Audio Technica ATH - M50 vs Sennheiser HD558
Nov 4, 2013 at 4:11 PM Post #2 of 8
  Hi - I'm looking for headphones around the price range of the M50s and 558s, and I've narrowed down my choices to those two. I just wanted to know which ones would be the better pick for me.
Used for - 
Music - My tastes are quite eclectic , but I will mostly be listening to animal collective etc. Note that this is only for home use, they will not be used on the go.
Occasional gaming - Don't really care for SQ here
Movies - Again, SQ isn't an issue here.
M50 pros ( for me )
-Closed - won't leak sound in or out (this is quite important to me, but if the 558s are significantly better I might reconsider)
-Build quality - most reviews point out the poor build of the 558s
-Bass - most reviews state that the 558s are lacking in bass
-Cheaper
HD 558s
-Soundstage? (I don't really know what this is)
-Comfort
-Many reviews state their superior sound quality

I would rather have the HD558s, over the ATH-M50 (others my choose different).
The ATH-M50s are bassy music headphones, mids can be overshadowed by the bass.
I would not say the HD558s have a poor build quality, they use to have cracking problems, but I believe that was a few years back.
I doubt the HD558s could be any tougher, for the given weight of the headphones.
The HD558s do not lack bass (the ATH-AD700 do), but the HD558s would not have enough for a real bass head.
I have headphones that are bassier then the HD558, but when I wear the HD558, I do not feel like I'm missing something.
I do prefer my DT990 600-Ohm for action movies (movie theater like sound).
Sound stage I guess makes you feel like you know were the instruments were placed when the music was made.
There is also surround sound, for movies and gaming, which the HD558 should be better at.
To me the comfort is fine with the HD558, I'm wearing them right now.

Nov 4, 2013 at 11:51 PM Post #4 of 8
  Since you own the 558s, what is the sound leaking situation like? And are you using these headphones with a DAC or amp?

They leak sound, maybe not enough for someone behind a wall to hear, or thick door, but they leak.
Might not even be enough to bother someone in the same room.

Nov 4, 2013 at 11:58 PM Post #5 of 8
I think that the M50 is really a bit overrated where people state that they are the BEST headphone in their price range. IMO they are quite average in the $150 range and would be better if they are around $120-$100. 

Nov 5, 2013 at 1:04 AM Post #6 of 8
Senns
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back