Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs. Sony MDR-V6
Apr 27, 2012 at 9:42 PM Post #17 of 26

Quote:

OP has the Sony and does not have the AT.

Yes, I know. 
Just was mentioning that if wants to move to the M50 or 840, those two
are somewhat of a sideways move between them - I slightly favor the
sound of the 840 over the M50, but I like the comfort and build quality
of the M50 over the 840.

Apr 28, 2012 at 12:56 PM Post #18 of 26
Hmm. So Brainwavz HM5 or Audio Technica ATH-M50? 
cool.gif

Apr 28, 2012 at 2:25 PM Post #19 of 26

Quote:
Hmm. So Brainwavz HM5 or Audio Technica ATH-M50? 
cool.gif

They're very different in terms of the way they sound.  You probably should decide which sound signature you like best.  The HM5 is neutral.  The M50 has a "V" shaped EQ. 

Other factors: the HM5 comes with a case and a many goodies; the M50 is smaller and folds up.

Apr 28, 2012 at 3:31 PM Post #20 of 26
Well since I have the MDRV6, which has a V shaped EQ, I should go and try one that is neutral right? And those overpriced cans like the Beats.. Are they V shaped or neutral? Sorry for all the questions.. I haven't got the slightest clue in audio terminology. :p

Apr 28, 2012 at 8:13 PM Post #21 of 26

Well, This is a comparison between the Beats and the DT990s. The 990s are a lot more even and neutral than the beats. The beats have a  large bass hump and roll off in the highs. Just thought you might wanna see this, OP.

Apr 29, 2012 at 8:17 AM Post #23 of 26
The more expensive the headphones become, the smaller the difference will become between headphones of certain price ranges. Neutral comes in different flavours...

You should, before playing with headphones actually build yourself a decent audio set up as a reference. The headphone is the last component in the audio system (if you count yourself out as external feedback).

Jun 16, 2013 at 5:22 AM Post #24 of 26
I'm really getting a kick out of my Sony V-6/Fiio E09K combo!  The sound signature reminds me of my buddy's rig from the late 70's/early 80's.  He had a Stax 12S Ear Speaker Integrated-Amp using it as a Pre-Amp driving a Mitsubishi power amp, with a 100 watts per side into a pair of B&W DM-7's. The Sony V-6's remind me also of the B&W 801's...I remember his rig being bright with not a lot of bass extension but a lot of Mid-Bass slam and detail in the highs!

I like Bright sound as my hearing in the Hi-Frequency's is not what it used to be (as I'm in my 50's now) and love DETAIL! I don't like extreme V-Curve to a fault, but I do like 2Khz-etc to be dipped a bit to bring out the High's details.  I use a really great parametric EQ from the Apple App. Store that I highly recommend (Equalizer (Parametric) Audioforge Labs Inc.) I have tried a lot of the others and hands down this one is GREAT!

Aug 19, 2014 at 9:17 PM Post #25 of 26

Hello guys, I already own a pair of the Sony MDR-V6's and I'm wondering if I should buy the Audio Technica ATH-M50s. I've seen many posts and they usually end diverting into a series of different headphones, but I'm determined to know the differences, the similarities, if there are noticeable sound differences, and if it's worth investing into. Thanks!

I am using the ATH m50 Reds right now, and I'm actually wondering if I should by the sony mdr v6's. One thing I can say is that the Sony's definitely have a bigger frequency response. This is all from memory, and correct me if Im wrong. The frequency response of the Sony's is from 5hz-30khz. In my opinion that's the most impressive frequency response I've seen under 150 bucks. Also, I think that the Sony's impedance is 63 ohm, whereas the ATH m50s are around 37.5. The cable on the Ath claims to stretch about 11 feet. I haven't measured it, but it does seem to cover a good distance. Im using the coiled cable. The v6's have a 3 meter cable. Both have the 1/4" adapters. the v6s have nickel plated jack, where the 7506's had gold. the m50s have gold.

I would like to know how these sound as well. For me the m50s are good for just about everything. They're pretty much my go to headphones. But the Sony's have been around for a long time and I am very interested in how they sound. Bass feels good enough on the AT's, mids seem recessed (I put the equalizer on jazz on my itouch to bring them out more) The At's aren't tuned perfectly flat, but they're great for around the same price as the Sony's.

Feb 17, 2015 at 3:52 AM Post #26 of 26
As someone who has heard both let me say this. I heard the ath-m50x which is supposed to be better than the m50 and I returned it the day I got it. When I plugged them in all my ears heard was the V shaped signature. Bass and treble, no mids. I was greatly disappointed as on first listen my thought was, wait.. i paid ~$169 for a headphone that sounds like your everyday $20 v shaped headphone?? No way.. I then set off on a quest to find the best flat freq response headphones that dont cost an arm and leg and went and blind bought the mdr-v6. On first listen my impression was wow - I loved them.. compared to my superfi 5 pros these def have less warmth but thats exactly how the music is supposed to sound. Looking at the freq response of the superfis, the superfis are way boosted in the bass department nearly by about 10db so that def explains why I would think the v6s are more clinical/neutral/cold. However the detail the mdr-v6s put out is crazzzy. You hear so many little things in music that you wouldnt ever hear on any other headphone. These are the headphones that introduced what detail means to me. Also these guys can put out bass. The superfi5s can put out bass and so can these guys when called to. The downside to these headphones are def that they are slightly treble boosted. If they didnt have a +3-5db boost in the 9khz region these would be ruler flat. Regardless though I bought these headphones ~$55 on amazon so No if you are expecting these to be a $1000 ruler flat headphone they are not. If you want them ruler flat just eq the treble down a bit if you can. Regardless of that I think the value with these cans is insane. Though the treble boost is a slight issue the great thing is that I think you eventually get accustomed to the sound so even that isnt a huge issue. I only notice the treble when comparing to some other ruler flat speakers I have :). Comfort wise these headphones are light and they dont make my ears warm after listening to them for a long time. Assuming neutral sound is your taste these are the best headphones under $100 imo. Even under $200. To step up from these I think you would have to go sennheiser hd600 and then thats it you reached the top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back