Audio Technica ATH-M50 38Ω - Cmoybb, E7, E11 or Other?
Mar 14, 2012 at 2:50 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

Ferrari5180

New Head-Fier
Hello all,

Thanks for taking the time to help out. I am having a hard time finding someone who has used these to listen to Metalcore, Screamo, Heavy Metal etc...

I will be using the amp with an Ipod 30 class and an L3 Fiio ipod amp bypass link. I don't mind a bass boost, as the ATH-M50 are more neutral. However, I do not want too much bass as I wouldn't mind from time to time using the amp with my Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80Ω (who have more bass, but are not ass "bass" as some have told me).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Carlo

Mar 14, 2012 at 5:17 PM Post #2 of 5
the e11 is a pure amp. the e7 and e17 are dac/amps. if youre just lookin for an amp. the e11 would be fine. the PA2V2 would work too, also a pure amp. 

im in a similar situation. i want an amp for my m50's. ive never used a dac before, so i also want to try that. not sure if its worth payin more for the e17 when the e7 is similar. let me know what you decide on. 

Mar 14, 2012 at 7:50 PM Post #3 of 5
I'm currently using the PAV2V with my Beyerdynamic dt 770 Pro 80Ω and am loving them. I just want something different to try out, and something that will pair well with both the Beyers and ATH-M50 (even though I know they are fairly different in sound signature).

Apr 4, 2012 at 2:05 PM Post #4 of 5
For what it's worth, given what your setup is, I would get the E11.  The E17's EQ settings don't do as good a job in the bass regions (it's not bad, just not as good as the E11) and the iPod already has a good DAC built in so I wouldn't necessarily go for the E17.  If you're planning on using your headphones with another source that doesn't have a good DAC built in, then you may want to consider the E17 as it can basically act as an external sound card due to the DAC.  All that being said, the E11 is a tremendous value and will open up your M50's.  I'm running that setup right now and the sound is just incredible.  BTW - I own both the E17 and the E11 and I personally prefer the E11 for sound (just slightly) and the E17 is a phenomenal deal for the functionality it has.

Quote:
Hello all,

Thanks for taking the time to help out. I am having a hard time finding someone who has used these to listen to Metalcore, Screamo, Heavy Metal etc...

I will be using the amp with an Ipod 30 class and an L3 Fiio ipod amp bypass link. I don't mind a bass boost, as the ATH-M50 are more neutral. However, I do not want too much bass as I wouldn't mind from time to time using the amp with my Beyerdynamic DT 770 Pro 80Ω (who have more bass, but are not ass "bass" as some have told me).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thank you,

Carlo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back