Audio Technica ATH-M60X
Sep 4, 2018 at 9:28 PM Post #31 of 44
I have realised is not the highs, the highs are actually a tad bit recessed but well presented, in my desktop they sound like a dream, so I want to replicate that on the go. I also have the HD600s but I like the bass of the the m60xs, is so proper and stops where it has to (controlled?), the highs in both the 600s and m60xs leave me wanting a bit more sometimes, specially with the R2R.

As For DAPs I’ve been considering Xduoo X3ii but there is not as much info on them as I would like to, people praise the original X3 but the 2nd gen has a different dac chip and a mixed bag of opinions from, “they are lifeless to they are better than the og X3”. The Shangling is said to have an organic signature but the highs are also a bit less, which won’t do the m60xs any favour. I need a V shaped DAP! Hahah or one that is flat with good bass, I’m so scared of getting a DAP that makes the music sound lifeless.

Sep 6, 2018 at 11:22 AM Post #32 of 44
I have realised is not the highs, the highs are actually a tad bit recessed but well presented, in my desktop they sound like a dream, so I want to replicate that on the go. I also have the HD600 and K712 but I find the m60xs sound better with spotify or mp3 files for some reason, they are also more intimate of course. The highs in both the 600s and m60xs leave me wanting a bit more sometimes, specially with the R2R which sounds 'tubey' as people say (I've never heard a tube amp). I've been considering getting Beyer 770 250ohm as I have never had a full size closed back.

For DAPs I’ve been considering Xduoo X3ii but there is not as much info on them as I would like to, people praise the original X3 but the 2nd gen has a different dac chip, a mixed bag of opinions from, they are lifeless to they are better than the og X3. The Shangling is said to have an organic signature but the highs are also a bit less, which won’t do the m60xs any favour. I need a V shaped DAP! Hahah, I’m so scared of getting a DAP that makes the music sound lifeless.

Yes yes, I do like the slightly "recessed" highs, it seems smooth to me and I really like it. Maybe like I mentioned earlier, M60x is a more forgiving headphones to most tracks, and even poorly mastered tracks. And I do agree with you, sometimes I wish the HD600 would have a bit more treble to hear the songs more clearly, but to me, music is more about enjoying and not being too analytical. I have yet to try tube amps with HD600 tho, I heard it is really good and gives body to the music.

I see. I haven't seen much reviews on Xduoo X3ii though, so maybe someone can chip in? Hmmmm maybe you could try using your headphones with both DAPs at a local store? Then you will be able to tell if it is a good match? :)

Sep 6, 2018 at 11:39 AM Post #33 of 44
My M60x's were having a squaking problem with the right ear cup, it wouldn't hold up, maybe some hinge inside so I went to the store and the ones on display felt more solid and well built somehow, anyway I exchanged them for a pair of DT770's, got home and yuck! I hate the sound. Will go to the store tomorrow to get the M60x's back, they are like a drug :L3000:! Hopefully they understand and exchange them, otherwise I'll just have to buy them again and hope to sell the Beyers in the future, my wallet hurts :disappointed_relieved:. Also I've been looking into the Cayin n3, I feel like it would be the ultimate combo with the M60x's (I wish they folded though!! They feel a bit fragile).

P.S. I was listening to the album Off The Wall by Micky J and the treble in HD600's is just so lush and sparkly. But somehow I enjoyed that album just as much or even more when I had the M60x's. I like the intimacy of on-ears and those pads are amazing, you can physically feel the music, unlike with over ears where it is just straight sound.

Yes yes, I do like the slightly "recessed" highs, it seems smooth to me and I really like it. Maybe like I mentioned earlier, M60x is a more forgiving headphones to most tracks, and even poorly mastered tracks. And I do agree with you, sometimes I wish the HD600 would have a bit more treble to hear the songs more clearly, but to me, music is more about enjoying and not being too analytical. I have yet to try tube amps with HD600 tho, I heard it is really good and gives body to the music.

I see. I haven't seen much reviews on Xduoo X3ii though, so maybe someone can chip in? Hmmmm maybe you could try using your headphones with both DAPs at a local store? Then you will be able to tell if it is a good match? :)

Sep 6, 2018 at 11:43 AM Post #34 of 44
So I exchanged the DT770's for the m60x's and opened them in the store, both ear cups were loose and wouldn't hold up, the demo pair only had this problem on the left cup and the ones I had originally on the right. "I give up" I said, so I took them home and they also sound different! They sound more grainy than the ones I had originally.
If this had been my first pair I would've said, wow these are not that impressive at all; but the originals were, they sounded lush and made anything sound so good! I'm disappointed now, guitars sound distorted and the bass is not as good as before, mid bass it sounds like a little fart and whereas before I could go louder this new pair introduces sibilance, what the F@@@@!

This may be why reviews and impressions of the headphones differ to each other?

Last edited:
Sep 8, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #35 of 44
My M60x's were having a squaking problem with the right ear cup, it wouldn't hold up, maybe some hinge inside so I went to the store and the ones on display felt more solid and well built somehow, anyway I exchanged them for a pair of DT770's, got home and yuck! I hate the sound. Will go to the store tomorrow to get the M60x's back, they are like a drug :L3000:! Hopefully they understand and exchange them, otherwise I'll just have to buy them again and hope to sell the Beyers in the future, my wallet hurts :disappointed_relieved:. Also I've been looking into the Cayin n3, I feel like it would be the ultimate combo with the M60x's (I wish they folded though!! They feel a bit fragile).

P.S. I was listening to the album Off The Wall by Micky J and the treble in HD600's is just so lush and sparkly. But somehow I enjoyed that album just as much or even more when I had the M60x's. I like the intimacy of on-ears and those pads are amazing, you can physically feel the music, unlike with over ears where it is just straight sound.

Squaking problem? What do you mean by it? Like the rotation of the cups makes a squeaking sound?

So I exchanged the DT770's for the m60x's and opened them in the store, both ear cups were loose and wouldn't hold up, the demo pair only had this problem on the left cup and the ones I had originally on the right. "I give up" I said, so I took them home and they also sound different! They sound more grainy than the ones I had originally.
If this had been my first pair I would've said, wow these are not that impressive at all; but the originals were, they sounded lush and made anything sound so good! I'm disappointed now, guitars sound distorted and the bass is not as good as before, mid bass it sounds like a little fart and whereas before I could go louder this new pair introduces sibilance, what the F@@@@!

This may be why reviews and impressions of the headphones differ to each other?

Wow, that's great that the store's policy allows you to make an exchange again. Thumbs up for that. Both ear cups were loose? Are you referring to the headband adjustments? And how is that possible that the sound is so different? Could it be the lack of burn in period? Hmmm anyone who has a pair of this headphones could chip in on this?

Sep 8, 2018 at 5:05 AM Post #36 of 44
Squaking problem? What do you mean by it? Like the rotation of the cups makes a squeaking sound?

The ear cup's hinges on each side of the cups that hold them in place. Other pairs had a sort of locking that kept them up (only one, never both). If you could check your pair and tell me if they stay up or fall straight down that would be great. I wish I could open them to see what’s going on with the hinges or at least put lube on them so they don’t make a noise, it sounds like an old door opening! I ended up ordering a Cayin n3, hope it pairs well with these HP.

Also, this pair is as good as the original one now! I think it needed a burn in period because the bass has bloomed and also the soundstage has expanded considerably, as if everything just felt into place. Imaging as well! They feel a little warm with a special spark. The sheer musicality and airiness, R2R and ath60x is my end game! haha unless I get a tube for the hd600's, or find a full sized headphone with this type of attributes. These headphones smash my V-Moda XSs doggystyle.

PS: The guy on the store counter didn’t know I had already exchanged the DT770’s, I guess I was lucky. Right when I left the angry lady that told me not to come back came into the store hahah

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2018 at 1:39 AM Post #37 of 44
The ear cup's hinges on each side of the cups that hold them in place. Other pairs had a sort of locking that kept them up (only one, never both). If you could check your pair and tell me if they stay up or fall straight down that would be great. I wish I could open them to see what’s going on with the hinges or at least put lube on them so they don’t make a noise, it sounds like an old door opening! I ended up ordering a Cayin n3, hope it pairs well with these HP.

Also, this pair is as good as the original one now! I think it needed a burn in period because the bass has bloomed and also the soundstage has expanded considerably, as if everything just felt into place. Imaging as well! They feel a little warm with a special spark. The sheer musicality and airiness, R2R and ath60x is my end game! haha unless I get a tube for the hd600's, or find a full sized headphone with this type of attributes. These headphones smash my V-Moda XSs doggystyle.

PS: The guy on the store counter didn’t know I had already exchanged the DT770’s, I guess I was lucky. Right when I left the angry lady that told me not to come back came into the store hahah

Hey man, sorry I was away from headfi for quite a bit.

So you mean like when you are holding the headband of the headphones, one of the earcups will slide downwards? And it makes so much noise? I can hear the plastic sound when I rotate the cups slightly, I think that's all. Well, you can try to open the headphones, I think this headphones can be easily be taken apart and put them back together, I mean, they do sell the headband and the pads..

HAHAHA what a description for this headphones.

And lucky you man, you managed to get away with a new pair, not bad! And do you realise, at the top of the left ear cup, there's a volume limiter?

Oct 12, 2018 at 4:38 AM Post #38 of 44
Hey man, sorry I was away from headfi for quite a bit.

So you mean like when you are holding the headband of the headphones, one of the earcups will slide downwards? And it makes so much noise? I can hear the plastic sound when I rotate the cups slightly, I think that's all. Well, you can try to open the headphones, I think this headphones can be easily be taken apart and put them back together, I mean, they do sell the headband and the pads..

HAHAHA what a description for this headphones.

And lucky you man, you managed to get away with a new pair, not bad! And do you realise, at the top of the left ear cup, there's a volume limiter?

Yes, I don't know what it does, when it's to the side it becomes harder to push and distorts. I put some oil and they don't squeak anymore.

Mar 15, 2019 at 11:35 AM Post #39 of 44
Interesting... So is the 1.2k peak the reason why you think the M40X and M50Xs are better than the M60Xs, or are the M60Xs just that bad sounding overall? And do you think the peak could be resolved (or at least become more bearable) with EQ?
From the Rtings charts isn't it more that 100-2500 Hz is a small 3ish dB hump but then there's the 8ish dB drop from that at 400 Hz starting to drop at 200 and lasting to 700 or so which I assume make this person interpret it as a hump later which of course I'd also true but the whole mid range and a bit outside of it is louder except for the dip around 400 Hz which I think the other headphones with same driver has too just that it was worse in these for some reason. Mounting? It's annoying that one is there if it always is but I guess it is.

Mar 27, 2019 at 5:03 PM Post #40 of 44
oh boy, just another M50 variant?
anyone taken a look inside of the cups?

Jul 5, 2019 at 2:17 PM Post #41 of 44
Hey guys, im in the market for some on-ear headphones to use only in the office.
i'm kinda stuck between some models, and the AT-M60X is one of them.
Do you guys develop any sore spots on the headband or ear cups putting too much clamp on-ear ?

Dec 18, 2019 at 4:30 PM Post #42 of 44
Bass is tight, open and transparent but there is a quacky nasal coloration in the upper mid. Vocalists sound like they have a cold.

Aug 6, 2021 at 6:16 PM Post #43 of 44
ATH M60X. I am enjoying these headphones virtually out of the box. The sound signature began to come into focus after an hour of playtime. I listen to a lot of Classic Tracks by the Beatles and others. As well as all kinds of blues and jazz. Electric and Acoustic. I use a couple of sources. High quality streaming from Apple, Spotify, Amazon, and XM Radio. As well as cd listening through my laptop using an Cobalt dac plugged into a Yamaha RPU 100 and a really nice headphone Supreme Amp. Or just direct into an Ipad.
I have a variety of good headphones. Grado, Senns, Sony, Beyers, Audio Tech’s Koss, so I have a good idea what’s available sound reproduction wise in the headphone area. The Ath M60x have a very good detail retrieval ability and just as good an ability to place the instruments in their proper place in the mix of songs. More importantly the ATH M60X allows me to really hear the musician playing their instruments note to note. I am hearing bass notes that Paul plays in Martha My Dear from the White Album as an example, that I never realized were played prior to hearing the song through the ATH M60x. Pretty amazing. I’m not over emphasizing this. It was a revelation from songs I have heard hundreds of times. Very similar to the Grado ability to retrieve details. More realistic. And I thought I knew everything about these songs. Ha. Wrong! I hear lower register notes in songs. Vocals on male singers sound realistic. Drumming was realistic in Carry That Weight by the Beatles. John Lennon singing Across The Universe was mesmerizing. Details abound on John’s tone and breathing. John explaining that his hands were so cold on the rooftop that it was effecting his ability to play chords! I don’t remember picking that up before listening wit the ATH m60x. I wholeheartedly recommend the M60x.

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #44 of 44
Anyone using the limiter? Whats it good for? The manual say it limits the maximum volume when in reality just makes the hp hard to drive I think.

Did not find pics from inside anywhere, so I'll leave this here:

IMG-2330 - Copy.jpg
IMG-2332 - Copy.jpg
IMG-2333 - Copy.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back