I've heard that the Yaxi microfiber StPad, sounds pretty good, (although that is only hearsay from my point of view).

Sep 20, 2021 at 6:21 PM Post #2,779 of 2,803
The thing about the MSR7, is that it was carefully tuned, for use with the stock pads. Many people have tried different pads, (such as HM5), yet they sounded bad. I have not tried anything different than stock. You should try to find an oem replacement, or something as close to it as possible, imho.

I've heard that the Yaxi microfiber StPad, sounds pretty good, (although that is only hearsay from my point of view).
That's very unfortunate, since I can't buy the originals anywhere. They are out of stock from ATH's website. In fact, any headphones that dont have original earpads ready for sale are essentialy disposable, unless people like to mess up with the projected sound profile.
Thank you for the tip on the Yaxi pad!

Sep 20, 2021 at 6:30 PM Post #2,780 of 2,803
That's very unfortunate, since I can't buy the originals anywhere. They are out of stock from ATH's website. In fact, any headphones that dont have original earpads ready for sale are essentialy disposable, unless people like to mess up with the projected sound profile.
Thank you for the tip on the Yaxi pad!

Oh man, that is good to know. My stock pads still have life left in them. (Have to be more careful with them, knowing that). But when they die, it seems like it is going to be a big pain.

Hopefully there are some good aftermarket options, (I will have to read this thread more, google online, etc). Basically, "do the research!" Lol.

Last edited:
Sep 21, 2021 at 11:15 AM Post #2,781 of 2,803
Lol, I just discovered that the previous owner removed the felt/paper that covered the holes around the driver, right underneath the pad.

I'm talking about the white part in the pic below:
Captura de tela 2021-09-21 121225.png

So I covered it back up with some tape, and oh boy, everything is way more balanced now. I believe I got like +12db bass by doing this. The phone actually sounds great now, really enjoying it! I even put back the felt disc behind the driver. There is already plenty of great bass (even a tad too much upper bass).

I'm so relieved.

Last edited:
Sep 23, 2021 at 10:40 AM Post #2,782 of 2,803

I am pretty sure I replaced my worn ones with these. https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-...1&keywords=msr7+earpads&qid=1632407907&sr=8-4

I can check when I get home. They look just like the originals and didn't change the sound at all.

Sep 29, 2021 at 10:47 PM Post #2,784 of 2,803
I am pretty sure I replaced my worn ones with these. https://www.amazon.com/Replacement-...1&keywords=msr7+earpads&qid=1632407907&sr=8-4

I can check when I get home. They look just like the originals and didn't change the sound at all.

I got the Yaxi MSR7 Comfort pads, and they are indeed very comfortable and sound good. I'm just not 100% satisfied with the upper bass of this headphones. They sound kind of "cuppy". But I'm not afraid of a little EQ, so everything is good

Thanks for the recommendations, definitely going to keep these two pads in mind, for the future.

I really like my MSR7, even got a wool cover for the headband, that gives a little extra cushhhh, for that infamous hotspot. (After bending the headband similar to the way Tyll did, in the InnerFidelity review). It's more comfortable now, lovin' it.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/262897394807?var=561896467420

Last edited:
Oct 2, 2021 at 1:59 PM Post #2,785 of 2,803
My MSR7 had the brown band and headband. But the headband cover wore and got this one. Now it all black.

Attachments

• B993CF4A-89A1-4EEE-827D-9848C64D5AFE.jpeg
    B993CF4A-89A1-4EEE-827D-9848C64D5AFE.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • 0EF9631C-452B-408A-90F2-42F508B1DE8F.jpeg
    0EF9631C-452B-408A-90F2-42F508B1DE8F.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Oct 4, 2021 at 9:01 AM Post #2,787 of 2,803
Sweet, I have seen that cover before. Couldn't find it at the time. What is the brand and model info? Your looks thicker, with more padding than mine, kinda jealouzzz.

It was this one. https://www.amazon.com/Geekria-Head...00OVWQIT0/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

It is very hard to find a decent headband replacement, I tried the geekria cloth one, terrible! Then someone said on amazon it fit their MSR7's. Although it does, its very tight and I had to tear off the rest of the deteriorated headband coved to get it on.

Oct 4, 2021 at 2:03 PM Post #2,788 of 2,803
It was this one. https://www.amazon.com/Geekria-Head...00OVWQIT0/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_product_top?ie=UTF8

It is very hard to find a decent headband replacement, I tried the geekria cloth one, terrible! Then someone said on amazon it fit their MSR7's. Although it does, its very tight and I had to tear off the rest of the deteriorated headband coved to get it on.

Good stuff, I will keep that product in mind. Although it sounds like it was a wrestling match, lol! If the original headband padding was peeling off though, yeah just peel it all off!! The headband replacement, looks quite comfortable, good amount of padding to it.

The wool one that I got, gives better cushion, but I would prefer more. Oh well, the headphones don't give me headaches or anything. Much better than before. Nevertheless, comfort could be better. Imho, that is my only grumble with these headphones. The comfort, especially out of the box, is not even average. I tried the Sony MDR-1AM2, and the Bose QuietComfort 35, and they were both more comfortable, no hotspots. However, they don't have the great sound, of the MSR7. Well, with a little bending, like Tyll's review, and a decent headband pad, the MSR7 can have at least average comfort.

Last edited:
Mar 23, 2022 at 10:53 AM Post #2,789 of 2,803
Hi everyone!
I've tried to find an answer by searching this thread and failed. So, i'm going to ask and hope somebody here has the info i need:)
So. the question is: can MSR7 be used with the balanced cable? You know, the one with a 2.5mm jack. I' m quiet pleased with this phones but that balance out on my Cain N5 just keeps taunting me and my curiosity. So, is there a chance i could finally test it without buying some new pair of phones?
Thanks.
No but Audio Technica did bring them back improved with balanced cables and even better specs
https://www.audio-technica.com/en-us/ath-msr7b

Mar 23, 2022 at 11:11 AM Post #2,790 of 2,803

Users who are viewing this thread

Back