Audio Technica ATH - M50 or Sony MDR - 1R?
Dec 4, 2013 at 12:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

kirtusl92

New Head-Fier
Why hello there.

I have finally decided to buy a pair of headphones, and it seems that this forum contains the people who can help me do it.

I have narrowed it down to either the Audio Technica ATH - M50 or Sony MDR - 1R.

I have the money for either one of them, just not both of them.

Should i buy the former and just buy a new house, or should i buy the latter and apply for a second mortgage?

And just in case you are wondering, I listen to a lot (if not, exclusively) to dnb. Which of the two headphones are better for the genre?

Also, to any of those who own either one of these headphones, please let me know how much they leak sound.

I greatly prefer listening to music in high volume (if I put that in an iphone's perspective, it would be around a little over 3/4 of the volume bar)

Now, when it comes to these two headphones, I am probably sure that the Sony ones sound better. My question would be, by how much?

Is it really worth the extra 100 dollars, in terms of dnb?

Let me know, you audio loving sexy studs.

Dec 8, 2013 at 11:14 PM Post #3 of 7
That should help http://www.head-fi.org/t/639948/review-closed-portable-circumaural-around-ear-headphone-comparison-m50-z1000-tma-1-s-momentum-ue6000-mdr-1r

Dec 13, 2013 at 5:01 PM Post #6 of 7
Ones MidFi and m withones entry level.

The M50 are quite balanced with a sharp treble and dull mids but good bass. The MDR-1R are more Mid focused and warm with a more relaxing sound. The overall quality of the 1R is superior. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back