Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Mar 5, 2019 at 10:42 AM Post #2,611 of 2,803
Hey bro! Yeah, I've been trying to spread awareness, so to speak. Seems not enough people take these things seriously, they are perceived as "fashion cans" because they're portable. Oh how little do they know... Seriously, I need to go to like Audeze stuff to get something REALLY better.

Hmmm... Your ideas sound interesting! Please do post your findings if do do end up trying any of those!

I do want to try more damping/filtering stuff, but I haven't had the time to go hunting for materials. Also, for the life of me, I can't find that filler rod anywhere. It's like Greeks don't use that at all. So I ended up butchering an old USB cable (about 4-5mm diameter), curled it, stuck the 2 pieces into circles and used them like you used the foam rod. And oh god yes, the HM5 are as thick as they were new, no more "spilling" on the sides. With that, however, the treble got a bit harsh again. Like, the highest of high notes got way stronger and harsh. So I came back home after being away for a few days and used a piece of bluetack (well, the white version, but it's the same thing) to cover the middle piece partially, where the driver sits, around the hole to the back. It's been like half an hour, but so far I'm liking the results. I can't exactly pinpoint what changed, but the higher frequencies seems smoother. I think I can also make out some more detail, but that may be because my ears are not pierced by treble. Definitely sounds a bit clearer though. I've done a very rough job quickly, but a better set of hands could probably work wonders.

I want to get some of the fixomull stuff you mentioned and see how that works. Being a doctor, it probably won't be hard to come by. I think you could try doing something else instead of taping it over the hole where the stock felt was. If you look at the bottom of the driver, where the wires attach to it, there's a small hole. If the material is indeed breathable, you could stick it there for better damping while retaining the volume of air available at the back.

When I talked about suede pads, I probably won't be buying those for the MSR7. I just want to try them on the MSR7 if I can find other reasons to buy them. With that said, I don't think they'll be so bad, definitely not as bad as velour ones.

PS : I found a couple of songs that really showcase some of the MSR7's strengths. One is Oh Mama from Run the Jewels for the bass. It's got some of the deepest/best bass lines I've heard in a song. Another one for testing bass is Avaritia from Deadmau5. Then, for the soundstage, try Strive from Amber Rubarth (along with the whole album it's from). I legit thought speakers were playing. It's scary.

PS 2 : I noticed your headband is different. What did you do? Looks like the pleather started breaking apart and you took it all off. Am I right? Or did you replace it?

Tolis!

We're still here. I'm a tad busy being a married man with three very young children and a 4 hour round trip to work and back (for the past 12 years), time starts to be a precious resource.

OK. If you're in the medical field give Fixomull Stretch a go! Come on mate, it can't hurt, really it can't, I feel that you have an aversion to the stuff and to filters too (or a fixation to damping materials). I really have tried these things and they really do work. All I'm asking is to possibly give them a go and see if they work for you.

I've listened to all of the songs you noted, and yes I have to agree that "Oh Mama" is a great song to test the bass on the MSR7s (as long as you don't get too offended by the slightly colourful language). Deadmau5 is a good choice too. I like his stuff too. Also, I was aware of Amber Rubarth and her binaural album "Sessions From the 17th Ward". It's an audio sensation and a must to listen to at least once.

One of my go to songs for bass testing is "Why So Serious?" from the Dark Knight (movie motion picture) album. Just skip to 3:26 and 6:01 and see if your cans can reproduce it. Try it out.

As for the headband, I've been wearing them so much that the pleather covering material has come away, leaving a cotton material which seems to be quite durable. I'm wanting to get the headband material replaced with sheepskin leather, but that's another day.

OK. That's it from me. I'll catch you guys around.

Last edited:
Mar 5, 2019 at 12:01 PM Post #2,612 of 2,803
Hey bro! Yeah, I've been trying to spread awareness, so to speak. Seems not enough people take these things seriously, they are perceived as "fashion cans" because they're portable. Oh how little do they know... Seriously, I need to go to like Audeze stuff to get something REALLY better.

Hmmm... Your ideas sound interesting! Please do post your findings if do do end up trying any of those!

I do want to try more damping/filtering stuff, but I haven't had the time to go hunting for materials. Also, for the life of me, I can't find that filler rod anywhere. It's like Greeks don't use that at all. So I ended up butchering an old USB cable (about 4-5mm diameter), curled it, stuck the 2 pieces into circles and used them like you used the foam rod. And oh god yes, the HM5 are as thick as they were new, no more "spilling" on the sides. With that, however, the treble got a bit harsh again. Like, the highest of high notes got way stronger and harsh. So I came back home after being away for a few days and used a piece of bluetack (well, the white version, but it's the same thing) to cover the middle piece partially, where the driver sits, around the hole to the back. It's been like half an hour, but so far I'm liking the results. I can't exactly pinpoint what changed, but the higher frequencies seems smoother. I think I can also make out some more detail, but that may be because my ears are not pierced by treble. Definitely sounds a bit clearer though. I've done a very rough job quickly, but a better set of hands could probably work wonders.

I want to get some of the fixomull stuff you mentioned and see how that works. Being a doctor, it probably won't be hard to come by. I think you could try doing something else instead of taping it over the hole where the stock felt was. If you look at the bottom of the driver, where the wires attach to it, there's a small hole. If the material is indeed breathable, you could stick it there for better damping while retaining the volume of air available at the back.

When I talked about suede pads, I probably won't be buying those for the MSR7. I just want to try them on the MSR7 if I can find other reasons to buy them. With that said, I don't think they'll be so bad, definitely not as bad as velour ones.

PS : I found a couple of songs that really showcase some of the MSR7's strengths. One is Oh Mama from Run the Jewels for the bass. It's got some of the deepest/best bass lines I've heard in a song. Another one for testing bass is Avaritia from Deadmau5. Then, for the soundstage, try Strive from Amber Rubarth (along with the whole album it's from). I legit thought speakers were playing. It's scary.

PS 2 : I noticed your headband is different. What did you do? Looks like the pleather started breaking apart and you took it all off. Am I right? Or did you replace it?

We didn't come back to life. We were always here, lurking... :p

Glad we could help mate!

While I don't have experience, the Dekoni pads should affect the sound less. The HM5 though are bigger and tested. By all means, you can get the Dekoni ones, but I can't guarantee they'll work.

Regarding Dynamat, people have used it for modding headphones with great success, so you could try it! I wanted to get some too, but I can't justify the expense.

Really though, getting HM5 sheepskin pads and removing the felt ring will get you 90% of the way there. The rest is tuning for the details. Worth the effort, but nothing else I've tried has made such a dramatic difference to the sound. Also, don't worry about your skill level. I'm pretty clumsy when it comes to electronics and small work. Just pay attention to the small wires connecting the drivers and you'll be fine! Oh, and a friendly piece of advice that I learned the hard way. While working with the pads off, use someting to cover the drivers, preferably something that will stick to it and don't fall off. You don't want hair or anything on your diaphragm, it will sound like you've blown them and it's a pain to get anything out of there.

You're using the HM5s on an otherwise stock MSR7? Wow, you must really like treble AND hate bass...

so i found my old msr7 in a drawer with a broken yaxi pad and figured why not open it up and give the mod a try. it sounded weird at first but i think i prefer these more than my r70x now ! thanks for sharing the mod ! sounds great even with my broken ear pad. will try to find me some hm5 ear pads now.

Mar 6, 2019 at 11:57 AM Post #2,613 of 2,803
@ModiHiFi Heh whenever you get the chance please, I'm literally just piling up parts
and I will try to get some of the other cotton density stuff and pics would help since I get some direction rather than shooting in the dark haha, I thought about using an open cell foam since I have a few pieces of it, something like this since its used in cars and its basically the same material as speaker grille/covers any thoughts?
14x09r9.jpg

Mar 12, 2019 at 9:36 PM Post #2,614 of 2,803
Well, I was out of town for about a week, so sorry I took so long guys!
Wow you're a doctor? thats awesome, one of my dream jobs haha and no wonder you're so detail oriented as far as dynamat, I found something better
https://store.secondskinaudio.com/d...eets-small-project-computer-or-headphone-mod/
it's a bit thicker than the dynamat, but its alot cheaper since it's just a tiny piece of it and others seem to use it for headphones, and they already know so they have it properly sized
I will post an update once I'm done, so far I got the fixomul tape, which is just sticky medical tape, was waiting on modihifi to post an update heh but I guess hes gone again
So far, just gathering materials, got the dekoni sheepskin pads in, fixomul tape, the damper, I have various sheets of high density foam, and I was gonna get filler rods today
Hahaha, don't fall for the hype. It's just a job like any other. It's on the more demanding end too. The working hours are killers.

Hmmm... I'll check that stuff out! I can't justify spending the dough for Dynamat now, but this seems more reasonable. I'll see if I can find it around the EU!
I'll need to take apart my cans to show you how I applied the Fixomull Stretch. While they're apart, I'll go for a couple of new materials to dampen the rear of the cans and see if that can do anything positive.

Yes, the filler rod is to be placed inside the leather ear pads to help raise them a little for more soundstage and comfort. As Tolis mentioned, this slightly increases the upper treble frequency range of the cans, but the Vlieseline batting material is there to tame this issue with flying colours.

The cotton looking stuff is the Vlieseline batting material which could probably be found at any leading haberdashery around your local area. It's the best high frequency material that I have used and tested extensively.
For what it's worth, damping the back with bluetack also worked for the highs after adjusting the pads with filler. Filters would probably work better, but I haven't tried that yet.

Quick sidenote, I'm amazed by how these cans can keep their imaging unaffected with the widening of the soundstage.
Tolis!

We're still here. I'm a tad busy being a married man with three very young children and a 4 hour round trip to work and back (for the past 12 years), time starts to be a precious resource.

OK. If you're in the medical field give Fixomull Stretch a go! Come on mate, it can't hurt, really it can't, I feel that you have an aversion to the stuff and to filters too (or a fixation to damping materials). I really have tried these things and they really do work. All I'm asking is to possibly give them a go and see if they work for you.

I've listened to all of the songs you noted, and yes I have to agree that "Oh Mama" is a great song to test the bass on the MSR7s (as long as you don't get too offended by the slightly colourful language). Deadmau5 is a good choice too. I like his stuff too. Also, I was aware of Amber Rubarth and her binaural album "Sessions From the 17th Ward". It's an audio sensation and a must to listen to at least once.

One of my go to songs for bass testing is "Why So Serious?" from the Dark Knight (movie motion picture) album. Just skip to 3:26 and 6:01 and see if your cans can reproduce it. Try it out.

As for the headband, I've been wearing them so much that the pleather covering material has come away, leaving a cotton material which seems to be quite durable. I'm wanting to get the headband material replaced with sheepskin leather, but that's another day.

OK. That's it from me. I'll catch you guys around.
4 hour commute? Damn that's nasty. At least you can spend that time appreciating your headphones. Looking at the bright side of things, I guess. Every cloud has a silver lining and all. :p

But really, dude, I admire your patience with this stuff. That said, better spend time with the kids and wife than with guys in forums obsessing over headphones. Cheers! :beerchug:

Oh I will. Don't get me wrong, I have nothing agaist the filters you use. In fact, that's how I started messing with the MSR7 in the first place. I was running them with a piece of toilet paper in front of the driver for like a month using the HM5 pads before removing the felt inside them. The reason I'm fixated on internal damping is that I want to get the acoustics of the chamber right first before I start adding stuff to the front. Really, properly damping the back seems to get rid of many issues that closed backs have. Like, if you crank the volume, you lose detail in these and they start sounding harsh. That's not just an FR thing, it got quite a bit better with bluetack. Once I'm done with that side of modding them, then I'll focus more on tuning the frequency response by adding filters like you did. Why not do both, you'll ask. Well, that's probably because I'm stubborn. :p

That Amber Rubarth album is something else, isn't it? Not my cup of tea in music (like, really, most of the stuff I posted about isn't, I'm a metalhead), but damn it feels good to listen to!

Ok, I heard "Why so serious?". Jesus. That rumble must be like 50Hz. I couldn't imagine it sounding so good without a subwoofer. The fact that it didn't distort actually surprised me. I felt it pressing against my eardrums, shaking my earlobes, but the sound itself was great. My 58x didn't fare as well. Still, better than I expected tbh, but they don't reach as low as the MSR7 and they didn't manage to keep their resolution at those low frequencies. Also, I don't know if I was hearing some slight distortion or if it's just the driver moving at its limits. It sounded good enough, just not as good as the MSR7. Gotta try that song on large speakers now. Oh well, when I visit my father again. His speakers are some of the best I've heard (Vienna Acoustics Baby Grand Mozart I think).

Ah, I guessed that that's what happened to the headband. Nice to see that it's still usable like that. I want to wrap it in leather too at some point, but for some reason mine is still holding up pretty well, no flaking or anything, so it stays. I'll probably make it wider and add padding while I'm at it when I decide to fix it though.

Finally, in case you find this interesting. Over the weekend, I visited my uncle. So, in his house he has this 30+ year old audio setup with a turntable, some CD players, an FM tuner, tape players etc. What was interesting was his amp. It's a NAD 3020e from the early 80s. I researched that thing and turns out it's pretty damn good, even by todays standards. His speakers were damaged, so I couldn't test with those, but I saw that it had a headphone out. So I thought "What the hell?" and plugged the amp into my phone and then plugged the MSR7 to the NAD. And sweet mother of god... The only time the MSR7 have sounded better was with >1000€ amps in an audio show I went to in November, but marginally so. I can't stress how surprisingly good the result was. Bass became even more authoritative and quick, I got even more resolution, the highs smoothed out (didn't decrease, but they seemed to be handled better) and the soundstage expanded quite a bit. It really was something. Then I noticed the thing had tone controls, so I cranked the bass up and listened to Oh Mama. I'm not joking, my head was shaking. Every beat slammed my skull fiercly. These things may be efficient, but damn what a difference a good and powerful amp can make to them...
so i found my old msr7 in a drawer with a broken yaxi pad and figured why not open it up and give the mod a try. it sounded weird at first but i think i prefer these more than my r70x now ! thanks for sharing the mod ! sounds great even with my broken ear pad. will try to find me some hm5 ear pads now.
Glad you liked it! I'm quite sure you're gonna like them even more with HM5s! I highly recommend the sheepskin ones because they feel SO nice. Also, look at some of the mods we've been posting in the last few pages. They can make enough difference to be worth the time investment!
@ModiHiFi Heh whenever you get the chance please, I'm literally just piling up parts
and I will try to get some of the other cotton density stuff and pics would help since I get some direction rather than shooting in the dark haha, I thought about using an open cell foam since I have a few pieces of it, something like this since its used in cars and its basically the same material as speaker grille/covers any thoughts?
14x09r9.jpg
Well, don't be afraid to try things. That foam looks like it could work, but it's too thick IMO. Maybe cut it in the middle so that it's half as thick and try it. It'll probably still be too thick to put in front of the driver (Won't hurt to try, though), but you can try cutting a circular piece with a hole in the middle and use it where I used bluetack for damping the back. Or you could add a thin piece of it in the very back of the cup to dampen that. Really, it's all trial and error here. If it works for you, others can try it out too in the future! :L3000:

Mar 20, 2019 at 4:11 PM Post #2,615 of 2,803
@ModiHiFi

Well, I decided to try things your way for once. But unfortunately, I can't find any of the materials you used. Living in a smaller city sucks for these kinds of things. Right off the bat, the only Vlieseline stuff I can find is some thick adhesive fabrics and not the thinner batting you used. I will try to find a shop that has felts and stuff locally and maybe try something similar, but that'll have to wait a bit. As for the Fixomull tapes, the only product I could find in Greece were some gauzes that come with preapplied powder to prevent sticking to blood clots, so that's a no no. I'll look around for those too, but for now, meh. I'd really appreciate it if you could give me some specifics on the things you used. Like, what is the thickness of the Vlieseline batting you used? Is it all cotton or does it also have nylon? And what exactly did you use from Fixomull? Simple porous medical adhesive, I suppose? If so, I can find other brands that offer the exact same thing here.

Other than that, because I do want to try it your way, I though that the cloth that covered the pads on my old AKG K514 MKII could work. I tried to wash these pads but they disintegrated on me, so I thought I'd repurpose them. I cut 2 "circles" (God help me if those are circles) with a diameter of about 45mm. Then I didn't know how to mount them. I tried some tape, but on one side it was floppy and sound escaped from all directions unimpeded, and on the other side I used too much tape, probably covered some of the driver holes and it sounded as if the singers had something stuck in their throats. So I had an epiphany and decided to use the miracle material that is bluetack (or whitetack, whatever). I made 2 strands just thick enough, stuck them on the perimeter of the driver and then stuck the cloth on that. Boom, like a glove. Now, the only thing this does soundwise is barely cut some harsh treble frequencies, but it's a really mild change and could be down to the adhesive or even placebo. BUT! Now I can take the pads off and work on the damn thing without being afraid of hair falling into the driver, 'cause it's a nightmare to get anything out of there. So I say it was a job well done. So now, I'm on the hunt for some properly thin felt...
IMG_20190320_004609.jpg IMG_20190320_004802.jpg
PS : The cloth is washed, but it's just permanently stained. And that's why I don't like light colored headphones.

PS 2 : I think that maybe the best material for the job would be some kind of foam, like the one Sennheiser uses on their HD 600 line below the pads. I'll try to take the foam off my 58x and try it on the MSR7, see what it does to them.

Last edited:
Mar 30, 2019 at 7:20 AM Post #2,616 of 2,803
14x09r9.jpg

Hi Gabzor,

Apologies for the length of time in replying. The sponge type of filter as you've pictured was one of the materials I don't have all that much experience with. I thought this type of material looked too dense to use as a filter, which in hind sight is a bit presumptuous as it could well be a good filter. I should try and get something that's very thin to use and give a go as it could be good. I suppose I didn't try it after I reached what I believed to be a very satisfactory solution to making the MSR7s sound their very best and haven't moved forward in trying to make them sound even better. I still find it difficult to believe that these headphones can sound better than what they currently do.

@ModiHiFi

Well, I decided to try things your way for once. But unfortunately, I can't find any of the materials you used. Living in a smaller city sucks for these kinds of things. Right off the bat, the only Vlieseline stuff I can find is some thick adhesive fabrics and not the thinner batting you used. I will try to find a shop that has felts and stuff locally and maybe try something similar, but that'll have to wait a bit. As for the Fixomull tapes, the only product I could find in Greece were some gauzes that come with preapplied powder to prevent sticking to blood clots, so that's a no no. I'll look around for those too, but for now, meh. I'd really appreciate it if you could give me some specifics on the things you used. Like, what is the thickness of the Vlieseline batting you used? Is it all cotton or does it also have nylon? And what exactly did you use from Fixomull? Simple porous medical adhesive, I suppose? If so, I can find other brands that offer the exact same thing here.

Other than that, because I do want to try it your way, I though that the cloth that covered the pads on my old AKG K514 MKII could work. I tried to wash these pads but they disintegrated on me, so I thought I'd repurpose them. I cut 2 "circles" (God help me if those are circles) with a diameter of about 45mm. Then I didn't know how to mount them. I tried some tape, but on one side it was floppy and sound escaped from all directions unimpeded, and on the other side I used too much tape, probably covered some of the driver holes and it sounded as if the singers had something stuck in their throats. So I had an epiphany and decided to use the miracle material that is bluetack (or whitetack, whatever). I made 2 strands just thick enough, stuck them on the perimeter of the driver and then stuck the cloth on that. Boom, like a glove. Now, the only thing this does soundwise is barely cut some harsh treble frequencies, but it's a really mild change and could be down to the adhesive or even placebo. BUT! Now I can take the pads off and work on the damn thing without being afraid of hair falling into the driver, 'cause it's a nightmare to get anything out of there. So I say it was a job well done. So now, I'm on the hunt for some properly thin felt...

PS : The cloth is washed, but it's just permanently stained. And that's why I don't like light colored headphones.

PS 2 : I think that maybe the best material for the job would be some kind of foam, like the one Sennheiser uses on their HD 600 line below the pads. I'll try to take the foam off my 58x and try it on the MSR7, see what it does to them.

Tolis,

I can send you the Vlieseline and Fixomull Stretch materials if you'd like? I can easily send them in a standard envelope. It's not that hard to do. Let me know if that's something that's cool with you. As for sticking them down, I used another type of medical tape that's quite narrow and easy to apply. That did the trick for me. Otherwise, cut the filter to the same shape as the back of the HM5 pads and stick it within the ear pads. That's what I do (there's a photo of my pads somewhere a page or two back). It's easier that way if changing ear pads or even the filters - no sticky tape to worry about.

As for using a foam, that sounds like a good idea. The only thing that comes to mind is that it shouldn't be dense and it should be thin. One thing that could fit these criteria that comes to mind is vacuum cleaner filters. I should go and get some from the local electrical appliance store / speciality store. Just another thing to add to the list of things that could possibly make the MSR7s sound their best. I just need to get on and do it.

Later people.

Mar 30, 2019 at 12:42 PM Post #2,617 of 2,803
Tolis,

I can send you the Vlieseline and Fixomull Stretch materials if you'd like? I can easily send them in a standard envelope. It's not that hard to do. Let me know if that's something that's cool with you. As for sticking them down, I used another type of medical tape that's quite narrow and easy to apply. That did the trick for me. Otherwise, cut the filter to the same shape as the back of the HM5 pads and stick it within the ear pads. That's what I do (there's a photo of my pads somewhere a page or two back). It's easier that way if changing ear pads or even the filters - no sticky tape to worry about.

As for using a foam, that sounds like a good idea. The only thing that comes to mind is that it shouldn't be dense and it should be thin. One thing that could fit these criteria that comes to mind is vacuum cleaner filters. I should go and get some from the local electrical appliance store / speciality store. Just another thing to add to the list of things that could possibly make the MSR7s sound their best. I just need to get on and do it.

Later people.
My man, you're the best for even thinking about sending me the materials needed. But there's no need to, I will find equivalents here. Not to mention that, even for such a simple thing, shipping to Greece from Australia would not be cheap. But really, thank you for even thinking about it! :)

So, in the meantime, I destroyed an old hoodie of mine by accident. The insides of said hoodie were filled with a thin material, like compressed cotton, much like what I expect the Vlieseline stuff to be. So I took my scissors and further destroyed the poor thing, cutting filters from it. I'm just using them now. They didn't make TOO much of a difference, because I didn't remove the previous filters from the front of the pads, but they further calmed the treble down, smoothed the edges of it so to speak. At first, I just cranked the volume to loud and played my classic testing songs. What I noticed was elevated bass and midrange. Took me a few seconds to realize that I pushed the volume a bit further because of the decrease in treble. :p

But yeah, I do like the results. I don't know if this is the best these headphones can sound, but it's certainly much better than many others can sound. After removing the felt for the first time, I had this epiphany. After that moment, it's been tuning to my liking and testing stuff you and others here (but mostly you tbh) have tried.

Yeah, I suppose that would be a great option for filtering highs. I haven't had the time to mess with these too much lately (even though I did the hoodie thing, that was a decision of the moment), but I will try the foam from my 58x. I don't know where I could find foam like that though if I like the results.

Cheers!

Mar 31, 2019 at 10:06 AM Post #2,618 of 2,803
Hi

Can i ask you if with this product the male or female voice are recessed compared to bass ?
I want a good HP also for multimedia, specially movie where the dialogues are most important.

Bass is punchy ?

Mar 31, 2019 at 8:29 PM Post #2,619 of 2,803
Hi

Can i ask you if with this product the male or female voice are recessed compared to bass ?
I want a good HP also for multimedia, specially movie where the dialogues are most important.

Bass is punchy ?
If you like bass and are not into modding (even if it's really simple stuff), then these aren't the headphones for you. Vocals are great, both female and male (but mostly female), but the bass is sorely lacking. It's great in quality, but it just isn't enough at stock.

If, again, you don't want to mod, I can suggest the Sony MDR-1A as a similar headphone. Or, if you don't mind going open back, the Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58x is also insane for about the same money. For a tad more, you can get the MSR7b, the newer and better version.

If you are into simple modding, read through this thread and in the link in my signature. The MSR7 can be modded to become insane.

Apr 1, 2019 at 6:07 AM Post #2,620 of 2,803
If you like bass and are not into modding (even if it's really simple stuff), then these aren't the headphones for you. Vocals are great, both female and male (but mostly female), but the bass is sorely lacking. It's great in quality, but it just isn't enough at stock.

If, again, you don't want to mod, I can suggest the Sony MDR-1A as a similar headphone. Or, if you don't mind going open back, the Massdrop/Sennheiser HD58x is also insane for about the same money. For a tad more, you can get the MSR7b, the newer and better version.

If you are into simple modding, read through this thread and in the link in my signature. The MSR7 can be modded to become insane.
I dont like bass
Usually i look for devices with bass recessed or at the limit a really FLAT sound ( the male and female voice not recessed is most important things for me )
No, i am not a modder and i dont like it.

Last edited:
Apr 1, 2019 at 2:45 PM Post #2,621 of 2,803
I had the same experience about a year ago when my NAD D3020 arrived. I wanted to simplify my desktop rig so sold almost everything including desktop amp, DAC, cables etc. I even sold my speakers and bought more efficient Monitor Audios, I kept my MSR7 and NAD HP50 only. The idea was that the NAD will be good enough for my basic listening needs but I wasn't prepared for what it did with the MSR7. I've always loved this headphone, but it's true that it can be a bit edgy sometimtes and bass is a bit shy here and there. That was all gone with the NAD, like it was built for the MSR7. It never sounded better, bass became stronger and even more agile than before, soundstage became larger and that upper midrange edge just disappeared. It's warmer, more balanced and overall a lot better than ever before. Looks like it's a match!

Ps: It's funny that more than 30 years have passed, NAD has moved to "hybrid digital" from analogue and yet we had very similar results :)

Finally, in case you find this interesting. Over the weekend, I visited my uncle. So, in his house he has this 30+ year old audio setup with a turntable, some CD players, an FM tuner, tape players etc. What was interesting was his amp. It's a NAD 3020e from the early 80s. I researched that thing and turns out it's pretty damn good, even by todays standards. His speakers were damaged, so I couldn't test with those, but I saw that it had a headphone out. So I thought "What the hell?" and plugged the amp into my phone and then plugged the MSR7 to the NAD. And sweet mother of god... The only time the MSR7 have sounded better was with >1000€ amps in an audio show I went to in November, but marginally so. I can't stress how surprisingly good the result was. Bass became even more authoritative and quick, I got even more resolution, the highs smoothed out (didn't decrease, but they seemed to be handled better) and the soundstage expanded quite a bit. It really was something. Then I noticed the thing had tone controls, so I cranked the bass up and listened to Oh Mama. I'm not joking, my head was shaking. Every beat slammed my skull fiercly. These things may be efficient, but damn what a difference a good and powerful amp can make to them...

Last edited:
Apr 4, 2019 at 8:23 AM Post #2,622 of 2,803
Just bought a Pioneer HDJ X10 Today (350$), HDJ X10 is much better than MSR7, HDJ X10 Have much more detail than Msr7, HDJ X10 have rich strong Sub Bass and bass.
And HDJ X10 is atleast 10X more Comfort than msr7. Im not gonna buy any headphone from audio technica again.

Apr 4, 2019 at 11:19 AM Post #2,623 of 2,803
Just bought a Pioneer HDJ X10 Today (350$), HDJ X10 is much better than MSR7, HDJ X10 Have much more detail than Msr7, HDJ X10 have rich strong Sub Bass and bass.
And HDJ X10 is atleast 10X more Comfort than msr7. Im not gonna buy any headphone from audio technica again.

I’m very happy for you. I hope you get many years of pleasurable listening from them. I’m sure the readers on the HDJX10 thread will appreciate your thoughts and opinion greatly too.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back