Audio-Technica ATH-M50 or Shure SRH840 ?
Aug 6, 2013 at 4:18 AM Post #16 of 31
Guys the Fostex T50RP is $30 less on amazon than the ATH-M50.

jupitreas says it's better than both the ATH-M50 and the SRH-840 ?

If that's the case, then I'd much rather get the Fostex T50RP

it has 3 versions, Not sure which one I should get exactly

RP-Series Closed Headphones $89
RP-Series Damped Semi-Open Headphones $120
RP-Series Semi-Open Headphones $91

SRH-840 $150
ATH-M50 $159

Aug 6, 2013 at 5:00 AM Post #17 of 31
Quote:

SRH-840 $150
ATH-M50 $159 

My guess is that the first one is actually the T40RP, while the third one might be the T50RP stock. The second one might have been modded by the seller to make it sound even better, but if this is just some random eBay seller, I would be careful with buying a pre-damped T50RP. It would probably be better to buy one stock and mod it yourself, based on the very many T50RP modding threads here on head-fi. Alternatively, look for a damped T50RP here in the classifieds section.

Aug 6, 2013 at 5:16 AM Post #18 of 31
Quote:

SRH-840 $150
ATH-M50 $159

If you're willing to mod them sure. And even then you'd need a pretty good amplifier capable of delivering the current needed for the ortho.

Personally I'd pick Shure 840 if I want that kind of soundsig (midcentric) hassle free.

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:01 AM Post #19 of 31
They are all supposed to be
Fostex T50RP's

It's from amazon, and it's a reputed seller here is the link;

http://www.amazon.com/Fostex-Semi-Open-Headphones-Commercial-Applications/dp/B0002MT6RY/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1375800872&sr=8-1&keywords=t50+rp

I'm a bit confused now, I was originally leaning on the SRH-840’s, Then after for build quality and comfort as you guys said I thought ok the ATH M50

And after some due to recommendations I thought ok the Fostex T50RP is the better on that I didn’t know of.

And now a few have recommended the SRH-840’s J

So back to square one J, I know it’s very subjective I’d go for quality and comfort if it’s very close.

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:22 AM Post #20 of 31
In terms of comfort, the ATH-M50 (and the Fostex as well) definitely beat the SRH840, which is notorious for its lack of comfort.

Want to be even more confused?
You can also consider the Ultrasone HFI580 :)

Aug 6, 2013 at 11:28 AM Post #21 of 31
840 is a bit heavier than M50, T50RP with stock pad is a bit uncomfortable since it's shallow, especially compared to the two. None of them as torturing as LCD2 or Hifiman's planar though and you'll probably get used to it in no time.

Aug 14, 2013 at 3:32 PM Post #22 of 31
I would take the 840 myself. I've had my pair for a while now and can attest to its gr4eat build. I know I had the chance to audition the m50 at6 a fairly recent audio event. To me, the M50 just felt cheaply built. The Shure, despite the draw-back of the weight makes up for itself with an incredible track record of durability. Mine have been beat to heck and back and still sound amazing.

Now here's the thing, I hate the term "better" as it pertains to headphones, as in reality there really is no such thing. There are different signatures, yes. In this case the mild v-shape of the m50 makes it a bit more popular in the general consumer market. Indeed, the much of the success of the m50 can be attributed to is cross market appeal, for it can in many cases pass for "audiophile."

The 840 on the other hand has a touch more of a professional/entusiest feel to it in my opinion. The signature is a touch more neutral than the m50. You see, these to headphone have a nearly opposite sound, from a graphic perspective.

Let me explain, the V of the m50 is accentuating the upper and lower regions of the song. Whereas the 840 is very much a mid centric can. I believe this may be the reason many accuse it of rolled off treble. Real or not the more forward mids make it seem mildly so. However, I whole heartedly believe the 840 is certainly one of the best headphones in this price range.

Aug 15, 2013 at 1:52 AM Post #23 of 31
hi Guys,

I got a barely used white audio-technica ATH-M50s for $125 from a shipped from one of the headfiers in this forum's sales section.

I think that's ok.

To be honest though after the end of this thread, I'm still equally confused as to which one to get. Like some one said at the begenining it's too close to call I guess.

Either way, thanks a bunch for all the information, very much apreciated.

Aug 15, 2013 at 11:55 AM Post #25 of 31
Quote:
You can't go wrong with any of them. Enjoy the M50s. 

+1

And many of us are already considering our next headphone the same day that our
most current purchase arrives.  :)  

Aug 17, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #28 of 31
I have the M50's and like an idiot, put leather food on the pleather ear pads. I am awaiting Shure 840 earpads in the mail, and if I can remember, I will let you know if this is the match made in heaven (great combo)

Aug 18, 2013 at 12:33 AM Post #29 of 31
Great Thank you.

Nov 24, 2016 at 9:57 AM Post #30 of 31
Now, I'm awakening this thread...
What about their comparison for metal music (mostly Megadeth, Dream theater kinda bands, thrash-progressive metal)
But at the same time, they should not be lame overall. I mean, I need great sounding high clarity cans for metal music and decent, adequate overall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back