Audio-Technica: ATH-M50 vs Ultrasone: HFI-580
Nov 22, 2008 at 7:52 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

MentalEclipse

Head-Fier
I'm looking to buy a new pair of closed headphones for portable use around $100-$250. After some research, these two cans look like they would fit my needs really well. The big factor in my decision is the overall SQ, but comfort, build quality and portability are also big issues.

I currently own a pair of "Equation Audio: RP-21's" that are fairly neutral studio headphones. I've decided that I'd like a more "lively" and "fun" sound if possible for this purchase, though I still really enjoy the overall sound of the RP-21's. I know that the "ATH-M50" will probably have a more neutral sound than the "HFI-580", but I'm not really sure how the SQ differs between these two. I've never used a pair of Ultrasone headphones, and I've read that they are somewhat unique in their sound.

I'm planning on using this pair with a "Zune 80" primarily, along with a "Headstage Lyrix Pro" Amp on occasion. I like the Lyrix amp a lot, but I’ve never heard much difference in SQ when paired with my RP-21s. I'm also curious to hear how these two pairs of headphones will sound when amped with my Lyrix Pro.

I primarily listen to Electronic music, though I also like Classical and some rock. I do enjoy strong deep bass, so that is a very big factor for deciding which pair to purchase.

I'd really appreciate any help that anyone may have. If I should be considering another headphone in my list, I'd really appreciate any other recommendations. So far I've researched the "M-Audio Q40", "Audio Technica: ES7", "Sennheiser: Dt250" & "Denon AH-D1001K's".

Nov 22, 2008 at 10:43 PM Post #2 of 15
Sorry to bump this, but I could really use some suggestions before making my purchasing decision. I'd really appreciate any suggestions or recommendations.

Has anyone done a comparison between the RP-21s and the HFI-580s (or any HFI Ultrasones)?

Nov 23, 2008 at 12:11 AM Post #3 of 15
1.HFI-550 very strong and fun sound, but emphasized bass. HFI-580, like 550s + S-Logic plus.
2.You can try the PRO/PL650 or the HFI-680. Are more like the studio cans.

The best to do, is to try the Ultrasone experience...

beerchug.gif

Nov 23, 2008 at 12:21 AM Post #5 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by john5220 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
in terms of bass you think the M50 has more than the 580?

If the answer is yes I will feel like a King.

My experience is with the 550s...regarding your question, I don't think so. The M50 has nice bass and more balance with the FR. The HFI 550/DJ1 have a real punchy, heavy bass. Maybe the strongest bass in this price range.

Today I consider them as basshead headphones. They're great for DJing, listening to music...but for studio applications, maybe I'd go with the M50. I hope this helps.

Maybe you can still feel like a king with the M50s. They're very nice headphones...at least you can feel like a prince.
wink.gif

Nov 23, 2008 at 1:31 AM Post #6 of 15
Thanks a lot Acix,

Since I already have RP-21's for studio mixing, I'm not looking for a completely neutral sound with this next purchase. Do you think the HFI-580's (or HFI-550) would provide a deeper & more lively sound than the ATH-M50's?

Both of these phones seem to be impressing me more and more as I read about them. I'm a bit of a basshead too, so I have a feeling I'll enjoy the bass on these phones.

BTW: Is it possible to replace the original earpads on these headphones with something like beyerdynamic leather pads?

Nov 28, 2008 at 4:30 AM Post #7 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by Acix /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My experience is with the 550s...regarding your question, I don't think so. The M50 has nice bass and more balance with the FR. The HFI 550/DJ1 have a real punchy, heavy bass. Maybe the strongest bass in this price range.

Today I consider them as basshead headphones. They're great for DJing, listening to music...but for studio applications, maybe I'd go with the M50. I hope this helps.

Maybe you can still feel like a king with the M50s. They're very nice headphones...at least you can feel like a prince.
wink.gif

hmm lol yeah I guess since the M50 is less cash it would have less bass. lol

Hey how would you compare the punchyness and heavyness of the bass of the M50 to the HD555 and Sony V6 and Senn HD 280 PRO?

Dec 18, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #9 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by john5220 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hey how would you compare the punchyness and heavyness of the bass of the M50 to the HD555 and Sony V6 and Senn HD 280 PRO?

Quote:

Originally Posted by effectic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i am also interested in this answer.

I've owned the HD555 and HD280, and FWIR, the bass of the M50 would blow away this competition, especially if amped.

Dec 18, 2008 at 9:08 PM Post #10 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've owned the HD555 and HD280, and FWIR, the bass of the M50 would blow away this competition, especially if amped.

Nice I am considering the Ultrasone 780 hifi would the ultrasone blow away the M50 when it comes to bass?

Also I have had the pleasure of sampeling the M50 and while the bass is magnificent I do not like its flat studio sound. Maby its just me and monitors who knows.

But I would prefer something with soundstage and acoustics and stuff like the HD555 but with bass like the M50 or even more bass.

I see the 780 was designed for movies and so was the HD555 so would it be safe to say the 780 should be a god replacement for the 555 while at the same time avoiding the flat boring sounds of studio monitors?

Dec 18, 2008 at 9:26 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Nice I am considering the Ultrasone 780 hifi would the ultrasone blow away the M50 when it comes to bass?

Also I have had the pleasure of sampeling the M50 and while the bass is magnificent I do not like its flat studio sound. Maby its just me and monitors who knows.

But I would prefer something with soundstage and acoustics and stuff like the HD555 but with bass like the M50 or even more bass.

I see the 780 was designed for movies and so was the HD555 so would it be safe to say the 780 should be a god replacement for the 555 while at the same time avoiding the flat boring sounds of studio monitors?

Yes, FWIR, I agree with what you've said here. The HFI-780 and some of the other Ultrasones probably would have a more bumped up bass than the M50. Of course there is more to it than this in determining one's preference. For example, I prefer a strong bass presence, for the headphones to really bump, and to have a sound stage for music and movies. However, I place at least as high a priority on realistic sounding vocals and over all sound signature. And that's where an Ultrasone has let me down; it's a matter of preference.

Dec 18, 2008 at 9:37 PM Post #12 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1Time /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Yes, FWIR, I agree with what you've said here. The HFI-780 and some of the other Ultrasones probably would have a more bumped up bass than the M50. Of course there is more to it than this in determining one's preference. For example, I prefer a strong bass presence, for the headphones to really bump, and to have a sound stage for music and movies. However, I place at least as high a priority on realistic sounding vocals and over all sound signature. And that's where an Ultrasone has let me down; it's a matter of preference.

Hey would you believe I actually do not like the realistic sounding vocals.
The reason I am trying to avoid all studio monitors was exactly that reason.

I love the sound of loud speakers and its soundstage. I honestly do not like how something sounds exactly as it was recorded. I like it to sound more musical and enjoyable with bigger sound stage.

So basically even if you may like it sounding realistic I prefer it sounding with more acoustics and soundstage like the HD555.
I like how surround sound does sound.

I like to be immersed with sound all around and thats where the S logic caught my eyes. If I could have some assurance the hifi 780 sounds more like a Hd555 or a Denon D2000 or open loud speaker than a studio monitor headphone them I am basically sold.

I heard the D2000 was better for me and I would have loved them more but sadly that is out of my price range and I do not know where I will get them for $200.

Amazon has the hifi 780 for $200 and this will be my last purchase as I have no one left to sell my headphone to. So this final purchase I will be stuck with what I have for life due to my location internationally.

So I have to make these count. So far on my list are Beyer Dt 770, D2000 denons and the Ultrasone HiFi 780.

I need to make a decision.

Dec 18, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #13 of 15
Quote:

So I have to make these count. So far on my list are Beyer Dt 770, D2000 denons and the Ultrasone HiFi 780.

I need to make a decision.

You need to start your own thread. Be sure to include everything you posted here, the source your using, bass and sound stage requirements, and total budget for headphones + amp.

Dec 18, 2008 at 11:48 PM Post #14 of 15
i have the hfi580 ive only had about 20 hours of burn in so far (you need to burn in ultrasones for along time), my observation so far is that it has boosted hi mids and treble which make it significantly louder than my lower impedence pro-750's. the sound is good, its not neutral but its kind of what i would adjust the eq to on my more neutral headphones anyway. it is more musical and fun to listen to than neutral headphones, it has that ultrasone sound and anything in the high mid (guitars, guitar solos, synthesisers, female vocals) really show up well (although it can be a little fatuging listening for hours ) and other than the boosted treble and high mids and smaller soundstage theres not a massive difference in the sound quality between the 580 and the pro-750. bass hasnt stuck me as being too big or too little. the sound stage isnt as big as other headphones i have but its not too bad either. i also have the bayer 150 (which should be somewhat similar to the dt-250 u were considering) and its flatter but not as clear or upfront as the 580 espically for high mids, as u say you wanted a more fun phone and for the stuff you listen to id say the 580s are better than the bayers. considering the price i like the 580, im thinking it would be good for using on portable players unamped or anything you didnt want to bother eq'ing.

Dec 21, 2008 at 12:37 AM Post #15 of 15
I like the idea you saying its not flat so hence its more musical and fun.

However that scares me is how it has boosted mids and highs I have had bad experience with the M50 they were far to bright and was indeed fatiguing after only a few minutes. I am very certain I did not turn the volume all that high and they certainly left me with a feeling of pain.

I am interested in perhaps a more laid back smooth darker tone. One that can make you fall asleep perhaps?

I was told the D2000 is exactly like this?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back