Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Apr 14, 2017 at 4:21 PM Post #2,131 of 2,803
I share this sentiment, I like the MSR more than the MDR. Sony's felt very muddy compared to the MSR, and even though the MSR was brighter and much sharper, my brain grew to like it and I had no issue with the heat :p

I listen to a lot of Jazz, I'm a 60 baby so it's in my DNA lol
I change my pads from the originals. I forgot where I got them but they are soft not hard.

Apr 16, 2017 at 2:41 AM Post #2,135 of 2,803
The MSR7 is better in any way. The M40x is more V shaped. I cannot understand that some call this neutral, it is not at all.  The bass is faster then the Mx 50, but that one is is more warm and pleasant. On the MX 40, what has annoyed me was the thinness of voices, especially female one's. Compare Rihanna on both and you know what I mean. On the Mx 40 she sound thin and her exotic feature is almost gone, while on the MSR 7, it is much more realistic.

While the MSR 7 press too much on your head, the MX 40 is straight uncomfortable.  The sound stage is not spectacular on both, but there also the MSR 7 is better.  In that departement, if you like it or not (some bass bleeding on some recordings) The Sony MDR 1 A does has a better sound stage. I think it comes from the position of the drivers, which are closer to the ear with the Msr 7.

Apr 16, 2017 at 1:37 PM Post #2,136 of 2,803
Hi guys, please could anybody help me compare ATH-MRS7 vs Yamaha MT220 and AKG K550 mk2? I have narrowed my search between these. I want to use them for everything music, movies, mixing etc. I am mainly about sound quality but they must be comfortable as well. I prefer neutral sound as would use EQ to make them according my tasted. I have decent amps too not looking for portable. Thanks 

Apr 16, 2017 at 10:20 PM Post #2,138 of 2,803
Actually I am just between MSR7 and Denon AH-MM400.... hopefully I get a chance to listen to both. 

Apr 17, 2017 at 1:46 PM Post #2,139 of 2,803
I have MSR7 two weeks, great value headphones, my first serious pair of headphones were Sony MDR-1A, still have it of course, Sony's are much more comfortable and lighter but MSR7 are much better quality built with more metal and more premium looks. 

For casual listening Sony's are great, nice paired with modern music and slow bass, atmospheric generes because they are so rounded and chill.

For analytical and fast stuff MSR7 wins always, so clear with crisp top end, direct midrange and tight fast bass, beautifull.  

Apr 18, 2017 at 2:45 AM Post #2,140 of 2,803
  Yes, this seems the logical choice for outdoors listening. I just hope that listening to the 1000x via wired connection + the quad DAC on the V20 will sound better than wirelessly, 'cause if I'll only hear the MDR 1000x with BT, then why the hell did I buy such an expensive a smartphone? :)

Oh, I think itd still benefit from it, when you use wired connection with ANC off, you can still make use of the DAC and AMP from your LG without any tempering by the Sony, also, if your phone can be updated to Android 0, support for LDAC will also be added in the future.
one review from 1000x thread: "And surprisingly, they are a really REALLY good pair of cans when used powered off, wired. They're really versatile, and for the average user who doesn't want 1000 pairs of headphones, and wants something that sounds fenomenal on the go, wirelessly, but also want to use the same pair wired when the occasion arises, these headphones are worth every single cent of the 400 USD MSRP"

Apr 19, 2017 at 1:08 AM Post #2,142 of 2,803
As an experienced MSR7 NC user, I think it is one of the best headphones that I ever heard. The instrument separation and detail is best in class and even rivas higher tier headphones. Bass is not the best in this headphone, what does great in this headphone is their smooth, lively vocals. However, MSR7 NC require LONG burn in period to bring out it's maximum performance. A cable upgrade is recommended for a more refined highs and better bass performance (the original cable from AT gives a real bad impact on sound quality) . Active mode and passive mode sounds almost the same (95%). Don't worry about impendance, my old Z5 premium drove them well.

My equipment
Sony Z5 premium
Sony A35 Walkman
Sony PHA1A digital amplifier
Sony silver OFC hybrid 4 core cable

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:08 AM Post #2,143 of 2,803
  Actually I am just between MSR7 and Denon AH-MM400.... hopefully I get a chance to listen to both. 

Depends a bit on how your ears process the music, I have had both, and still have ATH-MSR7 while I have returned Denons after 20 days of thorough listening.

With modern, well produced recordings, or "listen again" broadcasts on the web (high quality), or any other material of the decent quality, Denon AH-MM400 had so much bass presence that it was overwhelming to my ears. I simply couldn't live with it.

Audio Technica ATH-MSR7, on the other hand, are much more tonally balanced, again, to my ears, and fast and detailed can.
They are in no way bass-shy, so that part of the some opinions issued on ATH-MSR7 is a bit difficult for me to understand or relate to.

Mine have been acquired well burnt-in, as it seems, and I am really enjoying them... Then again, as references at home I have AKG-K701, and
Grado GS-1000 (both very picky on how and what amplifier you pair them with), so this falls well into the type of the headphone I am accustomed to, and sound signature that I prefer. Having said that, do note that neither of these two headphones for home use would work to my satisfaction, being as they are, if they were not succesfully paired with the well matching headphone amp.

The thing is, most of the today's, recently produced material is of such quality that the need for the headphone that is not overly bassy, and has fast, tight and controlled bass representation, is, in my opinion, becoming more and more evident.

My recommendation would certainly be the ATH-MSR7, based on my experience, but even the whole array of reviews that, from what I have read, favor them.

Apr 19, 2017 at 11:42 AM Post #2,144 of 2,803
As an experienced MSR7 NC user, I think it is one of the best headphones that I ever heard. The instrument separation and detail is best in class and even rivas higher tier headphones. Bass is not the best in this headphone, what does great in this headphone is their smooth, lively vocals. However, MSR7 NC require LONG burn in period to bring out it's maximum performance. A cable upgrade is recommended for a more refined highs and better bass performance (the original cable from AT gives a real bad impact on sound quality) . Active mode and passive mode sounds almost the same (95%). Don't worry about impendance, my old Z5 premium drove them well.

My equipment
Sony Z5 premium
Sony A35 Walkman
Sony PHA1A digital amplifier
Sony silver OFC hybrid 4 core cable

Nice Rig
biggrin.gif

I love the MSR7 it's part of my commute gear love it! DX80

Apr 19, 2017 at 4:18 PM Post #2,145 of 2,803
Thank you for detailed view on both of these headphones. The MSR7 certainly has my attention and according many users these are really solid quality. Despite all that I do prefer a bit warm sound with slightly expanded bass signature plus I have already one Denons which I have to admit sound amazing. They seem to be my first choice at the moment.

I might end up buying both of these as the MSR7 sci-fi design looks fantastic plus would be great to have a option to listen to both according my mood. I went to few shops to check them out but the MSR7 were sold out. Once I get any of these I will be posting my reviews and photos here. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back