audio technica ath m50 headphones vs. skullcandy ink"d 2 earbuds
Feb 8, 2013 at 2:21 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

Benyt

New Head-Fier
The audio technica ath m50 coiled headphones is about $120 and the Skullcandy ink"d 2 earbuds are $20. Which one is better? I would assume the m50 since it's even $100 more, but i read recently that i would get the same quality with the $20 skull candy ink d 2 Earbuds. I kind of doubt it though, but the review looked convincing, and i don't want to spend an extra $100 if i can get $20 earbuds that's as good. I've never spent over $40 on any type of earphones before and since i love music, I'm thinking about going for the audio technica ath m50. But this comparison that $20 earbuds is the same quality or even better, is giving me second thoughts. Please give some feedback on what you think, and if the $100 ath m50s coiled are worth getting. Thank you.

Feb 8, 2013 at 2:33 PM Post #2 of 14
ATH-M50 will be FAR FAR better.

You may want to look into some V-MODA cans if you are looking for style. 

Feb 8, 2013 at 5:35 PM Post #6 of 14
ALso, are the audio technica ath m50 really worth it? It's like $120 for a headphones so it's hard to decide. I'm just thinking to buy it for easy and usual listening, not studio work or any of that professional work. So for a regular music listener, will it be good? Thanks

Feb 8, 2013 at 5:41 PM Post #7 of 14
I don't see how it's possible a 20 pair of ear buds can sound better. The drivers in the ATH-M50 are 45mm compared to the size of a ear bud? 

You could look into some other options such as:

V-Moda M80
Ultrasone HFI-780
and some others. 

What type of music do you like? Do you like bass? 

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:39 PM Post #8 of 14
Quote:
I don't see how it's possible a 20 pair of ear buds can sound better. The drivers in the ATH-M50 are 45mm compared to the size of a ear bud? 

You could look into some other options such as:

V-Moda M80
Ultrasone HFI-780
and some others. 

What type of music do you like? Do you like bass? 

I can see it coming from typical Skullcandy/Beats fanboys who've heard about the M50 but never listened to it.

Feb 8, 2013 at 6:57 PM Post #9 of 14
Quote:
ALso, are the audio technica ath m50 really worth it? It's like $120 for a headphones so it's hard to decide. I'm just thinking to buy it for easy and usual listening, not studio work or any of that professional work. So for a regular music listener, will it be good? Thanks

There's nothing wrong with spending $120 on a headphone for casual listening. Plenty of people here have $2000+ headphones and they don't do professional work, just enjoy that sweet, sweet music.   

Oh yeah, it will sound good. And it doesn't stop there: it's amazing just how good things can sound as you get better and better gear - nobody believes it until they've tried it. If you are like most people here, this first "big" purchase will only be the beginning. In only a few years you'll eventually come to think those $120 headphones are "budget" or "cheap."

Feb 8, 2013 at 9:33 PM Post #10 of 14
Skullcandy Ink'd aren't actually that bad IEMs for the price. The ATH-M50 is pretty cool, but has some recessed mids which is somewhat of a turnoff. What sorts of music do you enjoy and do you like extra bass or treble?

Feb 9, 2013 at 3:50 PM Post #11 of 14
Honestly, i don't care much for extra.bass, etc. but, in my car, i had all the settings, treble, bass and midrange on the highest because i thought it sounded better. I just want an overall good, balanced pair of headphones. Hopefully, I'll have made a good decision getting the ath m50s. Thanks all. One more question though...i like listening to music in the car too, are the m50s portable somewhat. And, I'm gonna get the coiled version, the straight one isn't technologically superior.right?

Feb 9, 2013 at 9:21 PM Post #13 of 14
Quote:
Honestly, i don't care much for extra.bass, etc. but, in my car, i had all the settings, treble, bass and midrange on the highest because i thought it sounded better. I just want an overall good, balanced pair of headphones. Hopefully, I'll have made a good decision getting the ath m50s. Thanks all. One more question though...i like listening to music in the car too, are the m50s portable somewhat. And, I'm gonna get the coiled version, the straight one isn't technologically superior.right?

The straight vs the coiled cable will make no difference. The Coiled cable will better for portability tho. 

Feb 12, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #14 of 14
what a pair of soundmagic e30's for 40 bucks shipped from amazon? much lower and overall a very high rated headphone for sound quality. i ordered mine, however they shipped the wrong ones. they did make it right by overnighting me the correct pair. ill have them tomorrow. cant wait.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back