Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
May 7, 2015 at 1:32 AM Post #781 of 2,803
May 7, 2015 at 11:02 AM Post #782 of 2,803
Yup - its unformate that standard 3mm (1/8") jacks dont fit with the MSR7s - as the housing slightly offsets the placement (the "clicking" mechanism im guessing)

Tried making my own cables with Neutrik connectors and they dont fit. 

May 8, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #783 of 2,803
  Yup - its unformate that standard 3mm (1/8") jacks dont fit with the MSR7s - as the housing slightly offsets the placement (the "clicking" mechanism im guessing)

Tried making my own cables with Neutrik connectors and they dont fit. 

Try Oyaide 3.5 mm mini jack as shown here:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/738758/new-audio-technica-ath-msr7-and-ath-msr7ltd/345#post_11168295

I bought it from Lunashop.

May 9, 2015 at 3:49 AM Post #784 of 2,803
Just got these in today.

My initial impression has nothing to do with sound: long-term comfort could be an issue with these, as they have a lot of clamping pressure. I suspect I'll need to physically break in the headband to potentially loosen it up. But before I do that, I'll have to try out an extended listening session with them (at least a couple of hours) to see how the comfort holds up.

As far as sound, they're definitely surprising! They easily blow away the AT ES7, and not by a little. I'm listening to metal as I write this, specifically Machine Head's Through The Ashes of Empires, which they're surprisingly great at.

More to come later.

May 9, 2015 at 9:26 AM Post #785 of 2,803
I read about some long listening person think that's comfortable and others not.

I know it depends of each person, but did you try to stretch the headset for a few days so that the headband does less pressure? If you've tried it, is it really better after?

Thanks and sorry for my english!

May 9, 2015 at 11:27 AM Post #786 of 2,803
  I read about some long listening person think that's comfortable and others not.

I know it depends of each person, but did you try to stretch the headset for a few days so that the headband does less pressure? If you've tried it, is it really better after?

Thanks and sorry for my english!

That's exactly what I did stretch them and their still tight.
It's going to take awhile my HD650 were like that in the beginning.

May 9, 2015 at 2:12 PM Post #788 of 2,803
I have a pretty normal sized head (never really had any comfort issues with 30+ cans), but these do need some break in. In my case I physically bent the band and don't have any clamping pressure issues anymore. 

May 10, 2015 at 2:59 AM Post #789 of 2,803
I think the MSR7 may very well be my favorite closed portable headphones from Audio-Technica ever!

No, they're not the best-sounding headphones that I've heard, because that'd be overstating things. But when it comes to closed portable headphones, and more specifically the ones I've heard made by Audio-Technica, which includes the ES5, OR7, FC7, and ES7, the MSR7 is easily the best! I'd also say these hands-down beat some of the other closed portable headphones I've heard in recent years like the V-MODA M-100 and Beyerdynamic DT1350!

They do sort of have a "monitor"-like sound to an extent, which helps them sound unusually hi-fi-ish for the price and achieve a degree of clarity that I've never heard at this price bracket period. Historically whenever I've used any <$300 headphone on my system, I've always found something lacking that made me want to go back to a more expensive headphone, but the MSR7 is literally the first <$300 headphone that doesn't make me feel like I'm missing anything that a more expensive headphone would provide.

And they do an even better job with movies and gaming too. In fact they're my new favorite headphones for gaming and have beaten out the ES7 for that purpose! Crysis has never sounded better.
smile.gif

The MSR7 would be an immediate replacement for the ES7 if it weren't for the comfort issue, which I'm still working on....

May 10, 2015 at 11:29 PM Post #790 of 2,803
  I think the MSR7 may very well be my favorite closed portable headphones from Audio-Technica ever!

No, they're not the best-sounding headphones that I've heard, because that'd be overstating things. But when it comes to closed portable headphones, and more specifically the ones I've heard made by Audio-Technica, which includes the ES5, OR7, FC7, and ES7, the MSR7 is easily the best! I'd also say these hands-down beat some of the other closed portable headphones I've heard in recent years like the V-MODA M-100 and Beyerdynamic DT1350!

They do sort of have a "monitor"-like sound to an extent, which helps them sound unusually hi-fi-ish for the price and achieve a degree of clarity that I've never heard at this price bracket period. Historically whenever I've used any <$300 headphone on my system, I've always found something lacking that made me want to go back to a more expensive headphone, but the MSR7 is literally the first <$300 headphone that doesn't make me feel like I'm missing anything that a more expensive headphone would provide.

And they do an even better job with movies and gaming too. In fact they're my new favorite headphones for gaming and have beaten out the ES7 for that purpose! Crysis has never sounded better.
smile.gif

The MSR7 would be an immediate replacement for the ES7 if it weren't for the comfort issue, which I'm still working on....

Agreed!!
As for the comfort issue,
I stretched it over a soccer all for a week or so like above comments said,
and they are perfect now!

The only gripe I have about them now is... its too damn hot in Hong Kong to use them outdoor now...

May 11, 2015 at 11:36 PM Post #791 of 2,803
May 20, 2015 at 8:19 PM Post #792 of 2,803
Been enjoying MSR7 for several days now...my early impression is these are one of the best headphones I've heard at any price.  Seriously impressed...

May 21, 2015 at 5:50 PM Post #795 of 2,803

Now get you a set of "Brainwavz" ear cups and you will have comfort and great sound!
biggrin.gif

They are really soft and does not change the sound
beyersmile.png

The stock pads are pretty good, no complaints.  Initial clamping pressure was a little high but it's totally comfortable now after a few days of use.  
Man, I still can't believe how good these phones sound...so glad I gave it a try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back