Audio Technica ATH-M50 Choices?
Sep 2, 2012 at 2:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

takubi

New Head-Fier
So I was considering buying the Audio Technica ATH-M50's. But was wondering whether I should get the coiled chord version or the straight chord version. Please keep in mind that if I got the straight chord version, I would most likely end up braiding it because of its length.

Thanks,
Tommy Kubitschek

Sep 2, 2012 at 6:45 AM Post #2 of 13
There is no difference in sound between them so its up to personal preference. I personally find that coiled cables pull down on the earcup a bit more for me than staight cables, so I always go for straight cables.

Sep 2, 2012 at 3:33 PM Post #4 of 13
I get straight cables because of the look. Coiled cables just look so outdated and unstylish. Especially if you plan on using the M50s at home, get the straight version. 

Sep 3, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #6 of 13
....and coiled cable can get all twisted up just like those old telephones. I like the straight cable.

Sep 3, 2012 at 2:03 PM Post #9 of 13
I like coiled a lot more. They tend to be much more durable/tug-proof and they tangle less for me.

Sep 3, 2012 at 2:10 PM Post #10 of 13
Well I mean, the coiled cable is only useful if you're planning to go around outside using it as it forgives tugs. But then it kind of defeats the purpose since the coiled cable is bulkier, heavier, and you look like a total idiot wearing them (IMO). 

But I guess it comes down to personal preference. 

The coiled cables really do pull down on the earcups though, and they annoyingly swing wider and can whack things when you move. 

Sep 3, 2012 at 2:21 PM Post #11 of 13
The coiled cable on my 840s never pulls down on the ear cups, but that's probably because they're so large and heavy in the first place.
It's pretty nice when moving around my mini recording studio to not have to worry about ripping it out of the jack or having it dangle on the floor when I'm up close like straight cables do. Always "slinkys" to the perfect length.

I like how coiled looks more as well, perhaps I'm alone there.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back