Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Apr 8, 2019 at 8:27 AM Post #2,626 of 2,803
Someone had also the Sennheiser HD598/599 together this ?
Can you tell me the difference as sound signature and sound quality between these two kind of products ?

Im actually undecided between Sennheiser HD579 and this MSR7.

Apr 9, 2019 at 4:59 PM Post #2,627 of 2,803
I had the same experience about a year ago when my NAD D3020 arrived. I wanted to simplify my desktop rig so sold almost everything including desktop amp, DAC, cables etc. I even sold my speakers and bought more efficient Monitor Audios, I kept my MSR7 and NAD HP50 only. The idea was that the NAD will be good enough for my basic listening needs but I wasn't prepared for what it did with the MSR7. I've always loved this headphone, but it's true that it can be a bit edgy sometimtes and bass is a bit shy here and there. That was all gone with the NAD, like it was built for the MSR7. It never sounded better, bass became stronger and even more agile than before, soundstage became larger and that upper midrange edge just disappeared. It's warmer, more balanced and overall a lot better than ever before. Looks like it's a match!

Ps: It's funny that more than 30 years have passed, NAD has moved to "hybrid digital" from analogue and yet we had very similar results :)
The D3020 is the newer, black, vertical standing amp, right? If so, great to hear you had similar results. I might look into it if I want a cheap-ish speaker/headphone amp. Looks like a solid unit!

Now, assuming we heard the same things, isn't it awesome how well the MSR7 scales with power? At first I supposed that a headphone that's so efficient wouldn't really care about power, but apparently it does care a lot. These things just keep on giving...

With that said, I have observed that after modding them, they care about power even more. It probably has to do with the fact that the driver has more air accessible to move. Adding power almost always leads to stronger bass. Not more usually, just better. The already excellent and fast bass of the MSR7 go one step further and hits with more authority, kicks sound heavier. I thought I'd want a beefier amp just for my 58x, but it turns out that the MSR7 may benefit more from one.
Just bought a Pioneer HDJ X10 Today (350$), HDJ X10 is much better than MSR7, HDJ X10 Have much more detail than Msr7, HDJ X10 have rich strong Sub Bass and bass.
And HDJ X10 is atleast 10X more Comfort than msr7. Im not gonna buy any headphone from audio technica again.

Good for you buddy, good for you.

On another note, a friend of mine had these (He is a DJ) and I don't really like them. They seem to try too hard to do bass. Everything else was MIA. Low end detail was good, but that was about it, anything other than electronic music didn't sound good on them. The MSR7 are a far superior all around headphone IMO.

@ModiHiFi

So, I tried your stuff. First off, let's get the medical tape out of the way. I can't really hear a difference. Nothing that I can be sure of, anyway. I will keep it on, however, just to prevent hair and dust from getting in the driver housing. So it's a good change, even if it's only for that.

Felts! I couldn't find the Vlieseline stuff anywhere here, but I did find a store that carries sewing supplies and I asked the people there. They gave me a piece of felt that is, according to them, similar to Vlieseline's stuff. It's compressed cotton too, so I suppose it's at least similar. I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, it completely tames the treble. There's no more peaks to speak of. But what it also does is make the headphones sound a little bit muffled, like they took a bit too much away. They also killed a lot of detail, sadly. But I think the stuff they gave me is probably too thick. It's a good mm thick actually. I will try to find something half as thick or thereabouts, preferrably like the thin felt AT uses internally. I will also try different placements to see how it changes. Like, the headphones sound a bit livelier if, instead of using a big piece of felt under the pad, I stick a small disk of it on top of the driver, like the pad cloth I did previously. I will also try getting a big piece under the bad, but with a disk cut out of it so that it doesn't directly cover the driver, then I will put the other cloth back on. The possibilities are almost endless at this point.

Everything sounds good, don't get me wrong, we're at the point of fine tuning these things. I'm just after that last 5%...

PS : With the felt on the efficiency went down. Now I need to push my Q1 almost as hard as I do with my 58x. Oh well.

Apr 10, 2019 at 1:48 AM Post #2,629 of 2,803
The D3020 is the newer, black, vertical standing amp, right? If so, great to hear you had similar results. I might look into it if I want a cheap-ish speaker/headphone amp. Looks like a solid unit!

Now, assuming we heard the same things, isn't it awesome how well the MSR7 scales with power? At first I supposed that a headphone that's so efficient wouldn't really care about power, but apparently it does care a lot. These things just keep on giving...

With that said, I have observed that after modding them, they care about power even more. It probably has to do with the fact that the driver has more air accessible to move. Adding power almost always leads to stronger bass. Not more usually, just better. The already excellent and fast bass of the MSR7 go one step further and hits with more authority, kicks sound heavier. I thought I'd want a beefier amp just for my 58x, but it turns out that the MSR7 may benefit more from one.

Good for you buddy, good for you.

On another note, a friend of mine had these (He is a DJ) and I don't really like them. They seem to try too hard to do bass. Everything else was MIA. Low end detail was good, but that was about it, anything other than electronic music didn't sound good on them. The MSR7 are a far superior all around headphone IMO.

@ModiHiFi

So, I tried your stuff. First off, let's get the medical tape out of the way. I can't really hear a difference. Nothing that I can be sure of, anyway. I will keep it on, however, just to prevent hair and dust from getting in the driver housing. So it's a good change, even if it's only for that.

Felts! I couldn't find the Vlieseline stuff anywhere here, but I did find a store that carries sewing supplies and I asked the people there. They gave me a piece of felt that is, according to them, similar to Vlieseline's stuff. It's compressed cotton too, so I suppose it's at least similar. I have mixed feelings about it. On one hand, it completely tames the treble. There's no more peaks to speak of. But what it also does is make the headphones sound a little bit muffled, like they took a bit too much away. They also killed a lot of detail, sadly. But I think the stuff they gave me is probably too thick. It's a good mm thick actually. I will try to find something half as thick or thereabouts, preferrably like the thin felt AT uses internally. I will also try different placements to see how it changes. Like, the headphones sound a bit livelier if, instead of using a big piece of felt under the pad, I stick a small disk of it on top of the driver, like the pad cloth I did previously. I will also try getting a big piece under the bad, but with a disk cut out of it so that it doesn't directly cover the driver, then I will put the other cloth back on. The possibilities are almost endless at this point.

Everything sounds good, don't get me wrong, we're at the point of fine tuning these things. I'm just after that last 5%...

PS : With the felt on the efficiency went down. Now I need to push my Q1 almost as hard as I do with my 58x. Oh well.

Yes, that's it. It can drive my Monitor Audio RX6 floorstanders easily along with my headphones. Yesterday I got my ATH-R70x back and they also sound great with the NAD. The DAC may be the weakest part of it but the overall sound is very pleasant and what I learnt from all my experiences is that this is what really matters.

paulguru: Sennheisers are usually very different from ATs, I had an HD580 2 times but sold them because I found them uninvolving and boring. MSR7 (and ATs in general) are very lively, colored headphones, and MSR7 is one of the best offering from AT in my opinion - regardless of price. I've had W1000X, A1000Z, AD2000 too, and although they excel in some or even many areas, the also have some serious flaws as well. The most musical, linear and pleasant experience was the MSR7 for me, but it requires a good matching amp (it has to be on the warmer side).

Apr 27, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #2,630 of 2,803

Tolis.

Apologies for not replying sooner. I'm so glad you tried a few things out - even if they didn't go to plan, I'm still glad you gave them a try. If you ever want anything that you can't get a hold of be sure to let me know and I'm more than happy to send them your way.

All the best trying new things (I should get back into modding different things myself). Perhaps try the new MSR7B headphones?

May 2, 2019 at 10:55 AM Post #2,631 of 2,803
Quote:

I totally agree. That's why I keep my MSR7, even though its forward, aggressive presentation is not really my cup of tea.
smily_headphones1.gif
I should also add that I think the bass on MSR7 is also tighter than on any closed back and almost any other headphone I've heard, although the bass resolution is not quite as good as on HD800 or planars.

BTW, I find MSR7 very much an Etymotic ER4 of closed back full sized headphones. I think it's quite similar to the ER4 (more like an ER4P in the bass and mids and ER4S in the treble) in character and technicalities, but with more bass weight, which a great thing, as the Etys are really lacking in that regard. MSR7 is perhaps a bit more aggressive sounding than the Etys in the upper mids and highs, but that makes the MSR7 more exciting to listen to.

Can only echo these statements. These things are friggin unreal for detail, especially at the price. Im having a bit of a love/hate relationship with them at the moment whilst being totally smitten at the same time.

The forward, aggressive thing is certainly a factor though, they are certainly no MDR1A warm bath. Even my M40X IMO has a far better tonally accuracy than the MSR7 I believe. But there's something going on with the detail of the MSR7 its next level stuff. Another that can dig really hard in the detail on the budget spectrum I've found is perhaps a Sony MDR7506, but its a bit raw, really good for listening in but absolutely horrible for general music listening to I feel, although some like them for that. Not quite the MSR7 level but I love them for what they do, and how cheap those are. The MSR7 is a special headphone though and it can do music better. I'm going to have to eq this one though as much as I love easy just plug, play and forget pairs.

May 8, 2019 at 6:04 PM Post #2,632 of 2,803
Yes, that's it. It can drive my Monitor Audio RX6 floorstanders easily along with my headphones. Yesterday I got my ATH-R70x back and they also sound great with the NAD. The DAC may be the weakest part of it but the overall sound is very pleasant and what I learnt from all my experiences is that this is what really matters.
Yeah, NAD does make some incredible stuff. I have no opinion on the D3020 (although I do love the form factor and the modernized design), but if it sounds anything like the old 3020 amps it should be glorious. Not the most accurate or clean amps, but they do something really right. The sound is more... Musical, more punchy, I can't really put my finger on it. And considering that the only thing I had as a source with me was my phone, it's not like I've fully taken advantage of the amp. I visited my uncle that has the 3020e again last week and this time I brought my 58x with me. Again, similar experience as with the MSR7. Soundstage got wider, sound got punchier, bass more impactful and mids warmer. The difference was more pronounced on the MSR7 (these things, although stupidly efficient, really do love power I'm telling you), but I really enjoyed my time with the combo. The sound I get on my Q1 doesn't even get close, and I bet the differentiating factor is power, because cleanliness was only marginally improved, although noticeably so. Amazing for an amp that was designed in the '70s. My only problem is that I probably won't be able to build a proper desk setup in the near future because I'm gonna be moving around a lot. So I'm looking at the new Fiio Q5s. Fully balanced, bluetooth, enough power for 99% of headphones... I think I'll be ok.
Tolis.

Apologies for not replying sooner. I'm so glad you tried a few things out - even if they didn't go to plan, I'm still glad you gave them a try. If you ever want anything that you can't get a hold of be sure to let me know and I'm more than happy to send them your way.

All the best trying new things (I should get back into modding different things myself). Perhaps try the new MSR7B headphones?
No worries mate, we've talked about that before. Family and real life come first! :)

You're the man. I have found a few places I can look at to source materials, so I think I'll be fine, but honestly, thank you so much for even offering that kind of help!

I'm looking at the MSR7b too. It's probably gonna be my next headphone purchase. I don't wanna get them before I upgrade my Fiio Q1 to something (hopefully much) better. As I said above, that's probably gonna be the Fiio Q5s, which should be ample for the MSR7b, especially considering it also has a 4.4mm balanced out. My biggest hope is that they are as moddable as the original MSR7. If I can do similar things to the b version, I'm gonna be thrilled. I hope that the stiffer/lighter diaphragm will react better to the increased air volume after modding. Time will tell, but you'll be the first to know if I get them and mess with them!

Cheers! :beerchug:
Can only echo these statements. These things are friggin unreal for detail, especially at the price. Im having a bit of a love/hate relationship with them at the moment whilst being totally smitten at the same time.

The forward, aggressive thing is certainly a factor though, they are certainly no MDR1A warm bath. Even my M40X IMO has a far better tonally accuracy than the MSR7 I believe. But there's something going on with the detail of the MSR7 its next level stuff. Another that can dig really hard in the detail on the budget spectrum I've found is perhaps a Sony MDR7506, but its a bit raw, really good for listening in but absolutely horrible for general music listening to I feel, although some like them for that. Not quite the MSR7 level but I love them for what they do, and how cheap those are. The MSR7 is a special headphone though and it can do music better. I'm going to have to eq this one though as much as I love easy just plug, play and forget pairs.

Ok, first off, the MSR7 provide better detail retrieval than many headphones that cost many times their price. In November I heard Focal's Clear, Elear and Elegia, along with another listen of Audeze's LCD-2C and LCD-X at an audio show. I also was carrying my MSR7 with me for comparisons. I'm telling you, the only headphone of the bunch that was noticeably more detailed than the MSR7 was the LCD-X, but that thing is downright insane and probably my favorite sounding headphone so far. Otherwise, the MSR7 traded blows with the Elegia and Clear, and downright shamed the Elear. Couldn't clearly compare with the LCD-2C, because someone put some speakers on and I couldn't hear properly, but I think the MSR7's detail retrieval is more effortless, the LCD-2C was too dark for details to pop (I did like them a lot though, they were warm and wide and bassy and smooth and FFFFFFFFFFFF). I also had a chance to listen to Hifiman's Sundara and Ananda, as well as a pair of Stax SR-009. I'm not gonna talk about the Stax 'cause they sounded like God was whispering in my ear (to the point I almost believed in God), but the Sundara weren't much better at detail retrieval and the Ananda were IMO great, but sounded weird, more like trying to pick out details from speakers rather than headphones.

As for "fixing" the MSR7, if you're willing to get your hands a bit dirty, so to speak, they can easily be tinkered with. At stock form, some things can't really be EQ'ed out, like the 10k peak, but mod them a bit and all the problems I had with them quickly went away.

May 9, 2019 at 4:13 AM Post #2,633 of 2,803
The most musical, linear and pleasant experience was the MSR7 for me, but it requires a good matching amp (it has to be on the warmer side).

Would you mind sharing what amps you used on the warmer side which suited these headphones better?

Ok, first off, the MSR7 provide better detail retrieval than many headphones that cost many times their price. In November I heard Focal's Clear, Elear and Elegia, along with another listen of Audeze's LCD-2C and LCD-X at an audio show. I also was carrying my MSR7 with me for comparisons. I'm telling you, the only headphone of the bunch that was noticeably more detailed than the MSR7 was the LCD-X, but that thing is downright insane and probably my favorite sounding headphone so far. Otherwise, the MSR7 traded blows with the Elegia and Clear, and downright shamed the Elear. Couldn't clearly compare with the LCD-2C, because someone put some speakers on and I couldn't hear properly, but I think the MSR7's detail retrieval is more effortless, the LCD-2C was too dark for details to pop (I did like them a lot though, they were warm and wide and bassy and smooth and FFFFFFFFFFFF). I also had a chance to listen to Hifiman's Sundara and Ananda, as well as a pair of Stax SR-009. I'm not gonna talk about the Stax 'cause they sounded like God was whispering in my ear (to the point I almost believed in God), but the Sundara weren't much better at detail retrieval and the Ananda were IMO great, but sounded weird, more like trying to pick out details from speakers rather than headphones.

As for "fixing" the MSR7, if you're willing to get your hands a bit dirty, so to speak, they can easily be tinkered with. At stock form, some things can't really be EQ'ed out, like the 10k peak, but mod them a bit and all the problems I had with them quickly went away.

Im not new to hi-fi or even headphones really, had tons of it over the years, been to shows heard the so called 'hi-end' stuff even to the point I thought Id owned or heard it all actually. But buying these 'relatively' cheap headphones has opened my eyes to what hi-fi can achieve and even as I said at a relatively low cost as well. The detail they produce is nothing short of spectacular and what they cost is a bonus.

Im actually even over their not so perfect presentation now as well as Im just so enthralled by what it does well. It might be a case of their burning in a bit better even or just my ears are adjusting to their sound, or possibly some of both, but I do occasional think still that they sound a bit edgey but still I cant stop listening. I wouldn't mind perhaps trying some of these warmer amps with it to see how that turns out but even just plugging them into my phone or pc I cant get enough of what they do well.

As much as I am a hifi/speaker man at heart these things are making me revaluate my listening methods. Some music I have been very familiar with over the years is honestly like listening to it for the first time with the MSR7s Im blown away by their ability. The private listening sealed back experience isnt always a bad thing here with a family either even though the pads can get a little warm after a while, even thought about a velour/leather hybrid pad but I now its going to throw their sound again, whether it would be in the right way is another thing.

Im hoping to get to the Can Jam this year so I will look out for the LCD-X, although I cant see how they can get anymore detailed than the MSR7s it feels like no stone has been left unturned. The Stax SR-009 is something Im yet to experience but everyone who seems to come in contact with those seems to be a changed person. Im sure Id love them also but whether Im ready to go full Stax is another thing.

I see MrSpeakers are doing a mass drop edition of the ether flow C now as well. Would love to try it, but £700+ would be a bit of a gamble for something Ive never heard, but apparently they are very good. Hopefully another one to try in the Can Jam.

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 12:05 PM Post #2,634 of 2,803
Thanks @tolis626 Yes you are right, I did link a 3 pole socket, obviously my hearing deficiency affected my thinking ability too :) . The socket I got was from China via Amazon. I didn't provide a link to the one I used because it isn't gold plated, I don't think the lack of gold plating makes a lot of difference, but I do think some may prefer gold plated.

I'm quite amazed at the sound the MSR7 can produce they are great value to be honest. If I just had one headphone I would be happy if it were the MSR7. The only issue most, if not all people have with them, is top of the head comfort over long listening sessions, which as we all know can be "improved" a bit with some headband tweeking.

I also didn't realise until I took the ear pad off to do this modification that the driver is of the angled variety, something that I do believe improves sound-stage.
Hey man

I remembered that someone here had done a balanced conversion to the MSR7 and I searched for your posts. IIRC, you never posted your thoughs on how the MSR7 sound balanced, if it's worth it etc.

I'm searching about this topic because I want to make mine balanced too in the rather near future, and I would appreciate your insight, as I'm still very much a noob when it comes to messing with the electronics inside headphones.

PS : Do you think something like this would work?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352639102887?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&fromMakeTrack=true
Or this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10Pcs-PC...m=292191703642&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851
Im not new to hi-fi or even headphones really, had tons of it over the years, been to shows heard the so called 'hi-end' stuff even to the point I thought Id owned or heard it all actually. But buying these 'relatively' cheap headphones has opened my eyes to what hi-fi can achieve and even as I said at a relatively low cost as well. The detail they produce is nothing short of spectacular and what they cost is a bonus.

Im actually even over their not so perfect presentation now as well as Im just so enthralled by what it does well. It might be a case of their burning in a bit better even or just my ears are adjusting to their sound, or possibly some of both, but I do occasional think still that they sound a bit edgey but still I cant stop listening. I wouldn't mind perhaps trying some of these warmer amps with it to see how that turns out but even just plugging them into my phone or pc I cant get enough of what they do well.

As much as I am a hifi/speaker man at heart these things are making me revaluate my listening methods. Some music I have been very familiar with over the years is honestly like listening to it for the first time with the MSR7s Im blown away by their ability. The private listening sealed back experience isnt always a bad thing here with a family either even though the pads can get a little warm after a while, even thought about a velour/leather hybrid pad but I now its going to throw their sound again, whether it would be in the right way is another thing.

Im hoping to get to the Can Jam this year so I will look out for the LCD-X, although I cant see how they can get anymore detailed than the MSR7s it feels like no stone has been left unturned. The Stax SR-009 is something Im yet to experience but everyone who seems to come in contact with those seems to be a changed person. Im sure Id love them also but whether Im ready to go full Stax is another thing.

I see MrSpeakers are doing a mass drop edition of the ether flow C now as well. Would love to try it, but £700+ would be a bit of a gamble for something Ive never heard, but apparently they are very good. Hopefully another one to try in the Can Jam.

Yeah, the MSR7 do some things amazingly, even at stock form, which limits their potential quite a bit IMO. But just don't use velour pads on these. Just don't. You'll hate them, trust me. Very few pads work on the MSR7 without modding. If you're not willing to mess with them, stick with the stock pads or maybe the Dekoni pads for the M50x. And that's a big MAYBE.

I'm telling you man, the LCD-X are an experience. I don't think I'll ever buy a pair, but damn they are close to what I would consider a perfect sounding headphone.

Also, MrSpeakers headphones are a no show in Europe, which is quite sad. I really would love to listen to the Ether line.

Last edited:
May 10, 2019 at 1:49 PM Post #2,635 of 2,803
remembered that someone here had done a balanced conversion to the MSR7 and I searched for your posts. IIRC, you never posted your thoughs on how the MSR7 sound balanced, if it's worth it etc.

I'm searching about this topic because I want to make mine balanced too in the rather near future, and I would appreciate your insight, as I'm still very much a noob when it comes to messing with the electronics inside headphones.

PS : Do you think something like this would work?
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/352639102887?ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&fromMakeTrack=true
Or this
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10Pcs-PC...m=292191703642&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I did the balanced mod mainly so I could use the msr7 with my Sony NW-ZX300. The ZX300 does sound a lot better to quite a few owners including me. If you have a source that sounds better from its balanced output then I would say go for it and do the balanced mod.

The second ebay option will work fine. There aren't that many options for a socket to be honest and couldn't find an easily to source gold plated chassis socket. Good luck if you decide to do it. :)

May 10, 2019 at 2:00 PM Post #2,636 of 2,803
But just don't use velour pads on these. Just don't. You'll hate them, trust me. Very few pads work on the MSR7 without modding. If you're not willing to mess with them, stick with the stock pads or maybe the Dekoni pads for the M50x. And that's a big MAYBE.

Thats what I thought actually. I just think I'll have to suffer the leather for the sound and isolation. I have tried velour pads on some closed models before and even though the comfort increased amazingly the sound severely suffered.

Im would like a decent open set of cans as well, but the sound Im getting from the MSR7s at the moment I am amazed with and Im really not sure what would match up with them in an open can. And Ive tried Senns HD600, 650 and even 660s. Of those 3 I would say the 660s was the best, but I didnt love them personaly .

May 10, 2019 at 4:14 PM Post #2,637 of 2,803
I did the balanced mod mainly so I could use the msr7 with my Sony NW-ZX300. The ZX300 does sound a lot better to quite a few owners including me. If you have a source that sounds better from its balanced output then I would say go for it and do the balanced mod.

The second ebay option will work fine. There aren't that many options for a socket to be honest and couldn't find an easily to source gold plated chassis socket. Good luck if you decide to do it. :)
Thanks for the info!

Well, as I said, I will probably get a Q5s soon and that's balanced. I don't know if there's other differences between balanced and single ended on the Q5s, but out of the balanced out it outputs over double the power, and the MSR7 do like power (even though they're efficient af). I will probably wait to get the amp first and see how they far single ended, then decide.
Thats what I thought actually. I just think I'll have to suffer the leather for the sound and isolation. I have tried velour pads on some closed models before and even though the comfort increased amazingly the sound severely suffered.

Im would like a decent open set of cans as well, but the sound Im getting from the MSR7s at the moment I am amazed with and Im really not sure what would match up with them in an open can. And Ive tried Senns HD600, 650 and even 660s. Of those 3 I would say the 660s was the best, but I didnt love them personaly .
Well, as I said already, I strongly suggest modding them (like in the link in my sig). The stock pads are ok, nothing special. HM5 sheepskins are amazing by comparison and aren't terribly expensive. The comfort isn't even comparable and they even get less sweaty/hot.

Hmmm... Open backs that sound like the MSR7... I don't have anything on my mind right now, but you may want to check the Fostex T60rp (Semi-open, but still), the Hifiman Sundara and the Focal Elex. Now, I haven't heard the T60rp and Elex, but from descriptions they may fit the bill. The Sundara, which I've heard, has a similar tonality, sounds a bit fuller but isn't as detailed. Soundstage is comparable too. The t60rp should be the closest of the bunch to the MSR7's sound. As for the Elex, people said that they are more detailed and less bassy than the Clears, and I've heard the clears side by side with the MSR7. More detailed and less bassy would get pretty close to the sound signature of the MSR7, so might be worth a look. If I can think of anything else, I'll make sure to post here.

May 21, 2019 at 5:17 AM Post #2,639 of 2,803
What are the pad dimensions, inner width, length and depth?
About 20mm depth, 65mm height and 45mm width (for the ear hole). Outside dimensions are about 95mm height and 80mm width.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back