Audio-Technica ATH-M50 v Dennon AH-D1100 (Currently have no Amp)
Nov 23, 2013 at 1:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

JamesDa

New Head-Fier
I have been looking at reviews for headphones (including on this site) and I think I have narrowed it down to these 2.

I mainly listen to rock and lighter instrumental pieces for studying and such.  I wanted to get an over the ear headphone with good sound quality and comfort with mobility a bit of an afterthought.

I currently don't have an Amp but unless I am mistaken I could get one on the cheap side for 30-40$

I could either pair for approximately 120-140$ on Amazon so the price isn't a big deal between the two but what are your recommendations?

Thanks a lot in advance!

Nov 23, 2013 at 3:15 PM Post #2 of 5
James, I currently own the AH-D1100 and a coworker of mine just purchased the M50s. I can tell you from my experience the D1100 are great headphones for certain genres. In terms of rock and instrumentals, I would suggest the M50. When I first received my Denons, I was thoroughly convinced something was wrong with my ears. It took me a good two weeks of listening to music every day to get over the initial fatigue of pronounced lows and recessed mids (really recessed). I had to do a lot of EQ work to bring the mids and treble out. Someone on here had a good EQ setting that I used, and it worked well. That being said, I've owned them for about 7 months now, and I don't need to EQ them anymore. My ears have gotten used to them, and I love the things. After listening to my coworkers un-EQ'd M50s, I can say for sure they would be better suited for your musical tastes. On top of that, I have treated my D1100s meticulously since I got them, and they've developed several cracks around the plastic arms / fixtures. This is a common problem, as they're not built very well. My personal suggestion would be... only go with the D1100s if you're a basshead, and don't mind equalizing and poor build quality. 

Nov 23, 2013 at 9:47 PM Post #3 of 5
Thanks dub Beatz,

I've heard of the cracking issue with the Dennon, and your review definitely pushed me over the edge.  

I hear that the Audio-Technica plays a lot better with an amp so I'll do a little research. 

Nov 24, 2013 at 1:10 AM Post #4 of 5
No problem man. I'm about to get mine replaced and sell em. I'm trying to find something with a similar sound signature but a little more portable, and possibly cheaper. I was really disappointed with how easily they cracked, especially because I've never dropped them, stretched them, or did anything that would cause enough stress on the plastic for it to crack.

Nov 25, 2013 at 4:58 AM Post #5 of 5
I actually own the M50s, and i can say that they sound great even without an amp. However, i use them with my FiiO E07k, and they sound fantastic. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back