Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs Ultrasone HFi-780?
Feb 4, 2012 at 12:46 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

robertericjr

New Head-Fier
 I'm looking to get a nice set of headphones to replace my simple Apple headphones. I'm looking for something that has pretty great isolation, since I've been told noise-cancelling isn't worth it. I listen to a variety of music - which varies from dubstep to artists like Fleet Floxes or Florence + the Machine to Instrumental soundtracks. I listen to instrumental soundtracks a lot when I study in the library, so I'd need something that has decent isolation when playing that type of music. I would enjoy great bass response, but really all around great sound - highs, mids and lows.

I've narrowed my selections between these two, the M50 and the HFi-780.

Can anyone provide a good recommendation for what might suit me?

Thanks!

Feb 4, 2012 at 1:28 PM Post #2 of 11
I'd go HFI-780. The bass is better but still doesn't interfere with the mids and highs, and it's a bit better all-round than the M50.

Feb 4, 2012 at 3:11 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
The HFi 780 doesn't require an amp to make it sounds its best does it?

I use mine without a dedicated amplifier out of my sony nwz-a730 and it sounds great. Never listened to the m50s but the ultrasones have good bass impact and GREAT extension and IMHO the treble is a strong point. People will tell you that the highs are painful to listen to and while I did notice this right out of the box, I've either gotten used to it or they've burnt in and have gotten a lot better... sparkling I would say. A weak point for me is the instrument separation. It does well with electronica bands that don't have too much going on but when you get into some alt rock bands and classical music, sometimes its not tight or fast enough to keep up with the cymbals (for example) and the mids/highs tend to mush together. It's not hugely noticeable, but I think I've noticed a bit more lately. 
Overall very happy with them for the $160ish? I paid for them.

Feb 4, 2012 at 7:43 PM Post #6 of 11
I had the same question a few weeks ago and ended up buying both.... Honestly they are pretty close... But the Ultrasone has just a slight bit less bass and better quality, whereas the M50 has more and is slightly boomier... The soundstage of the Ultrasone is also slightly better, the M50 is very closed in.... The M50 are definitely more comfortable, the pads are softer and less clamping force.

Feb 4, 2012 at 9:38 PM Post #7 of 11

Quote:
I had the same question a few weeks ago and ended up buying both.... Honestly they are pretty close... But the Ultrasone has just a slight bit less bass and better quality, whereas the M50 has more and is slightly boomier... The soundstage of the Ultrasone is also slightly better, the M50 is very closed in.... The M50 are definitely more comfortable, the pads are softer and less clamping force.

How long have you burnt them in? The HFI-780 is much bassier than the M50 from my experience.

Feb 5, 2012 at 10:12 AM Post #9 of 11
I had burnt both in for 100 + hours with a headphone splitter

Feb 5, 2012 at 2:59 PM Post #10 of 11

Quote:
I had burnt both in for 100 + hours with a headphone splitter

Hmm. That's quite odd. From your previous post I assume it was a white-box M50? If it was blue-box I can see it seeming bassier, but the white-box is completely outmatched in the bass department to me by the HFI-780.

Feb 5, 2012 at 9:22 PM Post #11 of 11
i got the limited editions, which is supposed to be the same as the white box??  I think S Logic on the ultrasones somehow messes with the soundstage, and makes the bass sound more distant or light... Whereas the M50 sounds a little direct, good impact, slightly loose and boomy... I like the Ultrasones a little bit more

Users who are viewing this thread

Back