Audio technica ATH-M50 uncomfortable
Nov 11, 2011 at 3:17 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

ytisawfulnow

100+ Head-Fier
So i have been anticipating the arrival of my M50s for a long time and they sound great even before burn in (for me)
I just have one issue though. They're uncomfortable, like really umcomfortable. I don't know if it's just over ear headphones or these but these seem to feel really uncomfortable under my ears at the bottom of the pads, i've never owned over the ear headphones before so it might just be all over ear headphones are like that but is there a way i can make them less comfortable?... somehow
triportsad.gif

Nov 11, 2011 at 3:46 AM Post #2 of 4
They will get softer with time. Grease and sweat will make the pads softer.

However not all headphones is comfortable for everyone. Some models is better for people with large ears/heads and some for small ears/heads.

Nov 11, 2011 at 9:25 AM Post #3 of 4
They will definitely not get softer over time.  Grease and sweat will turn them into bricks and eventually they'll crack-- the padding on the M50s are not that good.

The M50s aren't true over-the-ear either.  They're more like on-ears that also go behind your ear; the opening in the ear pads isn't that big.  Combine that with a high clamping force, it causes for lots of sweat build-up in a short amount of time.

Now why would you want to make them less comfortable than they already are?  :p

Probably the first thing you can try to make them more comfortable is to stretch them out to loosen their grip, but I think the best solution is to just find an alternate headphone around the same price range with same sonic signature, but has much better comfort.

Nov 11, 2011 at 9:35 AM Post #4 of 4
I'll agree, the M50s feel very hot after a short listening time but then again, this is true for most headphones, even big open backed ones. One of the reasons i prefer IEM/speakers to headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back