Audio-Technica ATH M50 comfort issue
Jan 5, 2013 at 1:37 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

The Real MaZe

New Head-Fier
Hello Head-Fi.
I finally got around to making an account on here, because I really need to ask a few things regarding the M50's.

Basically, I've had these headphones for around 6 months now and I enjoy the sound from them quite alot. However when I was in the process of looking over reviews for each headphone, I would not really care about the comfort rating (yes, I realize that was quite a foolish thing to do now). Now I do remember alot of people saying these headphones are quite comfortable in their reviews, but dear god I couldn't disagree more. Maybe it's because I got the limited edition version, but these things clamp really tight around my head, and to be completely blunt, the pleather absolutely sucks. I can wear these things for a few hours max before I need to take them off for the day.

So anyway, what I would like to know is if it is possible for me to replace the pleather pads with Velour ones. I remember reading numerous threads about this but none of them really had a definitive answer, and that's why I made an account now to ask for myself, because I'm pretty desperate. I'd really like to just put my headphones on and enjoy listening to music for hours and hours but that just isn't possible right now due to how downright uncomfortable these are at the moment.
I also understand that some people say it will hurt the sound quality to change the pads. So another question I have is how bad will the sound quality be hurt from changing the pads? I obviously don't want them to completely wreck the sound, but if it's very minor then I think I'ma just go for it in favor of comfort.

Also which velour pads would you guys recommend?

Oh and two last very minor things (not related to the comfort problem). I'm plugging my m50s straight into my computer currently and was wondering what I could do to maximize the sound quality of my headphones. Like should I buy a DAC? If so which one would you recommend? I play games etc with my headphones, but I'm fine with the sound quality I'm getting from games already, so I pretty much only care about increasing the sound quality of music I'm listening to.
Finally my m50's have a hissing/staticy sound when plugged in, I have to rotate the errr...the thing you plug into the computer for the hissing to stop, though it ends up coming back if I move the wire sometimes. Could this problem be alleviated if I get a DAC perhaps?

Sorry for asking so many questions, and thanks in advance.

Jan 5, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #2 of 5
Hi there!

ATH-M50 earpads are made of pleather, therefore it isolates sound. Alternatively, the velour pads leaks sound which means more place for the sound from the speaker to flow. When there's more space for the sound to flow, just like an 27-inch woofer. You place it at the corner you get more bass. Velour earpads will degrade the lows. The advantage of losing lows on the ATH-M50 is that you will get slightly wider soundstage but the downside of it is that you will find the recessed mids much more noticeable & might be bright. [Just my knowledge] :)

You can try with the DT250 pads if you wanted to :)

Lastly, the 'thingy" you referring to at the last paragraph is called headphone jack. It's either because of your ATH-M50's cables are faulty or your PC soundcard are having some issue. From what I had tried, pairing with an amp for ATH-M50 will not improve the sound but if your PC soundcard are showing ages. The new FiiO E70K are the way to go. it has built in DAC, amp.

Just my 2cent :)

Jan 5, 2013 at 3:01 AM Post #3 of 5
You are not the first to complain about clamping force of the M50's. Before you decide on changing pads why don't you first try to stretch the headband first?

I agree with with what BillsonChang007 what will happen with the sound if you change the pads with velour ones. My friend did it with his M50 and I (who has stock white M50) didn't like the sound.

You should plug the headphones into the motherboard and not into the front jack, if you haven't done that already. That could help with the hissing noise. I like the recommendation about the Fiio e7 that the BillsonChang007 gave you. That will help with improving the sound quality.
Or you can go for a sound card, like the one I have and am super happy with it, asus xonar dg. Sound card is the less expensive option and you get dolby surround for gaming or movie watching if you like that and a decent amp.

Hope it helps a bit :)

Jan 5, 2013 at 3:20 AM Post #4 of 5
Thanks for the answers so far.
Honestly, I've tried stretching the headband by leaving the headphones clamped to a wide box for a few nights. It loosened it up for sure, but still not enough for them to feel comfortable. I really think it's the pleather pads causing me discomfort now more than the clamping.
If changing to velour pads will truly wreck the sound quality though, then I don't think it's going to be worth switching to them.
I may be forced into buying some different headphones (which is the last thing I wanted to do) if there is nothing I can do to up the comfort factor, which so far doesn't seem possible...I guess this is my just deserts for neglecting to think more carefully about comfort.

Jan 5, 2013 at 3:39 AM Post #5 of 5
Instead of buying new headphone(as I find ATH-M50 are best CLOSED headphone for it's price & for basshead. So maybe here's a mod you can try[I never try it before but I see good responds.] http://www.head-fi.org/t/553303/ath-m50-cush-x2-mod-for-incredible-comfort-and-sound-5megapixel-photos Won't hurt from trying it :)

Have fun! :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back