Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Jun 24, 2016 at 4:31 PM Post #1,666 of 2,803
Hope you have better luck with them. I personally didn't have any comfort issues with the msr7. Some have reported the sore spot in the middle of the head, or tight clamping.
Ps most headphones are designed with headbands that are able to be altered for comfort. This involves simple bending, and isn't a mod or anything that would invalidate warranty. Keep this in mind for your headphones in future.
Pps, I don't mean to rain on your parade, but I personally found the msr7 to be streets ahead of the Urbanites in terms of sq. But, as always, each to their own.

uhhhhhhh the Senny urbanites are trash!! I was just being impulsive and wanted something quick to replace the MSR7's.
So much mid bass bleed into the vocals, sounded so congested. In fact, i'd go so far to say the urbanites sounded muffled. Grrr....I'll learn to be patient next time.
Comfort of the urbanites is so-so, although the actual design of the ear cups and how they slide to adjust is nice.
Style over substance I'm afraid.

I'll trust the Gods on Head-fi from now on!

Jun 24, 2016 at 4:42 PM Post #1,667 of 2,803
I kind of expected that this would happen if you bought the Urbanite.

Imho, you could try the Shure SRH440. It doesn't have the same linear bass extension as the MSR7 though.

Or alternatively, you could modify your ATHs' headband (additional padding for example).

Jun 24, 2016 at 5:38 PM Post #1,668 of 2,803
Unfortunately, I have now returned my MSR7's. Think I'll be doing some research while I wait until payday (only a week)
I'll be getting my money back and could allow some extra to be put towards my budget max of about £200

Jun 25, 2016 at 12:04 AM Post #1,670 of 2,803
The Anker braided cable is fabric-covered where the stock cable is plasticky. I got it in red (I have the brown/red MSR7s).
. Only headphone that I can honestlt say that comes to Msr7 level for the price is the Fidelio L2 only thing is that it is opened back and has a little less bass, but comfort and build is on another level and I don't know if its just me but from memory I found that the instrument seperation was slightly better on the L2, also the soundstage was wider on the Msr7 but the Fidelio L2 had a intimate but deeper & higher soundstage that was also wide but sounded intimate. Harf to explain but it actually sound awesome as for details were much easier to hear. L2 is another headphone that gives you big bang for the buck. :)

Jun 25, 2016 at 2:54 AM Post #1,671 of 2,803
uhhhhhhh the Senny urbanites are trash!! I was just being impulsive and wanted something quick to replace the MSR7's.
So much mid bass bleed into the vocals, sounded so congested. In fact, i'd go so far to say the urbanites sounded muffled. Grrr....I'll learn to be patient next time.
Comfort of the urbanites is so-so, although the actual design of the ear cups and how they slide to adjust is nice.
Style over substance I'm afraid.

I'll trust the Gods on Head-fi from now on!

That's a shame mate. But you will probably find quite a few headphones sound "muddy" coming from the msr7. I found this was the case with cans such as the m50x and vmoda m100. These cans weren't initially viewed as "muddy".
Edit-although these are significantly more expensive, you may want to consider the pm3 or sine. The bass and other frequencies are lazer sharp and resolving, but having said that, the msr7 performs above its price.

Jun 26, 2016 at 7:21 PM Post #1,672 of 2,803
For anyone who has crumple pads, Yaxi sTpad just put their products on Amazon now (only pleather version, the microfiber ome might be coming soon) :grinning:.

Btw, do you guys know if ATH can provide any replacement for the headband ? Mine is completely gone and i emailed them but no reply so far....

Jun 27, 2016 at 1:56 AM Post #1,674 of 2,803
For anyone who has crumple pads, Yaxi sTpad just put their products on Amazon now (only pleather version, the microfiber ome might be coming soon) :grinning:.

Btw, do you guys know if ATH can provide any replacement for the headband ? Mine is completely gone and i emailed them but no reply so far....
. How long did you have the Msr7 for untill the headband just gave up?

Jun 27, 2016 at 2:11 AM Post #1,675 of 2,803
. What was heavy usage for you if I may ask? I baby my headphones and would use these mostly at home 1-3 hours a day. Think i'd have same problems?

I'm sure I wear it for over 5 hours a day (with a break, of course). 1.5 years is good for, because some owners in local FB group (not only MSR7, but headphones with pleather headband), the headband crumbled faster than me
Yes, you will have same problems

Users who are viewing this thread

Back