Audio Technica ATH-m50 + SuperPro 707 = WOW
Dec 27, 2012 at 12:38 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

AZNracerx1989

New Head-Fier
I was a bit skeptical when I bought the m-50's because people say they are over-hyped and that the bass is bloated. On first impressions, they are a good upgrade over my modded ksc75's (which I can't stand listening to now). After a few days, I did notice that the bass is a bit too strong and boomy when used with my Iphone 4s.

When I connected the ATH-m50 to my superpro 707 dac, the bloated bass was gone! It sounds very clean. I have a sound system that is over $5k  and it has nothing on these. Seems like a DAC makes a huge difference. The iphone 4s is too heavy on bass and the superpro dac cleaned it right up. If you think your m-50 is boomy, you might want to try a new dac. Hopefully one day I will get to experience more expensive headphones and see how they are, but for now I have to say these m-50's are really good.

Dec 27, 2012 at 10:22 AM Post #2 of 3

The iPhone 4S has a completely flat frequency response, as you can see in this graph. It sounds like your DAC rolls off the low frequencies, which would make it sound good paired with headphones with boosted bass. On the flip side, the same DAC paired with a Sennheiser HD800 would sound anemic. The best thing to do is use a DAC and amp with a flat response and choose headphones with the sound profile that you prefer. Afterwords, you can EQ to your liking. I also own the M50 and the bass response is even throughout the range, with the slightest bit of rolloff below 40 Hz. I use the Denon Audio EQ app with my iPod touch 4th gen (the app is free!). With this app, you can pick and choose the exact frequencies you want to adjust. You can EQ the 32-250 Hz range down a few dB if you think the bass is on the heavy side.

Dec 27, 2012 at 4:11 PM Post #3 of 3
cool, i did not know that. Thanks for sharing!

wow, just checked out that denon app and it is awesome too! :D I kinda wish it would work to all music instead of just in-app though. Because I listen to alot of music in different programs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back