Audio Technica ATH M50 or Monster N-Pulse?
Jul 23, 2013 at 8:26 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Drummah

New Head-Fier
Hello everyone,

I'm looking to buy a new pair of headphones. I'm not sure which to get. Currently I am looking at the Audio Technica ATH m50, and the Monster N-Pulse.
I've heard the Monsters last week and they sound great and above all are really REALLY comfortable, but unfortunately I can't try out the Audio Technica's anywhere here.

The purpose of these headphones: I mix and produce music (pop, indie, hiphop, rock, funk, some classical stuff and jazz) but I also want headphones to 'enjoy' music (same genres). I read that the Audio Technica's are built for mixing, with a flat frequency response, but made not to much for enjoying music. I read about for instance the (painfully overpriced) Beats Studio headphones that they are very VERY bass heavy, which the N-Pulse headphones aren't so much, which make the N-pulses seem like a good mix of the bass heavy (beats) and mixing headphones (audio technica). I do want them to be closed, because I do a lot of mixing on public transportation, and in other noisy environments. What are your thoughts on this? 

Thank you very much in advance!

Joep

Jul 23, 2013 at 12:28 PM Post #2 of 4
Forgot to mention, I prefer headphones that don't need an amp, because i'll be using them whilst traveling too. Thats also why I'm considering the Monsters. They seem more portable.

Thanks again!

Jul 29, 2013 at 3:41 PM Post #3 of 4
Anyone please? I'd really like some advice on this.

Is is for instance possible to put a EQ with some low cut on the master output while recording/producing with headphones which are somewhat heavier on bass? Will this work?

Thanks.

Sep 24, 2013 at 9:11 AM Post #4 of 4
This is an easy one. I own both and although they are both great headphones the Monster nPulse edge out the M-50's in every way. They are more portable because the cord on the M-50's are really long, the sound signature is close but the nPulse headphones are better with portable devices (they are louder than the M-50's) The bass is never overpowering in the Monster headphones and the mids and highs sound fantastic. I am not quite sure how they would be for studio monitors but I know the M-50's have a colored sound as well so you wouldn't be getting a flat response with either. Get the Monster nPulse on eBay for under $100 and I promise that you will never look back

Users who are viewing this thread

Back