Audio Technica ATH-Mfitzy Mod 1.0 (ATH-M50 Pad Mod)
Dec 29, 2015 at 3:25 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

P6fitz

New Head-Fier
This is a pad mod that where I had the idea of buffing up my JVC HA-M55X pads that sat on my Audio Technica ATH-M50s. Version 1.0 consists of shoving 6-7 normal sized cotton balls under the ear pad. The mod ends up making the headphones look like this:

COMFORT: Comfort is massively improved over the stock pads, they are now much thicker and plush. They are only marginally better than the stock JVC pads I did the mod with, your ear feels a little more cramped and is more susceptible to warmth. Still the comfort goes from about a 6.5/10 to a 7/10, so I'd say it's worth it.

SOUND: Sound doesn't change all too much from the original un-modded M50s, if anything the bass sounds a little cleaner, and the treble a tad more faint. Sound goes form about a 4/10 (stock) to a 4.5/10. 

Over all is it worth it? Yes, I'd say so, it improves the sound a little bit, (to my ears) and it also makes them comfier, which is a common issue pertaining the ATH-M50s. Just watch out, you ears may get hotter than they used to for long listening sessions. 

(VERSION 2.0 IS ON THE WAY)

Dec 29, 2015 at 11:23 PM Post #3 of 3
Funny you mention that! In version 2.0 I do just that, and so far it seems much more breathable. I'm still adding a few more mods here and there to get 2.0 to the final stage, which I plan to be a little bit more than just a pad mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back