Audio-Technica ATH-M50 Opinions
Nov 5, 2009 at 8:14 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 15

CyberAthlete

100+ Head-Fier
I found these babies for $95, new, so was wondering if that's a good bargain. How's the isolation on these? I've heard bass is nice and tight, so that solves the problem of my HD555. I like my HD555, they're clear but lack bass.

Main use will be for video games and they'll be plugged in a Harmon Kardan AVR 220 receiver.

Any others that you may recommened/suggest that have nice sound isolation that compete within that price range ($100-$150), clear in the highs and mids, and have tight lows. Thank you.

Nov 5, 2009 at 8:37 PM Post #3 of 15
Just received my pair today. I must say that so far I'm beyond impressed. Bass is nice and tight (also has a nice rumble to it at times), treble isn't fatiguing, and the mids are just about perfect for rock and metal. Surprisingly, the soundstage is pretty good for a closed can IMO. Isolation is quite good--I can't hear the sound of my typing, doors closing, or my roommate snoring while wearing them.

In conclusion, I can definitely see why Headroom lists them as one of the ten best headphones they offer.

Nov 5, 2009 at 8:41 PM Post #4 of 15
I'm most likely going to go with them now. Anyone have any experience/idea about this seller on ebay: globalsoundnlight

Thanks!

Nov 5, 2009 at 8:45 PM Post #5 of 15
Or any particular seller on ebay you recommend?

Nov 5, 2009 at 8:52 PM Post #6 of 15
I bought mine from B & H Photo and Video. While they aren't as cheap as they eBay sellers, I've always had great experiences with them. Plus, they are most definitely an AT authorized dealer, so the warranty is valid. They would have been $130 with free ground shipping, but I payed an extra $6 for 2-day shipping. Although if you want the straight cable version, you might be better off going with eBay as most places charge less for the coil.

Nov 5, 2009 at 8:59 PM Post #7 of 15
These phones are a little bass heavy for FPS (COD4)/ 3PS (Gears2). I find them a little distracting when trying to pinpoint players on multiplayer. But that being said. I love my phones and I'm pretty competitive when it comes to games. They are still a lot better than 2 speakers. And with phones ideal for my gaming I have found don't give me enough bass for music.

Don't know about that seller. I went with brianf $105 shipped. Best I found at the time. Had no complaints.

Nov 5, 2009 at 9:02 PM Post #8 of 15
Thanks Static, yea I am VERY competitive when it comes to video games. I definitely would love some rumbles and what not. I guess you can always turn the bass down from your receiver controls. But given the rave reviews these have been getting, I can use them for sure...I have brianf in my watch list and most definitely will pick these up from him.

Another question, these have decently emulated surround sound effect? Is one able to "pinpoint" the direction from where the sound is coming?

Nov 5, 2009 at 9:36 PM Post #9 of 15
I'm not sure. But I think so. I got a little upset and broke my mic and haven't touched multiplayer since. @#$@!@#$ one shot downs man. That was about an hour into using the m50's. But from what I got from Gears is yes after some practice and ear training. Although I didn't make it that far.

I suppose its time to buy a mic and start playing again, but I like having my life back. I get sucked in man. 8-9 hours a day.. I got it bad.

Nov 5, 2009 at 11:25 PM Post #11 of 15
Quote:

Originally Posted by CyberAthlete /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone have any experience/idea about this seller on ebay: globalsoundnlight

i've had my eye on this listing as well but the straight cord one says 6 available but that it is currently out of stock with a month wait.

can you list stuff on ebay that is out of stock? feedback seems good and the coiled version doesn't have the delay in the listing, but also says 6 available

Nov 6, 2009 at 12:45 AM Post #12 of 15
I used globalsoundnlight to purchase mine...they had the best price on them by far, free shipping, and they were at my house FAST (3 or 4 days I can't remember, but great considering the shipping was free)...definitely one of the best transactions I have ever made on ebay...you have nothing to fear with these guys...

oh and also, great choice, the headphones are phenomenal...isolation is great, and the longer you burn them in the better they sound...I thought they sounded nice out of the box, but I'm now at around 70 hours of listening time and the sound quality just keeps getting better & better.

Nov 6, 2009 at 12:48 AM Post #13 of 15
oh, forgot to mention I got the coiled cable ones so I'm not sure on the out of stock straight cord ones...I would just send globalsoundnlight a message and see what they tell you...when I dealt with them the communication was great so I am thinking they will get back to you fairly quickly

Nov 6, 2009 at 6:58 AM Post #15 of 15
I bought mine from "brianf". Excellent communication and feedback, and he too sells them for $90 (just make an offer and they'll accept it). Free shipping. Can't wait to receive them! Thanks guys! My next purchase will probably be the beyer DT770 Pro or the Ultrasone HFI-780. Will see. Gotta stay within my budget
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back