Audio Technica ATH-M50X thoughts
Jan 3, 2016 at 2:39 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

AudioE

New Head-Fier
Not too long ago I grabbed a pair of the M-50X as a possible replacement for another pair I've designated my travel cans. I may have to spend some more time with them but my first impressions aren't that positive.

Personally I've found too much attenuation on the highs, bass feels lacking and mids are almost "lifeless." Granted others may enjoy this particular soundstage but I'm less than impressed so far. How's everyone that has a pair feeling about them?

Jan 3, 2016 at 2:50 PM Post #2 of 10
I had two at different points and spent weeks listening to nothing but the M50x. I'm not a fan because of its overwhelming bass (far above the green line that planar magnetic headphones—which are nearly universally regarded as having accurate bass quantity—follow) that interferes with other frequencies. Although in the measurements, the mids are where they're supposed to be, they sound recessed because of the bass. If you reduce the lower frequencies with EQ, it sounds much more accurate. If you aren't hearing extremely boosted bass, there must be a problem with your auxiliary equipment. (Either that or you're a basshead.) Without EQ, I like the M30x and M40x more than the M50x, despite the fact that the M50x has higher-fidelity drivers.

Jan 3, 2016 at 3:04 PM Post #3 of 10
I had two at different points and spent weeks listening to nothing but the M50x. I'm not a fan because of its overwhelming bass (far above the green line that planar magnetic headphones—which are nearly universally regarded as having accurate bass quantity—follow) that interferes with other frequencies. Although in the measurements, the mids are where they're supposed to be, they sound recessed because of the bass. If you reduce the lower frequencies with EQ, it sounds much more accurate. If you aren't hearing extremely boosted bass, there must be a problem with your auxiliary equipment. (Either that or you're a basshead.) Without EQ, I like the M30x and M40x more than the M50x, despite the fact that the M50x has higher-fidelity drivers.

I'll definitely do so more testing as far as EQ and equipment goes. What's your overall feeling towards them?

Jan 3, 2016 at 3:21 PM Post #5 of 10
I'll definitely do so more testing as far as EQ and equipment goes. What's your overall feeling towards them?

I thought I already explained my overall feeling towards the M50x. If you want something more specific, please specify.

If you look at the list on my profile of headphones I have owned, I'd rank the M50x somewhere in the middle.

Jan 3, 2016 at 3:30 PM Post #6 of 10
I thought I already explained my overall feeling towards the M50x. If you want something more specific, please specify.

If you look at the list on my profile of headphones I have owned, I'd rank the M50x somewhere in the middle.

Yes I should've probably understood by "you're not a fan bc of.." should've been sufficient in your overall sentiment towards them, my apologies. :)

Jan 6, 2016 at 3:50 PM Post #7 of 10
I own a pair of ATH-M50x's but only keep them since they were a gift. I spent a weekend using a loaner pair of Brainwavz HM5's which are cheaper, better sounding and also far more comfortable. But I like the DT990 as my go to cans for videos and music until I can decide on a better option. My tastes are not as refined as some members here but I would say that the advice here is more accurate and informative than any other website.

Feb 19, 2016 at 4:46 PM Post #8 of 10
Replaced the stock earpads with a set from Brainwavs. Wow what a difference. More comfortable, especially over long time span. Soundstage has changed as well. Feels like the bass has been supressed and the mids come through with greater clarity. It's amazing what a simple switch does.

Mar 9, 2016 at 9:59 AM Post #9 of 10
I have also replaced the earpads with the pleather brainwavz.   Certainly more comfortable but to me the sound was too harsh and needed a great deal of equalization to tone it down.   I was disappointed but determined to make these work.  What I found was that the material covering the drivers was much thinner than stock.  I didn't have any foam available but did have some felt cloth in the house and made oval cut outs to fit inside the lip right against the drivers.  They now sounded dramatically better to me and I figured I would leave them like this until I found some foam.

Now it may be me and my personal preference for the sound, but I can't stop listening to them.  At work, at night before I go to bed, totally addicted.   I use little to no equalization, depending on the source and source material.  If any, I reduce the treble and bass somewhat.  Like I said extremely comfortable, pleather seals well, no loss in bass.  To me the soundstage sounds wider and airier but with the vocals more centered almost like some crossfeed has been introduced, but I know that's not possible.  The sound seams to float in space, especially on well recorded classical music.

My suggestion.  If you have these headphones, get these earpads and fine tune them to your taste.  I'm afraid to touch mine now and screw them up or end up tweeking them to death.

Mar 9, 2016 at 7:49 PM Post #10 of 10
I'm not too crazy into the extreme headphone market, as I'm just beginning to journey there. However, the ATH-M50x was the first audiophile-grade cans I have owned. I liked just about everything about them, and I still use them for daily drivers to and from school.

I will say they aren't perfect. I have two main issues with them.
1. The Mids: Definitely recessed, sucks with rock music as the guitars and parts of the drums are secluded, but the vocals are still strong, so it sounds awkward in the end.
2. Sound Stage: These headphones do have a decent sound stage, emphasis on decent. You can tell where things are, but its very jumbled and blurry (if blurry can be applied to sound). Instruments are not very spread and seems... just bland, nothing really pops. This could be a side effect of the recessed Mids, but I'm unsure.

However, in their defense they are damn reliable. I've taken them to hell and back, and they've taken just about all of it. A few examples:
-Some jackass dropped his Monster Energy drink at school and it got all over them. No issues
-Multiple rain showers, snow. No issues
-Thrown around a few times in harsh conditions. No issues
-Headband bent backwards quite often. No issues

Basically, the Nokia 3310 of Audiophile headphones

Users who are viewing this thread

Back