Audio Technica ATH-M50 vs AKG K550 vs Sennheiser HD 25-1 ii
Aug 31, 2012 at 2:28 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

BabySealClubber

New Head-Fier
Hi, after a good amount of research, I am torn between whether to buy the Audio Technica ATH-M50s, AKG K550s, or Sennheiser HD 25-1 ii. I will be listening to music through my 4th genereation ipod and listen to mainly rock, electronic/ dubstep, and rap/hip hop. I also will purchase a relatively inexpensive portable headphone amp such as the headroom total airhead. I will be using these headphones for portable use.

Thank you!

Sep 26, 2012 at 2:02 AM Post #3 of 22
Question: When you say 4th gen ipod, is that the 4th gen ipod classic, or the ipod touch?

I have the AKG550 and I really like them, but I my ipod (touch, 3rd gen) did not have enough juice to power them. Running them through the Fiio E17 they sounded MUCH better. I demoed the ATH-50 and it sounded all right with an un-amped iPod.

I want to say that you'll definitely want to add an amp to the iPod for the AKG550.
You may be all right with the other two.... though I haven't tried the HD25-1 ii.
I really like the sound of the AKG550 with my HiSound Rocco P/Fiio E17. But I do not really consider the AKG550 to be much of a "on the go" headphone.... I use it at work.

I'd consider the other two as better choices if you are traveling with them.
The HD25-1 ii are supposedly amazing in terms of durability. =)

At this point you have probably already made a purchase. I hope you're happy with it. ^^

Sep 26, 2012 at 7:28 AM Post #4 of 22
Not that I've listened to any of the headphones you've mentioned, for portability I would go with the sens
From what I've read the isolate miles more than the other two and are small headphones which is good for portability

I would secondly go for the M50s due to the music you listen to

Sep 30, 2012 at 1:58 PM Post #5 of 22
I have a 4th gen ipod touch. Would listening to the m-50s with my ipod through an amp make a noticable difference from listening withought an amp?  Thank you both for the advice and sorry for such a late response.

Sep 30, 2012 at 11:22 PM Post #7 of 22
I have a 4th gen ipod touch. Would listening to the m-50s with my ipod through an amp make a noticable difference from listening withought an amp?

The M-50s are very easy to drive, and will work great directly from your ipod with no amp.

Oct 2, 2012 at 6:06 PM Post #9 of 22
in your case, i think K550 doesn't suit your taste of music.
as for M50 and HD25, i will prefer M50 for its easy-to-drive and over-ear comfort.

Oct 2, 2012 at 9:50 PM Post #11 of 22
Portable use, you can't beat the HD25-1 II, and they sound amazing for such a light-weight, rugged, and isolating headphone. Coming from my iPhone, they need a little extra juice to get them where I want, but the Total Airhead should work just fine for you.

Oct 2, 2012 at 10:28 PM Post #12 of 22
The M50s have about the same quantity of bass as the HD25s except the HDs have a little more impact.
Both headphones are great but for your genres, I would also consider the V-MODA M-80. Big sound for a portable on ear.

The reason I recommend those is because for hip hop and electronica, I find both the HD25 and the M50 a little too hot in the treble. The M-80s have a more neutral, less fatiguing treble while having plenty of detail, good bass and mids, with good soundstage for such a small can. Defintely worth considering as they're a great all-rounder.

Oct 2, 2012 at 10:33 PM Post #13 of 22
M50's are too bassy for rock and fast music genres. What about the HFI-580? 

I disagree. Listening to the M50s right now and I find them just fine with all genres. One of the more natural-sounding cans out there. Their only caveats are they're not exactly balanced across the spectrum due to a bit of treble emphasis.

Oct 2, 2012 at 10:36 PM Post #14 of 22
Quote:
The M50s have about the same quantity of bass as the HD25s except the HDs have a little more impact.
Both headphones are great but for your genres, I would also consider the V-MODA M-80. Big sound for a portable on ear.

I felt that the M50's had more bass than the HD-25's. The sennheisers have just the right amount, tight and accurate. 

Equing/burn in helps on taming down the treble. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back