Audio-Technica ATH-M50???
Nov 24, 2009 at 12:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

kebbin15

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys it's me again. I'm thinking of buying this cans for a long time. I read some reviews and all of them had a good impression about the sound production of this cans. I also like to have the SOny MDR-XB500 wich is Extra Bass headphones. Should I get the ATH-M50 or XB500. Btw i'm just new to headphones so i need some advice from you guys.. I Hope you guys can help me about this. Thanks and more power!
darthsmile.gif

Do I need amp on ATH-M50?????

Nov 24, 2009 at 12:27 AM Post #2 of 26
[size=xx-large]HOPEFULLY[/size] I am speaking for everyone at Headfi...

The ATH-M50. I can guarantee you it's better than the XB500.

Btw, what is your price range for headphones?

And what equipment do use, what are you using it for, and what music do you listen to?

EDIT: looking around the forum, I see you have already posted something about headphones. Don't 2x post; just annoying.

Nov 24, 2009 at 1:02 AM Post #3 of 26
Hi thanks for the fast reply.. My price range is below $150. I'm not gonna use an amp on
it, just my laptop. I love listening to bass songs like Hip hop and Techno. The thing i like
about the XB500 is the large cushions and i'm not sure about the sound quality coz' I think best buy provides poor sound output. IMO. which is disappointing. Can you describe the sound quality between the two?

Btw, i'm sorry for the double post.

Nov 24, 2009 at 4:06 AM Post #4 of 26
The ATH m50 is a good set of cans. Good sound quality, isolation and balance. For $100 or less it is a great deal. It comes in two cable versions.
Strongly suggest you search for reviews and read what others think.
I didn't care much for the XB500 fat bass and muddled mid range.

Nov 24, 2009 at 2:30 PM Post #6 of 26
I've had the ATH M50s for a few months and been using them on a daily basis. I can't say that I listen to alot of techno/trance but the little I do have they do well. They have a good amount of bass but if your a "bass head" I'd say look elsewhere. Just for reference my heavy bass phones would be the Ultrasone Pro900.

Cheers

Peter

Nov 24, 2009 at 2:35 PM Post #7 of 26
The M50's are one of the most accurate and neutral headphones I have every owned, and it's the only headphone in my collection that can reproduce the chest-thumping lower oomph of my $7,000 Klein + Hummel O 300D's (though it's reproduced in the head, not in the chest). I highly recommend it if you care about neutral accurate sound. I'm not a fan of pleather earcups though, but some people don't mind them. The soundstage of the M50 is also smaller than the really lush headphones like the Sennheiser HD6XX/HD5XX series.

Nov 24, 2009 at 7:27 PM Post #8 of 26
If you only had the choice between the XB500 or the M50, the Audio-Technica is the better choice.

I've had the chance to try both (I actually own the M50) and the difference between them is night and day.

The Sony's are comfortable; it's like wearing a pillow between your ears. Though, I might as well describe the sound in a similar fashion... it's like having your sound muffled by those pillows. The XB500 (might as well add most of the XB#### series) produce poor sound. Hearing these headphones is like dipping your head underwater and trying to listen to the radio, it's restricted and muddy. Not to mention that these "bass enhanced headphones" don't even produce that much of a great sounding bass.

The Audio-Technica's, on the other hand, offer a very crisp and clear sound, not to mention a pretty deep sounding bass. However, nothing is overly exaggerated with these headphones, which might turn you off since you like listening to bass heavy tunes. But I can assure you, my Trance/Progressive mixes have never sounded any better.

However, if you really love your bass, I'd recommend looking for other cans. Most notably DT770 or some of the Ultrasones. Don't forget to add an amp!

Hope that helps!

Nov 24, 2009 at 8:34 PM Post #9 of 26
Thanks guys for the replies...

Finally! I'm going to buy my M50 on Christmas! Thanks all for the VERY GOOD advice. After this, I will start saving money to buy Beyerdynamic DT880 which I heard it has an impressive bass. and also an iBasso D10 Cobra amp!

Nov 24, 2009 at 8:58 PM Post #11 of 26
The M50 does not require any amping due to their low impedence (32 ohms if I remember), meaning it can be driven pretty easily by most MP3 players and Laptops.

However, like most headphones, it does help to have an amp.
Even the most wimpiest amplifier can help boost the sound quality of the M50.
Heck, plugging these cans inside a cheap fiio E3 amp makes a noticable difference, especially in the bass department.

Nov 24, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #13 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by kebbin15 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Do i need amp on my M50????

No, in sound level (it has 38-ohm impedance & low 99dB sensitivity). SQ wise, I recommend it. It really helps.

Nuforce Icon Mobile, AirHead, and Bithead to name VERY few.

Don't buy the E3/5; Trust me, you'll want a better amp later.

Nov 25, 2009 at 3:29 AM Post #14 of 26
Will this be a good upgrade to ath-sj5 or any other AT can around 100$.I really liked its sound signature..anyone?

Nov 25, 2009 at 4:15 AM Post #15 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by asrphani /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Will this be a good upgrade to ath-sj5 or any other AT can around 100$.I really liked its sound signature..anyone?

Probably? I don't really know; the SJ5 aren't too popular here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back