Audio Technica ATH-M50 Does anyone know anything about this?
Jul 10, 2008 at 4:43 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

bigizzy75

100+ Head-Fier
Hey Head-fi Nation,

I was going around the forums and a certain post mentioned the Audio Technica ATH-M50 Professional Headphones and they were intriguing and I rather hear comments from you guys than from potential marketing "reviews" made at purchasing websites.

Well if you guys could please help submitting some informations on these Headphones it would be AMAZINGLY appreciated,

Thanks in advance,

Izzy

Jul 10, 2008 at 6:28 AM Post #2 of 21
The ATH-M50s are my go-to closed headphones for casual, unamped listening these days. For reference, I also own the M-Audio Q40 (great headphones as well -- just a bit uncomfortable for me), Denon D1000, Sony MDR-V6, Equation Audio RP-21, and JVC HP-M1000 (though those are still burning in). As I said recently in another thread, I find the ATH-M50 provides a nice balance between studio monitor neutrality and Audio Technica excitement. Nothing in the audio spectrum sticks out too much or seems too recessed, the highs are present but relatively unfatiguing, bass is full and responsive, mids clear and uncongested, comfort is great, cord is robust and of a great length for portability...I like 'em.
biggrin.gif
I can reasonably guess that they'd only improve with a good amp in the mix.

Jul 10, 2008 at 6:45 PM Post #3 of 21
awesome, so what music would the be geared towards? It seems like not alot of peopel have these. How is the isolation. I am really feeling good about these, I'm going to use them straight out of a laptop and ipod.

Jul 10, 2008 at 8:36 PM Post #5 of 21
To my ears, the ATH-M50 are VERY bassy and the mids are scooped.Totally non accurate, non-flat, whatever. It's just a big bassy muuddy mess with no mids and lots of piercing treble. Very scooped sounding.

Having that said, I still prefer them over the Sony 7506 because the 7506 are just unlistenable to me. But the amount of midrange scoop is about the same between the two, the ATH-M50 has MUCH more bass (all kinds of bass) and slightly less piercing treble.

Remember, it's not because a can is designed for the studio that it sounds good.

Also, the M50 are A-T's knockoff of the 7506, in case you haven't figured out yet.

Jul 10, 2008 at 8:49 PM Post #6 of 21
agree with Philco. M50 has big bass and kinda non-accurate sound.

but to me, it's not too muddy to listen to.
smily_headphones1.gif

I enjoy them some sort of pop and rock music, but no longer used after getting ESW9.
biggrin.gif

Jul 11, 2008 at 12:40 AM Post #9 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by Philco /img/forum/go_quote.gif
To my ears, the ATH-M50 are VERY bassy and the mids are scooped.Totally non accurate, non-flat, whatever. It's just a big bassy muuddy mess with no mids and lots of piercing treble. Very scooped sounding.

Having that said, I still prefer them over the Sony 7506 because the 7506 are just unlistenable to me. But the amount of midrange scoop is about the same between the two, the ATH-M50 has MUCH more bass (all kinds of bass) and slightly less piercing treble.

Remember, it's not because a can is designed for the studio that it sounds good.

Also, the M50 are A-T's knockoff of the 7506, in case you haven't figured out yet.

Well, that's one opinion.

Remember, it's not because an opinion is forceful that it's conclusive.
tongue.gif

In my experience, the ATH-M50's mids are definitely less scooped than the 7506/v6's, and their treble is noticeably less piercing. I have to disagree about the bass as well: it's big but relatively clear and punchy on my pair, without the pervasive muddiness Philco hears. It may not be the deepest, flattest bass, but it certainly doesn't overwhelm me or the rest of the music I listen to (which, to answer bigizzy75's question, is typically indie-rock, dance-pop, indie hip-hop, and electronic). Classical fans may have a very different feeling about these cans, but they work quite well for my music of choice.

Jul 11, 2008 at 2:47 AM Post #10 of 21
thank you guys, I appreciate the direct answers. So would I just be better off purchasing an IEM instead of these headphones? I was looking at these headphones simply to where around study areas where I can listen to music without listening to others and them not listening to me. I enjoy Classic Rock Music and a variaty of mix genres but mostly I want an exciting feeling out of a headphone that will get me pumped while long hours of studing. I also wanted them to be portable incase I wanted to walk arounnd campus with them or travel. Is there another headphone around its price range that will have pumping bass but still have amazing mids so I can enjoy guitar riffs. Yet I can hook up to a computer or an Ipod and that should be enough to power the headphones. I currently have the denon d2000, although they are amazing they leak why to much sound for public places. What would you suggest

Jul 30, 2008 at 9:00 PM Post #12 of 21
I have the M50's and conclude that these sound very different through a hi-fi amp compared to an iPod...to the point that I think they are almost unlistenable through a 'pod.

I would take a pair of Senn PX100 for iPod any day over these...

However, through my Hi-Fi, these sound awesome and its hard not to keep cranking the volume up (deafness alert!)...btw, i listen to vocal trance...and the M50's are able to put me right in the middle of the music...

Jul 31, 2008 at 2:17 AM Post #13 of 21
Quote:

Originally Posted by encrypted_trance /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have the M50's and conclude that these sound very different through a hi-fi amp compared to an iPod...to the point that I think they are almost unlistenable through a 'pod.

I've suspected these 'phones would scale well with a good amp (though I'm personally quite happy listening to them through my DAP alone). Could you describe how they change and what makes them "almost unlistenable" to you straight from the iPod? Which hi-fi amp are you using, BTW?

Aug 4, 2008 at 8:44 PM Post #14 of 21
I'll try...

Through an iPod, you can just hear the music is not consistent and dynamic compared to a hi-fi amp (Arcam Alpha 8R). I think this is typically expected by the latest generation of iPods not having the power to really drive the M50s.

To articulate further - through the iPod, the bass doesn't have a 'whipcrack' impact as it does through a hi-fi. Although the treble is there, it doesn't 'hang' - i.e. sounds like a very flat soundstage. Ultimately, I find them uninvolving through an iPod.

As said, change to the Hi-Fi...even the headphone out on my Marantz 67 OSE CD player, and these are another kettle of highly addictive fish!

Its a subjective opinion - so your mileage may vary...

Sep 26, 2008 at 5:14 AM Post #15 of 21
Resurrecting this thread...
I too, am looking at these. I currently am using the Sony MDR-700. Purchased many, many moons ago. I think now they are numbered MDR700DJ. I like these but really have no experience with other headphones except for Koss KSC75's w/kramer mod and Shure E4c's. Most of the listening would be thru my iPod w/ iBasso D2 Boa and occasionally my Macbook Pro.
Anyone able to compare the M50's vs. the Sony MDR-700?
Music I listen too varies from classic/modern/indie rock, lots o' Jazz and electronica.
Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back