Audio Technica ath m50x vs Vmoda m100
Apr 6, 2014 at 3:10 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

Alex--o

Head-Fier
I have been looking for some good headphones in the $150-$250 range. My search as come down to these two headphones.

I listen to rock.

Please recommend one of them or any other good headphones in that price range.

Thanks

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:25 AM Post #3 of 15
M100 is a very good choice if you're a basshead. M50x doesn't sound great for rock because the treble is thin and it's not well balanced with the bass.

I recommend SRH840, but you might have to mod the headband to make it more comfortable. I wouldn't say it's amazing at anything: it's simply a great all rounder. Warm sounding, pretty clear, accurate soundstage, good build quality and isolation.

Apr 6, 2014 at 11:37 AM Post #4 of 15
I think the M50s are a decent buy if you get them for around $100 to $125. There are certainly better headphone choices as you go up from there.

If you provide some more info, we can help you more. Do you need closed headphones, or can you go with open ones? Do you need these for portability? What will you be hooking up your headphones to?

Also, be sure to check out the head-fi buying guide and the Innerfidelity Wall of Fame for descriptions of many of the best headphone values:
http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame (links to different lists at the bottom)

Apr 6, 2014 at 1:34 PM Post #5 of 15
I think the M50s are a decent buy if you get them for around $100 to $125. There are certainly better headphone choices as you go up from there.

If you provide some more info, we can help you more. Do you need closed headphones, or can you go with open ones? Do you need these for portability? What will you be hooking up your headphones to?

Also, be sure to check out the head-fi buying guide and the Innerfidelity Wall of Fame for descriptions of many of the best headphone values:
http://www.head-fi.org/a/headphone-buying-guide
http://www.innerfidelity.com/content/innerfidelitys-wall-fame (links to different lists at the bottom)

+1

Also note that there is a new model ATH-M50x which apparently has slight improvements. 

It will come down to your preferences.  If quantity of bass turns out to be really critical to your listening enjoyment, go with VMODA.  They hit that mark better.  The M50 is going to highlight detail better... but for some listeners this comes across as too bright.  And the M50 goes down into the bass, no problem.  But the VMODA has more bass quantity.

Another point is that the M50 comes with a long cable which is a nuisance if you plan to walk down the street with these.  I have to roll up the cable and stuff it in my coat pocket.

Apr 6, 2014 at 3:04 PM Post #6 of 15
Another point is that the M50 comes with a long cable which is a nuisance if you plan to walk down the street with these.  I have to roll up the cable and stuff it in my coat pocket.

I have the coiled one, which doesn't bother me for portable use. That could be a different option to consider.

Apr 7, 2014 at 11:31 AM Post #9 of 15
The M50 is very durable with the exception of the ear pads which lose their smooth surface over time.
The pads can be easily replaced, but I've never gotten around to it.  
I've beat the heck out of my mine and they stand up very well.

I've heard good things about the Vmoda durability... but never used them long term, so can't say
first hand.

Apr 7, 2014 at 5:49 PM Post #10 of 15
The M50 is very durable with the exception of the ear pads which lose their smooth surface over time.
The pads can be easily replaced, but I've never gotten around to it.  
I've beat the heck out of my mine and they stand up very well.

I've heard good things about the Vmoda durability... but never used them long term, so can't say
first hand.

Do you know if the m50x pads are any better?

Apr 7, 2014 at 6:32 PM Post #11 of 15
One of the common problems with M50 pads is that they become hard over time, which is odd because pads usually get softer. It's probably to early to tell with M50x pads, but it's possible that AT fixed that because according to reliable reports they improved the treble (which was a serious problem for guitar-based rock).

Apr 7, 2014 at 7:01 PM Post #12 of 15
One of the common problems with M50 pads is that they become hard over time, which is odd because pads usually get softer. It's probably to early to tell with M50x pads, but it's possible that AT fixed that because according to reliable reports they improved the treble (which was a serious problem for guitar-based rock).

If i do get the m50x, I will probably get the fabric pads

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:29 PM Post #13 of 15
I heard the m50xs pads significantly improved compared to the m50s.

I am also considering buying one of these headphones. I listen mostly to metal and classical music. If sound is the only aspect taken into account, which one would be better?
Would the v-moda be worth the extra cost? 

Jul 7, 2014 at 10:47 PM Post #14 of 15
I am also considering buying one of these headphones. I listen mostly to metal and classical music. If sound is the only aspect taken into account, which one would be better?

Would the v-moda be worth the extra cost?

Neither would be good choice for those genres because of their trebles. There are much better choices such as SRH840 and also HM5. Best luck!

Jul 7, 2014 at 11:03 PM Post #15 of 15
I have both of these cans right now as part of evaluating several looking for something to purchase.

I really really wanted to like the vmoda m100s. They are elegant, compact, stylish --- all things the m50x are not. But they just don't sound that good. It's not the extra bass---I like that---it's that the mids sound muffled. Everything sounds closed off.

In contrast, the m50x sounds open and clear, yet still with a nice punchy bass. The m50x are not neutral like my 7506s --- they really do produce a more "fun" listening experience. But they don't sacrifice the rest of the range.

For what it's worth, I'm comparing m100 and m50x to the momentums and custom one pros. For my ear, the best sound is between m50x and momentum, with a nod to the sennheisers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back