Audio-Technica ATH-MSR7 Discussion Thread
Mar 30, 2015 at 12:26 PM Post #691 of 2,803
  SSandDigital, how would you compare these to teh AT AD900x, which I see you mentioned? Thanks! 

AD900x when in the mood still my favorite headphones.  They are more fun sounding than the MSR7.  The mids are more recessed I think on the MSR7?  AD900x mids are fuller, and prominent, gives it a heavier sound.  AD900x are warmer than MSR7.  Definitely a more airy sound, the bass isn't as tight though, bass is better on MSR7.  The highs are more "fun" but the highs are more detailed on the MSR7.  But for a fun headphone, AD900x definitely probably at the top, but K712 Pro is more resolving and detailed than any of them.  The treble on AD900x I think is "fuller?" and MSR7 bit thinner/tinny at times.  But for a closed that isolates this well, MSR7 is beyond my expectations.  I found headphones with bass like that often have subdued mids and too much emphasis on treble and for me MSR7 mids is best I've heard for closed.

There is something magical about AD900x.  I know the sound is more congested, not as detailed as K712 or MSR7, maybe not has high res sound, but they are simply more fun to listen to when I'm listening to EDM, rock. AD900x has IMPACT, on both bass and treble, and mids are sweet.  The music just slams and impactful unlike the other headphones.  I can't put it into words since it's more emotional than sound I think, the impact is what makes AD900x special for me.  And the treble is harsh enough that if I blast the music, doesn't hurt and it's not shrill.  Unlike the others.

While I may rank the K712 and MSR7 above AD900x in overall sound evaluation, if I could only keep one, it would be AD900x.  May not make sense to others, it's not as great as others, but it just has more impact and fun.

The problem with AD900x is while it has the airiest sound of my headphones, sound can be congested, K712 Pro is the opposite, the separation is best I've heard (I don't spend more than $450 on headphones).  I'd say MSR7 has better separation than AD900x.

MSR7 has more similarities in mids/treble to K712 to me, but the bass on AD900x.  It's just a much better headphone than K551 for me.  K551 for me would cause ear ringing from that harsh treble, it's an enormous amount of treble, and mids just not up to snuff.  I listen to MSR7 at lower volume than any of the headphones, K551 I listen to loudest because the mids/bass just aren't enough, but then treble probably ear damaging (treble damages your ears more than bass does).

It's hard to compare AT to AT and then compare AT closed to AT open.  MSR7 is just surprisingly good sounding for a much smaller, isolating headphone I'm used to.  It's more detailed than any Sennheiser I've heard (up to HD650/Momentum), and Shure SRH840. 

Bottom line though, sitting at home, I'm going to be grabbing AD900x when I just want to blast music, K712 Pro when I want the separation and details.  MSR7 is the portable, open air > closed.

My review/impression are probably awful.  But there it is.

Mar 30, 2015 at 1:20 PM Post #692 of 2,803
Will be using these as my replacement cables.  As always, DoubleHelixCables.  His work, and ideas for cables are always top notch.

Mar 30, 2015 at 2:07 PM Post #693 of 2,803
AD900x when in the mood still my favorite headphones.  They are more fun sounding than the MSR7.  The mids are more recessed I think on the MSR7?  AD900x mids are fuller, and prominent, gives it a heavier sound.  AD900x are warmer than MSR7.  Definitely a more airy sound, the bass isn't as tight though, bass is better on MSR7.  The highs are more "fun" but the highs are more detailed on the MSR7.  But for a fun headphone, AD900x definitely probably at the top, but K712 Pro is more resolving and detailed than any of them.  The treble on AD900x I think is "fuller?" and MSR7 bit thinner/tinny at times.  But for a closed that isolates this well, MSR7 is beyond my expectations.  I found headphones with bass like that often have subdued mids and too much emphasis on treble and for me MSR7 mids is best I've heard for closed.

There is something magical about AD900x.  I know the sound is more congested, not as detailed as K712 or MSR7, maybe not has high res sound, but they are simply more fun to listen to when I'm listening to EDM, rock. AD900x has IMPACT, on both bass and treble, and mids are sweet.  The music just slams and impactful unlike the other headphones.  I can't put it into words since it's more emotional than sound I think, the impact is what makes AD900x special for me.  And the treble is harsh enough that if I blast the music, doesn't hurt and it's not shrill.  Unlike the others.

While I may rank the K712 and MSR7 above AD900x in overall sound evaluation, if I could only keep one, it would be AD900x.  May not make sense to others, it's not as great as others, but it just has more impact and fun.

The problem with AD900x is while it has the airiest sound of my headphones, sound can be congested, K712 Pro is the opposite, the separation is best I've heard (I don't spend more than $450 on headphones).  I'd say MSR7 has better separation than AD900x.

MSR7 has more similarities in mids/treble to K712 to me, but the bass on AD900x.  It's just a much better headphone than K551 for me.  K551 for me would cause ear ringing from that harsh treble, it's an enormous amount of treble, and mids just not up to snuff.  I listen to MSR7 at lower volume than any of the headphones, K551 I listen to loudest because the mids/bass just aren't enough, but then treble probably ear damaging (treble damages your ears more than bass does).

It's hard to compare AT to AT and then compare AT closed to AT open.  MSR7 is just surprisingly good sounding for a much smaller, isolating headphone I'm used to.  It's more detailed than any Sennheiser I've heard (up to HD650/Momentum), and Shure SRH840. 

Bottom line though, sitting at home, I'm going to be grabbing AD900x when I just want to blast music, K712 Pro when I want the separation and details.  MSR7 is the portable, open air > closed.

My review/impression are probably awful.  But there it is.

Thanks! You made my choice easier! Now I only need to choose between the ATH MSR7 and the Beyerdynamic T70p! You haven't heard that headphone by chance?

Mar 30, 2015 at 3:02 PM Post #694 of 2,803
Thanks! You made my choice easier! Now I only need to choose between the ATH MSR7 and the Beyerdynamic T70p! You haven't heard that headphone by chance?

No, only the DT770.  Looks matter to me and Beyer headphones never appeal to me.  Plenty of reviews for them though.

Mar 30, 2015 at 3:05 PM Post #695 of 2,803

I do agree that the gunmetal would look better with black pads, but I do not regret getting these at all.  Gunmetal with red is gorgeous.

Not a fan of these cables.  Looking for aftermarket cables or make my own once I figure out what I want to do.  I may just solder directly to the headphones, making them non-detachable.

These will be my portable headphones, so my priority is to find a hardcase to protect these beauties.

if youre looking to get some fancy cables - i might be able to help you.  I created some tangle proof cables for my MSR7 that goes with the color scheme. http://imgur.com/a/HRHXS  I think i have 2 extra 3.5mm viablue connnectors 

Mar 30, 2015 at 5:29 PM Post #696 of 2,803

No, only the DT770.  Looks matter to me and Beyer headphones never appeal to me.  Plenty of reviews for them though.

Thanks man! You just made me order the Audio Technica ATH-MSR7LTD. :D I will get it at wednesday. :) I could get it delivered tuesday, but do not have to go to school at wednesday. So I can use all my time to get used to this new baby. Thanks again

Mar 31, 2015 at 9:46 AM Post #697 of 2,803
I'm most disappointed that these headphones didn't come with hard case.  It's a shame since AT provides hardcase with their portable NC headphones.  Why not these?  Or did they think people were not going to use these as portable headphones?  It's a shortcoming since competing headphones like MDR1 and Momentum do, and frankly I think these are better looking and do want protection.

Going to keep looking through Amazon/Ebay for a suitable case.

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:01 AM Post #698 of 2,803
I compared the MSR7 to the Ultrasone 880.

MSR7 is more organic, more PRAT and really really good for low volume listening - that is the real sign for quality. I would love to have a bit more bass though.
880 has a bit more bass but is less organic, less precise, less PRAT and more fatiguing.
From memory the B&O H6 is more cool, less organic, has better imaging and sound staging but too thin overall.
All in the range of +/- 10%

Previously I have also tried the TH600 which had great sound staging but the bass is too much and muffles the rest. The Shure 1540 was really slow, unprecise and dull, the M50 was less refined than the MSR7. I use the chord hugo but the sound was also good out of my macbook air. As with the M50 I thought that audio technica makes the least mistakes in the business. I have found that higher end headphones excel in certain areas but lack in other areas in return. IMO audio technica delivers the most coherent performance.

EDIT: the 880 needed a lot of burn in time and is now better than the MSR7. Better Soundstage, separation, treble definition and texture, only the bass seems disjointed and a bit muddy - not as fast as the rest of the spectrum. Both MSR7 and 880 have a hard time to produce a fast and defined kick drum. The MSR7 really lacks lower bass.

Mar 31, 2015 at 10:07 AM Post #699 of 2,803
  I compared the MSR7 to the Ultrasone 880.

MSR7 is more organic, more PRAT and really really good for low volume listening - that is the real sign for quality. I would love to have a bit more bass though.
880 has a bit more bass but is less organic, less precise, less PRAT and more fatiguing.
From memory the H&O H6 is more cool, less organic, has better imaging and sound staging but too thin overall.

Thanks for your time, describing it against the H6. However, I am not too technical yet with headphones and do not understand the words you used. Or the meaning, rather. Could you elaborate on "Cool" and "Less organic"? And is the imaging and sound stage marginally better? 

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #700 of 2,803
  Thanks for your time, describing it against the H6. However, I am not too technical yet with headphones and do not understand the words you used. Or the meaning, rather. Could you elaborate on "Cool" and "Less organic"? And is the imaging and sound stage marginally better? 

http://www.tnt-audio.com/edcorner/prat_e.html

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:08 AM Post #701 of 2,803
ATH-MSR7 + Hitoto Yo songs = another eargasm for me. Thanks for Audio-Technica MSR7 ads, so I can know her. Her voice so good (IMO), good music arrangement, and her voice very unique on some songs. I'm shocked she is almost 40 years old 
eek.gif

Mar 31, 2015 at 11:24 AM Post #702 of 2,803
I'm waiting on the PM3, would love to compare it to my MSR7.  So far its the best closed back headphone ive tried (much better than UE6000, NVX Audio PT100) - but still significantly lacking to my open backed HE-400i's (understandably) 

Mar 31, 2015 at 12:03 PM Post #703 of 2,803

http://www.tnt-audio.com/edcorner/prat_e.html

That was an informative read. Thank you!

Apr 1, 2015 at 12:11 AM Post #705 of 2,803
Yeah, Audio Technica's prices here have been getting pretty cheap lately, sometimes even lower than Japanese retail prices.
biggrin.gif

My case looks pretty similar to yours, except that it doesn't have the moulded part inside and the front of the case has the word 'audio-technica' instead of just a logo. I'll try to post more pictures of the case on Wednesday.

I bought mine in singapore airport for the red limited edition at $278 plus the hard case which was free of charge!

Sounds great so far but still putting it through it's paces with Geekout 1000

Users who are viewing this thread

Back