Audio-Technica ATH-M50 vs Denon AH D1001 vs Creative Aurvana Live
Mar 22, 2009 at 6:26 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 17

boucarion

New Head-Fier
I got some Sennheiser HD435s for 100 CAD yesterday, but I don't feel my money was well spent O.o

That and the open back thing may be a problem for me when I'm not using my headphones at home.

I'm planning to return these sometime during the week and picking up one of the three headphones listed above.

You are free to suggest other headphones, but make sure they are under 150 and closed.

ALSO, I'm new to this whole amp business. I usually just plug my headphones into my Bose Companion II's and it sounds great. What is a portable amp, is it effective, and where could I get one?

May 21, 2010 at 6:07 PM Post #3 of 17
Also interested in this topic. Pretty much have the same question as op, especially in regards to price and being closed.

Also, where I live, through amazon, there's almost a $50 price difference between the CAL and the Denons. So, are they remarkably better?

May 21, 2010 at 6:23 PM Post #4 of 17
Nope, the CAL! is essentially the same as the Denons apart from the brandname. Go for the CAL! if you can't get the Denons for the same price.
Also try the HD448, Sony V6 and Shure SRH440.

May 21, 2010 at 7:57 PM Post #5 of 17
Get the M50 (I can't believe I've been saying this lately) Don't worry about portable amps for now, you'll save some money down the line too :p

May 23, 2010 at 3:55 AM Post #8 of 17

Quote:
Because its totally the FOTM headphone :p

Hi ,
First , when talking about consuming music for pleasure , I don't think there is something wrong with something being FOTM . If you enjoy it , then it's doing what it's suppose to do .
Second , It might be that the M50 happens to be a good product for any given reason , just like many other products that are staying with us long after they where regarded as FOTM , like Portapros , or in other fields , Photoshop , KitchenAid mixers , or Wonderbread . 
And yes , I just bought a pair of M50's !

May 23, 2010 at 10:05 AM Post #9 of 17
How can a two year old headphone be FOTM? It has been popular for a while, but the current price is what makes it so attractive.

May 23, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #10 of 17
I'm considering something like the CAL! or JVC HAS700 as long as they are pretty small for a circumaural phone as well as being comfy. Small being a huge factor. I originally wanted ES7s until I found that they are on ear.

I had the M50s (loved them a BUNCH), but they are too big for what I needed them for).

May 23, 2010 at 10:29 AM Post #12 of 17
The M50s are killer. Only those who actually owned them know WHY they are so heavily favored by many. They are just that damn impressive for the price. They're so well rounded, fun, and just a no-brainer for those looking to get into the audiophile world. They are just as good as my DT770, with a smaller soundstage. I couldn't care less about soundstage for music, though I want soundstage for gaming, which is why I prefer the DT770 Pro 80s.

May 23, 2010 at 10:31 AM Post #13 of 17
No, they aren't. 

..I'm just telling myself this to avoid buying a pair. 

May 23, 2010 at 11:01 AM Post #15 of 17

Quote:
The M50s are killer. Only those who actually owned them know WHY they are so heavily favored by many. They are just that damn impressive for the price. They're so well rounded, fun, and just a no-brainer for those looking to get into the audiophile world. They are just as good as my DT770, with a smaller soundstage. I couldn't care less about soundstage for music, though I want soundstage for gaming, which is why I prefer the DT770 Pro 80s.

x2

Users who are viewing this thread

Back